Favorite paint and primer for submerged usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite paint and primer for submerged usage

Im going to build a staircase out of steel that goes from land into a river and will be half submerged most of the year. Obviously with the wear and tear of the river, especially during floods, nothing is going to be permanent, but I'm wondering what your favorite spray paint and primer is for marine use. Anyone have a suggestion?

how about bottom paint that they use on boats. otherwise I have no clue

Comment

Stainless steel?

Comment

Stainless or aluminum is my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
          Stainless or aluminum is my vote.
          Agreed that aluminum would be ideal in a lot of ways...though I was hoping to make this a $500 project and not a $2500 project. Also, with the flow of the river, the weight and strength of the steel will help keep it in place when it floods. I considered stainless...though it would still need to be painted as even stainless is going to rust with constant water exposure. I figured if I use 1/4" thick steel and paint it with a good marine paint, It should last at least 15 years...but then again, ive never built anything like this before. Anyone else have experience with metal that is going to be submerged? Suggestions?

Comment

Before you paint it, make sure you break all sharp edges. Paint does not like to adhere well to 90 degree edges, it will thin out and eventually pull away.

What about powder coating or galvanizing?

Comment

I'd use one of the epoxy barrier coating products like Interlux Interprotect or something like that, then cover with some kind of bottom paint (shouldn't need copper since you don't really care about fouling, I don't think) and call it good.

You could even probably get away with epoxy mixed with a UV blocker such as aluminum powder...and no paint...if you used epoxy, you could also probably toss some bank sand on top before it cures to give it anti-skid properties (it will get slimy when submerged for long, which will lead to accidents if swimmers use it when it's submerged)
              Last edited by Helios; 05-03-2017, 06:31 AM.

Comment

por 15 for a primer
                ---Meltedmetal

Comment

i own a collision shop in Pa, i have alot of customers that are in the same situation only that they worry about the rust on there vehicle frame. what we do in my shop is use a epoxy primer base (they come in different colors gray, black white, can also be tinted different shades.) then apply color and then clear the entire frame. what your looking for is the last coat to have no porosity. for what your doing i would just epoxy paint and clear.

Comment

Tnemec makes paint for immersion. It's ok. The issue you're going run into being in the river is damage to the coating from debris.

https://www.tnemec.com/company/resou...ment/?doc=1221

Comment

Years ago I built water tanks for fire trucks. The interior of the tanks, I coated with rust oleum system 9300 epoxy paint, I think. 20 years later the tanks were still in good shape. My two bits, good luck. John

Comment

Go with a marine epoxy bottom paint, and attach a zinc anode to it as well.
                        Ryan
                        MILLERMATIC 350P w/Bernard BTB300 w/XR-A Python 25'
                        MULTIMATIC 200 w/Spoolmate 100 w/TIG w/Wireless pedal
                        SPECTRUM 375 X-Treme
                        (2) DIGITAL ELITE helmets
                        Weld-Mask goggles/hood
                        OPTREL e684 helmet
                        SMITH torches
                        HARRIS torches

Comment

POR-15 is designed for this similar type of application... It was originally designed as a coating for the interior of tanks aboard a ship.. Very robust, strong coating..
                          Hobby Welder for about 32 years
                          Hobart 190 MIG with SpoolGun
                          Hobart AirForce 700i Plasma Cutter
                          Hornell Speedglas 9000X Helmet
                          295A AC Buzzbox (what I learned on)
                          Miller Bobcat 225, factory propane option, also serves as my emergency power generator
                          Dandeman's Toy Page

Comment

Originally posted by Helios View Post
                            I'd use one of the epoxy barrier coating products like Interlux Interprotect or something like that, then cover with some kind of bottom paint (shouldn't need copper since you don't really care about fouling, I don't think) and call it good.
                            Interlux brand "barrier coat" would be the best choice applied directly to bare steel. It is used on steel boat bottoms and is an epoxy. I've used it for years and it is awesome. It even fills pinholes and pits. Then topcoat with a paint that says "for below waterline usage"

If you wanna use spray cans then you will be probably best using the POR-15 as suggested.
                            I have had good luck with Rustoleum "self etching primer" in the green cap can. They have it everywhere like even Wal-mart. Then topcoat with their rust proof paint. Use several coats of both products....like several cans.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                            Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                            MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                            Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                            Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                            Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                            Miller WC-115-A
                            Miller Spectrum 300
                            Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                            Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post

Interlux brand "barrier coat" would be the best choice applied directly to bare steel. It is used on steel boat bottoms and is an epoxy. I've used it for years and it is awesome. It even fills pinholes and pits. Then topcoat with a paint that says "for below waterline usage"

If you wanna use spray cans then you will be probably best using the POR-15 as suggested.
                              I have had good luck with Rustoleum "self etching primer" in the green cap can. They have it everywhere like even Wal-mart. Then topcoat with their rust proof paint. Use several coats of both products....like several cans.
                              Thanks for the info! Sounds like the interlux epoxy coat might be the best option and also the cheapest considering how many cans of spray paint I would need to cover the stairs with primer and then paint. What is the purpose of doing a top coat over the interlux? Im not really worried about appearance. Is it necessary to protect or would it work without the top coat?

Comment

Working...
                              X