Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Yup, you guys were right. Spent most of the day behind the hood and running .035 solid wire on some 3/8" fence panels for a local restaurant's outdoor seating area. Welded about two panels, got the settings dialed in, went for the tip dip. Not one single time did I have to stop and clean the nozzle yesterday. Smells pretty nasty, but it worked as good as I would have expected it to. I'm glad someone brought the tip dip topic up. So once again boys, a successful hijack of a thread!

Leave a comment:

• clint738
    replied
    Ryan, I love the nozzle dip. I always weld a practice weld at the start of the day to check settings and get the nozzle and every thing hot, then straight into the nozzle dip maybe about between 3/16" to 1/8" of an inch or so... just enough to get the front of the nozzle and end portion of the contact tip coated. The stuff goes to liquid immediately and starts dripping out. If it doesn't go to liquid, then I didn't get it hot enough. I then feed out a few inches of wire and snip it off since I don't want to start my weld with wire coated with the nozzle dip.

A few weeks ago, I thought I'd forgo the nozzle dip and tried some Hobart anti-spatter spray. Sprayed the end of the nozzle, maybe got to much in the nozzle, but welding was horrible after that. Popping like I had just changed my machine settings. Could not figure out what was going on... Then went back to nozzle dip and popping and everything it was doing went away... I will probably will just stay with the nozzle dip from now on.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Ryan,some years ago when I got my first MIG welder I did the same thing as you the first time I tried it. Ended up arriving at the approach FusionKing describes after the first try was such a disaster, and it works great. You will love the stuff.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    The old MM250 of mine has a pretty harsh arc and I can get some amazing balls of spatter built up on my nozzle, so I think I'll give it another shot and try it like you do.

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    I dip it hot and let it drip back in. Then sling it off. I want a bit on the tip as well as the nozzle. But I don't want it to re-melt when I weld.
    You may be a spray guy. Some folks like cooking spray. I don't use it much on aluminum. Mainly for steel.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I knew that part. Maybe I should've taken the nozzle off and dipped it. I just shoved the whole dang thing down in there. Of course it was hot so it just schmooed all over that thing. I looked inside, didn't seem like it was packed. Guess it was. Maybe I'll get another tub and give it try without being a maniac.

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    I used that tip dip one time. As soon as I pulled the trigger all **** broke lose. Big ol spatter, porosity, just nasty. Maybe I used too much. I was so mad I tossed that plastic tub of tip dip into the art bin.
    Yes you used too much. And you are supposed to dip it when the nozzle is heated up.

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Get the Lincoln if you are worried about saving money or simply bargain hunting.
    They have an extended warranty (5 years) you can get on some products. Get that if you can.
    I say quit monkeying around and insulate and heat your shop. You will wonder why in the heck you never did in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I used that tip dip one time. As soon as I pulled the trigger all **** broke lose. Big ol spatter, porosity, just nasty. Maybe I used too much. I was so mad I tossed that plastic tub of tip dip into the art bin.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Guy View Post

LOL.... I can't. You must get them to get the rebate.
    Gotcha..............

Leave a comment:

• Old Guy
    replied
    Originally posted by H80N View Post

IMHO.... Get the Millermatic 211............. deduct the jacket & nozzle dip...............
    LOL.... I can't. You must get them to get the rebate. Not the dip though.
    Then I have to buy the tank and gas. They are bound and determined to sell me that Lincoln.
    Last edited by Old Guy; 03-10-2017, 05:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Guy View Post
    I had to go to the local supply shop to pick up some parts for my cousin and they know I am looking for a new welder....

They offered me two deals. They don't have a 215 and really want to sell me something in stock because they have had them a while.

Deal 1
    Miller 211, Miller gloves, jacket and Infinity helmet. Miller cover and a bottle of nozzle dip. $1,451.79 and $150.00 Miller rebate
    Final price $1,301.79 plus tax
    IMHO.... Get the Millermatic 211............. deduct the jacket & nozzle dip...............

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Go with your gut brother. I think it's great you're trying hard to buy from the local guy. The Lincoln has a good reputation as far as I can tell, otherwise, we've already discussed it at length. As I understand, the tig package for the Lincoln isn't cheap, but don't quote me on that. I heard there is a piece of hardware you have to install in order to use a foot pedal. Again, I'm not a subject matter expert on it and I can't speak for the customer service Lincoln offers. I can speak for the Miller customer service and tech support. Of all industries and of all tech support I've ever dealt with, Miller is hands down the best, the friendliest and most thorough. That's pretty dadgum valuable if you ask me.

Leave a comment:

• Old Guy
    replied
    I had to go to the local supply shop to pick up some parts for my cousin and they know I am looking for a new welder....

They offered me two deals. They don't have a 215 and really want to sell me something in stock because they have had them a while.

Deal 1
    Miller 211, Miller gloves, jacket and Infinity helmet. Miller cover and a bottle of nozzle dip. $1,451.79 and $150.00 Miller rebate
    Final price $1,301.79 plus tax

Same deal as #1 with a Miller 215 (no rebate) comes to $1,714.00 + tax

Deal 2
    Lincoln 210 MP, Gloves, Comparable helmet to Miller Infinity, welder cover, nozzle dip, small gas bottle (filled), welding sticks.
    Final price out the door $1,525.00 and will add TIG kit for $100.00 more.

I like to buy US made and deal with a local distributor but the Lincoln deal seems really tough to beat and they swear its a great machine that I can return if I don't like it. Their trying hard to sell me on this!

What do you guys think?

Leave a comment:

• tackit
    replied
    The SIL had to do a repair a few days ago in my cold unheated shop, he just flipped the switch on the MM251, did the repair and turned it off. It's been living outside since 2003. in 14 years it never once has caught a cold or the flu.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X