No announcement yet.

Help me choose....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really like the fact that the folks here do not seem to be biased to Miller products like I expected. Thats good.

So tet me try this. In the past I managed a maintenance shop for a large Company. We had stick, MIG and Heliarc welders. It seems Heliarc is now referred to as TIG, is this correct? I did a little of each but probably will not be doing any TIG welding now. Stick option would be nice but not necessary.

I do need 110/240 capability.

Machines I have looked at:

Lincoln 210MP - I believe it can do MIG, stick and TIG. Local shop offered it to me for $1,099.00 out the door and 1 free gas fill up if I buy a tank there.

Miller 211 - MIG only. Solid and flux core. $1159.00
    Miller 215 - MIG, TIG and stick. $1379.00

I believe these are the same machine with equal specs but the 215 can do TIG and stick for $200.00 more. I think the stick option alone is worth the extra $200.00

Hobart Handler 210 MVP - Seems to be the same machine as the Miller 211 without the automatic control and 7 fixed output ranges for $850.00

Please correct me if I am missing anything or wrong on this. They all look like nice machines but the digital readout screen and all the electronics going with it just looks like something else (and expensive) to go wrong and not really necessary.

The price is not a issue. Just want a good dependable machine that can live in the garage and occasional condensation out there is a issue for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post

Second that! Just tell your wife the peer pressure got so strong you had to give in.
      Iet me 3rd the motion ...........

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post

Iet me 3rd the motion ...........
        Let me 4th it. Heck I'm about to spend $1,500.00 for a toy. : D

Comment

Originally posted by Old Guy View Post

Let me 4th it. Heck I'm about to spend $1,500.00 for a toy. : D
          A "TOY" that will probably pay for itself in short order

and.... serve you well for many years..............

not to mention the possible pleasure ..... pride and goodwill generated
          Last edited by H80N; 03-03-2017, 10:57 AM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 200

Comment

If price isn't an option, get a 350P.

Comment

I really like the fact that the folks here do not seem to be biased to Miller products like I expected. Thats good.

So tet me try this. In the past I managed a maintenance shop for a large Company. We had stick, MIG and Heliarc welders. It seems Heliarc is now referred to as TIG, is this correct? I did a little of each but probably will not be doing any TIG welding now. Stick option would be nice but not necessary.

Lincoln 210MP - I believe it can do MIG, stick and TIG. Local shop offered it to me for $1,099.00 out the door and 1 free gas fill up if I buy a tank there.

I believe these are the same machine with equal specs but the 215 can do TIG and stick for $200.00 more. I think the stick option alone is worth the extra $200.00

Hobart Handler 210 MVP - Seems to be the same machine as the Miller 211 without the automatic control and 7 fixed output ranges for $850.00

Please correct me if I am missing anything or wrong on this. They all look like nice machines but the digital readout screen and all the electronics going with it just looks like something else (and expensive) to go wrong and not really necessary.

The price is not a issue. Just want a good dependable machine that can live in the garage and occasional condensation out there is a issue for me.

-- you are correct. Heliarc is now called TIG. But, Ryanjones still has Helga the Heliwelder. :-)

-- have you considered separate MIG and stick machines? Miller Thunderbolt and Hobart Stickmate machines can be had used for very reasonable prices, weld very well, and are incredibly bulletproof. I don't include the low-end Lincolns because I prefer the continuously variable current-but they also are good reliable welders. Then, just choose a MIG machine. If you want to avoid inverters/electronics due to concern for repair cost, the Hobarts are very good. All depends on what you want. Among others, I have the old transformer MM211, a GREAT welder, and a Thunderbolt AC/DC. If you never need TIG, and don't need high duty cycle, they are a great pair.

--are you sure you won't want TIG someday?

--and for what it's worth, I own Century/Lincoln MIG and stick welders also, but when I buy new now, it's Miller or Hobart. Personal opinion due to outstanding support.

Comment

I don't think the 210MP nor the Multimatic 215 will include the TIG options at those prices. The Miller has a couple of features that the Lincoln does not for TIG. One is that the Miller comes ready to plumb up the TIG stuff and has a separate connection for gas for TIG already installed.
                https://www.millerwelds.com/equipmen...-welder-m30090
                The Lincoln uses a torch mounted manual valve for gas.(I rigged up an adapter to use the MIG gas connection on my Lincoln but I have no pre-flow or post-flow) The Lincoln requires that you open up the machine and install the connector for the foot pedal. It is not a big deal if you are familiar with that kind of work but I still think they should have just installed it. I do like the easy stick option on both though.
                You may want to look on Welding Web too. Just search the machine name(s) you are interested in. http://weldingweb.com/
                ---Meltedmetal

Comment

My back ground was strictly stick welding with various machines, but used a very large Miller Mig a time or two after our other shop welders got it setup after it sat untouched for years.

I welded for my parents every summer until I went off to college. Now welding is just a hobby, but I still enjoy it a LOT.

Point is I have long periods of time where my equipment sits untouched, but when I need it, I need it to work right then without have to fiddle with it.
                  I store my equipment in a unheated metal shop building with no insulation in Texas. So I also had storage concerns for my equipment for both hot summers and cool winters. I ALWAYS unplug my welders when I lock up the shop and from what I have read that is a very good thing to always do to protect the boards from power surges.

Had a college project and needed a welder to construct a frame for some electric motors. Examined every detail I could about the Miller and Lincoln and settled on the MM140C back in 2007. Used it for 1 summer and stored it at my father-in-laws house for a year untouched under the miller cover.
                  Moved back from college and that MM140C sat in my garage with a cover over it for 5 years and used it for maybe 4 or 5 small projects. Didn't even use 2 lbs of flux core wire on it and never hooked it up to shielding gas. Being fairly new to Mig I REALLY liked the auto-set feature because I didn't have to waist time finding the settings to get close. If you needed a little hotter you just turn up the material thickness a little. Got the itch for a bigger Mig so sold it in 2013 with it still looking brand new.

Went to the Airgas shops, the local one carries Lincoln and the one 40 miles away carries Millers in stock. Since I really liked my MM140C I went with the Miller products again. Was considering the M211 or the M212 (both with auto-set) but then saw the example welds for the MM252 and was really impressed that Mig could handle such thick material. In my mind I had invisioned Mig as auto-body stuff and stick welding as for the thick stuff.

Anyways, bought the MM252 which has lots of digitial board and memory settings features like gas flow times and settings for burn back.
                  Have had my MM252 for 4 years now and have really enjoyed it! I do think the auto set feature welders are easier for non Mig savy welders since you can just turn up the material thickness and your good to go, versus adjust voltage and wire feed independently. However, when doing a lot of welds with very little break time I have really appreciated the high duty cycle of the machine and only hearing the fan running occasionally.

Being that I really enjoy stick welding I had also considered the MM200, but didn't like that it seemed limited since it only went up to 150A on stick and tig.
                  Since the MM215 can go up to 200A on stick, 210A on tig, and 230A mig flux-core it would have been hard not to have got it instead of the MM252 especially with the price of the MM215 now.

To me the MM215 seems like the best all around (all features except AC tig) welder I've come across literature on.

While the 210MP shows this

120V MIG: 20-140A / DC TIG: 20-150A / Stick: 20-115A
                  230V MIG: 20-220A / DC TIG: 20-175A / Stick:20-175A

TIG (230V): 175A @ 25% MIG (230V): 200A @ 25%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Miller MM215 shows this:

CV Mig/flux-cored
                  Input Range Rated Output
                  120V 30-125A 110A @ 19.5V, 60% duty cycle
                  240V 30-230A 200A @ 24V, 20% duty cycle

Tig
                  120V 20-150A 140A @ 15.6V, 40% duty cycle
                  240V 20-210A 190 @ 23.6V, 20% duty cycle

stick
                  120V 30-100A 90A @ 23.6V, 40% duty cycle
                  240V 30-200A 190A @ 27.6V, 20% duty cycle

It is a shame that welding shops won't invest the money to have a floor demo where customers can go to a corner of the shop and lay a bead with a machine they are considering buying.... Then when the newer models come out, they could sell the demo machine as a demo machine on ebay and recover the costs... Just my thoughts on it..

Last edited by clint738; 03-03-2017, 01:55 PM.

Comment

One point worth mentioning

the Lincoln 210MP is MADE in MEXICO...

while the Miller machines are MADE in The USA ( Appleton Wi )

if you need support.......... there is NO Lincoln forum

I have owned and/or run dozens of welders.... IMHO the best ones were Miller.....
                    Last edited by H80N; 03-03-2017, 02:25 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 200

Comment

Where are you in Ohio? I am in Salem under Youngstown. I have when it gets nice out and you open the garage door and all that warm air runs inside and makes everything wet. My Millers have delt with it since the mid '80s and they still work...Bob
                      Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by clint738 View Post

It is a shame that welding shops won't invest the money to have a floor demo where customers can go to a corner of the shop and lay a bead with a machine they are considering buying....
                        Yup that is sad but true. I could have sold a few more if I could have let the customer play for a while...Bob
                        Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                          Where are you in Ohio? I am in Salem under Youngstown. I have when it gets nice out and you open the garage door and all that warm air runs inside and makes everything wet. My Millers have delt with it since the mid '80s and they still work...Bob
                          A fellow Buckeye!

Columbus here... I know of several people around here who leave their welders in the garage without issue but they don't have the computers, screens and the associated electronics the 215 has. I would hate to have a problem with it and have Miller tell me it was due to water damage and not covered, so it seems like a good question to ask first. I have pretty much decided on a 215 if I can find someone who can give me a definite answer on my concern with this particular machine. Maybe they don't know and will send me one to test!

Comment

A fellow Buckeye! Columbus here...

I have pretty much decided on a 215 if I can find someone who can give me a definite answer on my concern with this particular machine. Maybe they don't know and will send me one to test!
                            I'm originally from Columbus too, now in Florida.

Call Miller tech support and ask them, get it straight from the people who WILL know.
                            Richard
                            West coast of Florida

Comment

I think I will try to contact them. I was hoping they monitored this forum and could tell me. I'm wondering if the 215 is microprocessor controlled or the display is independent and it can still function manually if that display goes South.

Comment

I think I will try to contact them. I was hoping they monitored this forum and could tell me. I'm wondering if the 215 is microprocessor controlled or the display is independent and it can still function manually if that display goes South.
                                Ask for Multimatic 215 Tech Support 920-735-4356 or 1-800-4-A-Miller (1-800-426-4553)

My Blue Stuff:
                                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                                Dynasty 200DX
                                Millermatic 200

Comment

Working...
                                X