Help me choose....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose....

I have not welded in years and this new equipment is different since then so please bear with me.....

I cannot decide between the 211 and the 215. The price is so close its really not a issue. They seem to have the same specs, duty cycle, etc.

I will be keeping it in my unheated garage in cold Ohio so I am very concerned about the computers (or logic boards) in them. Computers typically don't like the cold. I like the multifunction of the 215 but the color monitor and all the other electronic stuff is a little alarming.

I am most interested in the dual voltage and which machine should be the most reliable. I won't be using it a lot, maybe a few times a month. I would also like to run it on my Rigid generator which has a clean output.

I have also looked at the Hobart 140 Handler. It seems to be a manual or basic version of the 211. I'm thinking base (less to go wrong) is good in my case. Google and YouTube do not not seem to have any comparisons between the 211 and the 215. I didn't realize the 215 existed until today at a welding shop where they tried to sell me a Lincoln that was very similar to the 215.

Everybody I know that welds insists immediately that Miller is #1 hands down and I don't mind paying a little more for quality and US made.

But I'm totally lost. Any advice you have to share would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome Aboard

what do you plan on welding/building/repairing with it....... ?

have heard many good things about the Multimatic 215.... the ability to expand to DC TIG is cool

https://www.millerwelds.com/equipmen...tig-kit-951674

Last edited by H80N; 03-02-2017, 06:37 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Really not sure yet but nothing over 1/4" and probably just mild steel but who knows. My cousin owns a auto repair shop and just purchased a new BIG Miller. Gave me the bug to want to make some sparks fly again. Can you leave these computer machines out in a unheated garage? The last new machine I remember was a tombstone stick machine.

They sure are different now.

Comment

That tombstone buzz box will chooching along way after we're all gone. <br />
        <br />
        ....time will tell with these new funky monkies....

Comment

Originally posted by Old Guy View Post
          Really not sure yet but nothing over 1/4" and probably just mild steel but who knows. My cousin owns a auto repair shop and just purchased a new BIG Miller. Gave me the bug to want to make some sparks fly again. Can you leave these computer machines out in a unheated garage? The last new machine I remember was a tombstone stick machine.

They sure are different now.
          Which "BIG Miller" ...........................????

cold garages are OK ......... .... where are you located...??

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
          Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

I bought the MM 215 in December & it's sitting in my cold garage in Ontario, Canada.

No problems what so ever, it welds fantastic It's the best Mig Welder I've run in my 50yrs. in the welding industry !

Norm
            www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

I have the Lincoln version of the 215(the 215 was not available when I bought the Lincoln) It lives in an unheated shop in southwestern Quebec. I think that condensation and dust are more of a concern for me than cold. Most of our weather falls well within the recommended range for the machine(-4 to 104 F operating, -40 to 185 F storage for the Lincoln) I don't want to be out welding below -4 F any more.
              So far it has been all good. I make an effort not to blow grinding or welding sparks etc. into the machine and sometimes throw a cover over it when it is not in use. I have heard of people using a gun safe heater to keep them dry. Our up and down weather the last few of years has made for lots of condensation. We have gone from mid 50's this past week to -4 F this week end. The cold isn't a problem but when it heats up everything in my shop is soaking wet.

https://www.amazon.ca/Peet-Dryer-Saf.../dp/B00486U71E
              https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00N1PNIZK/...8MZ5KC7W9WD0T0

This is the 1st mig welder at my house and my welding background was in stick so I like the versatility of the multi-process machine and it is easy and quick to switch from stick to mig and mig to stick. At this point tig is mostly a learning experience for me and I lack a couple of joints in my fingers to easily connect the pedal on the Lincoln. The Miller may be better.

The Hobart 140 is a 115v only machine and I would like a little more power than that. If I was going with Hobart then I would wander a little further up the family tree but then you are going to be in the same tech range as the 211/215. Even the 140 must have a circuit board to control the wire feed I would think.

Enjoy whatever you decide on.
              ---Meltedmetal

Comment

The MM200 might be a little more weather tight. Have you looked at that one?

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                  That tombstone buzz box will chooching along way after we're all gone. &lt;br /&gt;
                  &lt;br /&gt;
                  ....time will tell with these new funky monkies....
                  So true! My friend has one that I think may have originally been owned by George Washington himself. It's been sitting under his covered porch with a tarp on it for at least 15 years and it still works great.

Comment

Originally posted by Meltedmetal View Post
                    I have the Lincoln version of the 215(the 215 was not available when I bought the Lincoln) It lives in an unheated shop in southwestern Quebec. I think that condensation and dust are more of a concern for me than cold. Most of our weather falls well within the recommended range for the machine(-4 to 104 F operating, -40 to 185 F storage for the Lincoln) I don't want to be out welding below -4 F any more.
                    So far it has been all good. I make an effort not to blow grinding or welding sparks etc. into the machine and sometimes throw a cover over it when it is not in use. I have heard of people using a gun safe heater to keep them dry. Our up and down weather the last few of years has made for lots of condensation. We have gone from mid 50's this past week to -4 F this week end. The cold isn't a problem but when it heats up everything in my shop is soaking wet.

https://www.amazon.ca/Peet-Dryer-Saf.../dp/B00486U71E
                    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00N1PNIZK/...8MZ5KC7W9WD0T0

This is the 1st mig welder at my house and my welding background was in stick so I like the versatility of the multi-process machine and it is easy and quick to switch from stick to mig and mig to stick. At this point tig is mostly a learning experience for me and I lack a couple of joints in my fingers to easily connect the pedal on the Lincoln. The Miller may be better.

The Hobart 140 is a 115v only machine and I would like a little more power than that. If I was going with Hobart then I would wander a little further up the family tree but then you are going to be in the same tech range as the 211/215. Even the 140 must have a circuit board to control the wire feed I would think.

Enjoy whatever you decide on.
                    Thank you MeltedMetal... I am in Ohio and have the exact same issue you describe. Sometimes when I open the garage everything in there condensates and becomes soaking wet. After seeing inside these new units I am not sure they can take that. Are there any Miller Techs on the site who could tell me for sure if this would be a issue?

By the way, you guys are awesome. Thanks for all of the replies!

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post

Which "BIG Miller" ...........................????

cold garages are OK ......... .... where are you located...??
                      I didn't get the Model number. Was about 6k so my interest stopped there. I just want one to hobby weld with. I am in Ohio.

Comment

The MM200 might be a little more weather tight. Have you looked at that one?
                        I have looked at just about everything under $1600.00
                        The problem is there are to many choices. I hate to buy something now and wish I spent a few hundred more later.

Comment

Granted it doesn't get super cold down here in South Texas (30°F for maybe 1 week out of the year), but all 3 of my inverter-based machines (HTP 221 TIG welder, Milelrmatic 211, and Eastwood versacut 40 plasma cutter) are outside under a carport 365 days a year---don't matter if it's hot, dry, humid, full-blown thunderstorm, etc The critical part is that they are covered with their appropriate machine covers when not in use (except the plasma cutter, I'll be glad to see it croak so I can use it as as excuse to buy a Hypertherm ). Never had any problems with them.
                          HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                          HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                          HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                          HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                          HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
                          HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

I give you permission to buy a hypertherm. There ya go, excuse granted.

Comment

I give you permission to buy a hypertherm. There ya go, excuse granted.
                              Second that! Just tell your wife the peer pressure got so strong you had to give in.

Comment

Working...
                              X