Running a XMT350 on 230, single phase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running a XMT350 on 230, single phase

I am finally able to get a new (to me) welder and found a deal on a XMT 350. As I have researched them there were a couple of warnings about running them on 230v, single phase power. I know it's rated for it, but the warnings were regarding literally screwing the machine up and/or having horrible weld characteristics. I haven't found anything to substantiate that claim. Can anyone here confirm/validate that you'll harm the machine or that it will have lousy weld characteristics. I'll be getting a wire feeder for it, possibly some stick and eventually tig. My original plan was for a MM252, but the XMT seems to be more versatile.

Thanks,

Bryan

Give a call to Miller and talk with their techs. Very helpful guys and very straight in my experience.

Comment

Who warned against running them on 230V single phase? I've run XMT456's on 230V 1-phase and they just draw considerably more amperage than on 3-phase and my shop service just won't support the 456's full 600A capacity.

Miller rates the XMT350 for full output operation on 3-phase and 1-phase so it isn't an issue. It'll just draw more amps on 1-phase. 54.6A-vs.-36.lA.

The inverter design eliminates the usual concerns of weld characteristics of 3-phase verses 1-phase.
      MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
      Syncrowave 180 SD
      Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
      *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
      *HF-251D-1
      *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
      PakMaster 100XL
      Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
      http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I understand the higher amp draw, but it's good to hear that's the only side effect. The only other info I could find was was on non-welding forums, but by folks who claimed to know something. That's why I came here to search and get answers.

Comment

I run mine on single phase, no issues at all. I have 3 phase power but use 60 amp single phase plugs in shop due to other machines I use that are wired for 220 single to run of generators when needed.
          2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
          1- Blue star 185
          1- BOBCAT 250
          1- TRAILBLAZER 302
          1- MILLER DVI
          2- PASSPORT PLUS
          1- DYNASTY 200 DX
          1- DYNASTY 280 DX
          1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
          1- HF-251 BOX
          1- S-74D
          1- S-75DXA
          2- 12-RC SUITCASES
          1- 8-VS SUITCASE
          2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

Just do it

Comment

Originally posted by Slaptheebass View Post
              Just do it
              I'll bite. What are your qualifications for bumping a 3-yr old thread with your first post to take your word for it?

Comment

Working...
              X