No announcement yet.

MM252 won't feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole box of parts arrived today. The nozzle adapter doesn't fit the tip adapter. Maybe I need an adapter adapter.

Willie
    Dynasty 280DX
    Bobcat 250
    MM252
    Spool gun
    Twentieth Century 295
    Twentieth Century 295 AC
    Marquette spot welder
    Smith torches

Comment

[QUOTE=WillieB;n579112]Wire is clean, rolls are .035 U smooth QUOTE]

V groove would be the correct groove.
      2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
      1- Blue star 185
      1- BOBCAT 250
      1- TRAILBLAZER 302
      1- MILLER DVI
      2- PASSPORT PLUS
      1- DYNASTY 200 DX
      1- DYNASTY 280 DX
      1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
      1- HF-251 BOX
      1- S-74D
      1- S-75DXA
      2- 12-RC SUITCASES
      1- 8-VS SUITCASE
      2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

Originally posted by WillieB View Post
        Whole box of parts arrived today. The nozzle adapter doesn't fit the tip adapter. Maybe I need an adapter adapter.

Willie
        Are you sure they ordered parts for the correct make & model gun........??

you might bring the gun down to the LWS to match it up

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Yes, I used the door chart from the welder. I'll call them and hope to straighten it out.

Willie
          Dynasty 280DX
          Bobcat 250
          MM252
          Spool gun
          Twentieth Century 295
          Twentieth Century 295 AC
          Marquette spot welder
          Smith torches

Comment

I'm following this as well since I would like to learn what is causing the issue.

I also have a MM252, so I'd like to know what to do if I ever have something like this happen in the future.

Would you be able to post any pictures of what the Mig gun looked like when you got it back?

Comment

I did a whole bunch of things. Pulled the liner out to inspect, it looks new. Replaced all the consumables in the gun, adjusted tension on the reel. I went into the menu and set everything except the push motor force.

Now it works good once again.

Thanks for everybody's help.

Willie

It's hard to see, the only damage visible is a burned up tip adapter. It looks like somebody tried to weld with no nozzle on. Wire didn't seem to be sticking there.
              Dynasty 280DX
              Bobcat 250
              MM252
              Spool gun
              Twentieth Century 295
              Twentieth Century 295 AC
              Marquette spot welder
              Smith torches

Comment

Originally posted by WillieB View Post
                I did a whole bunch of things. Pulled the liner out to inspect, it looks new. Replaced all the consumables in the gun, adjusted tension on the reel. I went into the menu and set everything except the push motor force.

Now it works good once again.

Thanks for everybody's help.

Willie

It's hard to see, the only damage visible is a burned up tip adapter. It looks like somebody tried to weld with no nozzle on. Wire didn't seem to be sticking there.
                Willie

Glad you got it back up to snuff

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

That's great you got it working good again!

That tip adapter really does look cooked... I wonder why they would take the nozzle off though? Unless being inexperienced they thought they could see the weld puddle better with it off or something?? The MM252 does have a pretty bulky Mig gun, but it is understandable being that it is rated higher than the M-100 gun like on the MM140C.

That's great to see the MM252 can be brought back up to par with just some consumables changed... I've been thinking about buying me some extras just to have on hand if I need them when I get to teaching my son to weld some time this year.
                  Last edited by clint738; 03-01-2017, 01:42 PM.

Comment

From some of the earlier comments, it sounds to me like the borrower didn't know how versatile the mm252 is, tried to use it with flux core, did NOT read the manual, DID put flux core in it, did NOT reverse the polarity, and (finally) must have had his finger on the torch trigger when he turned it on - this would have brought up the programming menu - then, in confusion he could have started twisting knobs - God knows how many parameters he would have changed before finally giving up, shutting it off (with parameters still screwed up), then turned it on, it "magically" sorta worked, til he ran flux core with no nozzle (who needs it when there's no gas?) and cooked the tip.

That's why even my (few) friends get to use my 252, but ONLY with ME attached :=)...Steve

Comment

To me it is still a mystery. The borrower is a man I have immense respect for. He does all the welding for a four man family excavation company. He usually uses a Lincoln tombstone AC only welder. He produces welds I'm jealous of. The family is financially challenged, their equipment is mostly old.

They had a Ford 655 backhoe loader that broke off just below the pin at the top pivot of the front loader, right at the bottom corner of the windshield. He has to act as salesman to convince his purchasing agent, (his 77 year old father) that a MIG is a good purchase. I think this was a test drive. The repair was one I'd be proud of, he is thrilled with how well it went. I think WTH????????? It doesn't work! I'll eventually find out what happened. For now I have a fixed machine, I'm good!

Willie
                      Dynasty 280DX
                      Bobcat 250
                      MM252
                      Spool gun
                      Twentieth Century 295
                      Twentieth Century 295 AC
                      Marquette spot welder
                      Smith torches

Comment

I tend to go with your assessment WillieB. Looks like it was used without the nozzle for sure and possibly without the contact tip. Maybe larger diameter flux core that wouldn't fit the tip diameter an no nozzle in a tight spot. Regardless, glad it's going again.

Comment

Hmmm.... so he's welding on excavation heavy equipment, and apparently only familiar with stick welding??? That is at least what I'd gather from how he returned your equipment (not working). I wouldn't want to be using the equipment he "test drove" Mig equipment on. If he wasn't Mig competent enough to use the equipment correctly then I'd also be likely to question the weld quality as Mig welds can look pretty but not be adequate. I think they even have to be qualified procedures for different cases.

Either way... glad you got your MM252 running again. I'm sure you and your machine will be joined at the hip next time it is ever loaned out again... that is if you ever do it again...

Comment

After these loaning experiences, I'm always pretty gun shy for a few years. It is almost always cheaper, and easier to do the job, than loan, then repair the machine. The repair is one I wouldn't have chosen a MIG to do.

Willie
                            Dynasty 280DX
                            Bobcat 250
                            MM252
                            Spool gun
                            Twentieth Century 295
                            Twentieth Century 295 AC
                            Marquette spot welder
                            Smith torches

Comment

When I first got married we unfortunately had to live in a lousy subdivision, my next door neighbor came over and asked if I had a 1/2" drill he could barrow, like a kind fool I handed him my brand new Milwaukee hole shooter I never turned on yet. I went out to get the mail and saw him in his garage leaning on it reaming out a hole, I could hear the motor groaning, he never asked to barrow another tool. Some people are slugs . I always taught my sons, daughters and my SIL if you barrow something, return it re-lubed, gas tank full of gas, cleaner than when you received it, and fix anything within reason that might be in need of repair.

Comment

I feel the same way and have taught my kids to do the same. Back in the day I borrowed my brother in laws Pinto when my truck was in the shop. While I had it, the clutch blew, so limped it to my shop put in a new clutch, pressure plate and bearing. Then I got a flat so he got a new tire too. When I gave his car back he told that I could borrow it any time. Probably would have been cheaper to rent a car, but oh well. Sometimes things don't go the way you would like but if you do the right thing, good things are bound to come your way.

Comment

Working...
                                X