MM252 won't feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MM252 won't feed

I've bragged for years about my MillerMatic 252. It's a great welder. I'm beginning to learn I should be quiet, keep my doors locked, shoot intruders in the driveway, and not have children.

A family friend asked my son about borrowing my MIG. Seth said yes, I didn't overrule him.

Stupid, I know. I deserve it.

The nozzle is bent, The contact tip adapter is partially burned away. The new tip threaded easily into it, despite part of the threaded female end being damaged. It was probably due for new consumables anyway. What's got me rattled is that it behaves like it has a pulse feature. Wire feeds intermittently for the first ten seconds of a weld, then smooth for a few seconds, then an occasional stutter. When not welding it feeds smoothly. .035 wire fit is loose in the .035 Miller brand tip. Drive rolls are the same as have been in it for years, they are clean, Seem to be in adjustment.

What am I doing wrong?

Willie
    Dynasty 280DX
    Bobcat 250
    MM252
    Spool gun
    Twentieth Century 295
    Twentieth Century 295 AC
    Marquette spot welder
    Smith torches

Originally posted by WillieB View Post
    I've bragged for years about my MillerMatic 252. It's a great welder. I'm beginning to learn I should be quiet, keep my doors locked, shoot intruders in the driveway, and not have children.

A family friend asked my son about borrowing my MIG. Seth said yes, I didn't overrule him.

Stupid, I know. I deserve it.

The nozzle is bent, The contact tip adapter is partially burned away. The new tip threaded easily into it, despite part of the threaded female end being damaged. It was probably due for new consumables anyway. What's got me rattled is that it behaves like it has a pulse feature. Wire feeds intermittently for the first ten seconds of a weld, then smooth for a few seconds, then an occasional stutter. When not welding it feeds smoothly. .035 wire fit is loose in the .035 Miller brand tip. Drive rolls are the same as have been in it for years, they are clean, Seem to be in adjustment.

What am I doing wrong?

Willie
    might be kinked at the bend...... in addition... I would remove...inspect..... clean and blow out the liner.... might be damaged and need replacement
    Last edited by H80N; 02-23-2017, 10:26 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post

might be kinked at the bend...... in addition... I would remove...inspect..... clean and blow out the liner.... might be damaged and need replacement
      Thank you, I'll check the liner.
      Dynasty 280DX
      Bobcat 250
      MM252
      Spool gun
      Twentieth Century 295
      Twentieth Century 295 AC
      Marquette spot welder
      Smith torches

Comment

Is the wire clean? It's best to wipe wire down with a clean rag and check the rag, if it has rust, you'll be smart to clean the wire drive rolls and make sure the wire grooves are set for the right size wire. Good luck.

Comment

Wire is clean, rolls are .035 U smooth.

I'm trying to figure out how a tip adapter gets burned up. I wonder if they tried flux core wire with no nozzle? That doesn't seem to influence feeding. They used their own roll of wire, and tank. They have a little MIG for sheet metal.
          Last edited by WillieB; 02-23-2017, 01:48 PM.
          Dynasty 280DX
          Bobcat 250
          MM252
          Spool gun
          Twentieth Century 295
          Twentieth Century 295 AC
          Marquette spot welder
          Smith torches

Comment

There is a wire feed test in the Millermatic 252 Manual, Section 5-14
            Miller Syncrowave 200
            Milermatic 252
            Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

Comment

I've got new consumables ordered. I didn't order a new liner, I'm thinking maybe I should have.
              Dynasty 280DX
              Bobcat 250
              MM252
              Spool gun
              Twentieth Century 295
              Twentieth Century 295 AC
              Marquette spot welder
              Smith torches

Comment

I'd get my boy by the throat, regardless of age, and he would find out what happened to it. Then he or them would pay to make it whole again.

Comment

Originally posted by Can You Weld This For Me? View Post
                  I'd get my boy by the throat, regardless of age, and he would find out what happened to it. Then he or them would pay to make it whole again.
                  You don't have sons do you? I had my opportunity to prevent this. The man who borrowed it is a friend. I trust him. I made the mistake of not preventing this. I carry the fault. Loaned tools get broke. That has always been fact. I've known this many years. Now, and then I need to be reminded. I'm hoping it can be fixed, the cost is accounted to education. In future I may be a bit more cautious, but probably will only volunteer to show how.

Willie
                  Dynasty 280DX
                  Bobcat 250
                  MM252
                  Spool gun
                  Twentieth Century 295
                  Twentieth Century 295 AC
                  Marquette spot welder
                  Smith torches

Comment

You don't have sons do you? I had my opportunity to prevent this. The man who borrowed it is a friend. I trust him. I made the mistake of not preventing this. I carry the fault. Loaned tools get broke. That has always been fact. I've known this many years. Now, and then I need to be reminded. I'm hoping it can be fixed, the cost is accounted to education. In future I may be a bit more cautious, but probably will only volunteer to show how.

Willie
                    Willie

my guess is still a kink in the liner or other gun related malady..........

do you have access to a known good gun to try out...??

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 200

Comment

Maybe. The machine at a customer's facility is a store brand gun. It doesn't always work very well. They have a pretty bad voltage loss problem that might be the cause of most of their trouble. My new consumables are on their way from Kentucky. When they arrive, I'll dismantle the gun, and carefully inspect.

The damaged gun components give cause to wonder if the liner too may have suffered some trauma. I'm not grasping why the wire feeds smoothly until striking an arc. There is no evidence of it sticking in the tip.

Willie
                      Dynasty 280DX
                      Bobcat 250
                      MM252
                      Spool gun
                      Twentieth Century 295
                      Twentieth Century 295 AC
                      Marquette spot welder
                      Smith torches

Comment

Maybe. The machine at a customer's facility is a store brand gun. It doesn't always work very well. They have a pretty bad voltage loss problem that might be the cause of most of their trouble. My new consumables are on their way from Kentucky. When they arrive, I'll dismantle the gun, and carefully inspect.

The damaged gun components give cause to wonder if the liner too may have suffered some trauma. I'm not grasping why the wire feeds smoothly until striking an arc. There is no evidence of it sticking in the tip.

Willie
                        You may want to check or just reset the hidden menu setup parameters.
                        Griff

Comment

You don't have sons do you?
                          Two actually.

I'm sure it can be fixed. With a shop machine, my biggest fear of transporting one is shaking or jarring something loose or from together. I'm sure you have, but check all connections that have nuts & bolts. Then check the molex connections.

Keep us us in the loop. I'm curious to know the problem.

Comment

I will. I expect parts to arrive tomorrow. I'll put some effort into the problem when I have pieces. I'm usually not one to throw money at a mystery, but I felt I needed some of the little obscure parts that can leak shielding gas for a while. The welder has been a champion. I NEED it to work well again.

Willie
                            Dynasty 280DX
                            Bobcat 250
                            MM252
                            Spool gun
                            Twentieth Century 295
                            Twentieth Century 295 AC
                            Marquette spot welder
                            Smith torches

Comment

I will. I expect parts to arrive tomorrow. I'll put some effort into the problem when I have pieces. I'm usually not one to throw money at a mystery, but I felt I needed some of the little obscure parts that can leak shielding gas for a while. The welder has been a champion. I NEED it to work well again.

Willie
                              Willie

something to think about.....

many times uninformed folks will drag the welder around by the MIG Whip like a tow rope...

this often causes damage that may not be easily visible

My Blue Stuff:
                              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                              Dynasty 200DX
                              Millermatic 200

Comment

Working...
                              X