Air Compressor Tank Hairline Crack Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Compressor Tank Hairline Crack Repair

I need some advice on welding an air compressor tank. I bought this compressor pretty cheap with a 60 gallon tank which has a one inch hairline crack on the top of it near the motor mount. There is really no visible gap but you can barely catch your fingernail on the crack and you can hear it leak.

I'm looking for some recommendations for fixing this. I was thinking that stick welding it might be OK but I have a TIG welder too so I thought that might make a better, cleaner weld. I was thinking of drilling a small hole at the end of the crack so it wouldn't travel anymore first. Since this is a small hairline crack, should I just fuse it together without any filler rod or should I should V-groove the crack to make sure I get good penetration? I'm guessing the tank is probably mild or low carbon steel and about 1/32 - 1/16 inch thick. I have access to a MIG welder too if you think that might better to use for this. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks, Tom

Ever see the results of an air tank exploding? Is it worth your life/limb or that of a bystander?

If you were an ASME certified welder it would possibly be another matter but then I doubt you'd be asking your questions if you were.

Back when I was MUCH younger and didn't know any better, I used an old water tank as an air tank and welded compressor/engine brackets and mounting feet on it. Had the unit mounted in my 12' enclosed service van and fortunately it never ruptured. Knowing what I know now I would never do that again and I know of older air tanks that had internal corrosion that caused them to rupture and blow garages apart. Nothing to mess around with.

Replace the tank and make a BBQ pit/grill out of the old one.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
    http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

I think Duane may be right in saying if you have to ask then maybe you shouldn't be doing this? If it was mine I would tig it up using filler rod. Open the valve so it can't pressurize while welding. Only you know your skill level.
      MM250
      Trailblazer 250g
      22a feeder
      Lincoln ac/dc 225
      Victor O/A
      MM200 black face
      Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
      Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
      Arco roto-phase model M
      Vectrax 7x12 band saw
      Miller spectrum 875
      30a spoolgun w/wc-24
      Syncrowave 250
      RCCS-14

Comment

Originally posted by duaneb55 View Post
        Ever see the results of an air tank exploding? Is it worth your life/limb or that of a bystander?

If you were an ASME certified welder it would possibly be another matter but then I doubt you'd be asking your questions if you were.

Back when I was MUCH younger and didn't know any better, I used an old water tank as an air tank and welded compressor/engine brackets and mounting feet on it. Had the unit mounted in my 12' enclosed service van and fortunately it never ruptured. Knowing what I know now I would never do that again and I know of older air tanks that had internal corrosion that caused them to rupture and blow garages apart. Nothing to mess around with.

Replace the tank and make a BBQ pit/grill out of the old one.
        BOOM....!!!

I Agree 200% Lots of energy there to maim or kill.....

ALSO no way of knowing how rusted and thin the tank is on the inside

here are some pics

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...&hsimp=yhs-001

That crack may just be an indicator of how poor the overall tank condition really is.....

could have it hydro tested...........after welding... probably fail

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

150 PSI Tank pressure X 144 .... will give you 21,600 pounds force per Square Foot of tank surface

I would hate to unleash that on a human body at tank rupture
        Last edited by H80N; 02-22-2017, 03:52 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Buy a new tank, it already failed, send it to the scrap bin.
          Ryan
          MILLERMATIC 350P w/Bernard BTB300 w/XR-A Python 25'
          MULTIMATIC 200 w/Spoolmate 100 w/TIG w/Wireless pedal
          SPECTRUM 375 X-Treme
          (2) DIGITAL ELITE helmets
          Weld-Mask goggles/hood
          OPTREL e684 helmet
          SMITH torches
          HARRIS torches

Comment

Wow !!And don't forget to drain them !

Comment

A catastrophic failure of an air compressor tank can kill you, my friend. I don't even like having the compressor tank inside my shop. It's one of the tools I plan to move to the outside tool shed attached to my shop....which is another project on the list....

Comment

I would buy a new tank and make a BBQ or fire pit out of the old one.so all is not lost.
                Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, large first aid kit, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

Had a friend who worked at a plant where they made air tanks. He went on and on about destructive testing.
                  My son Darryll worked at Modine when they were here and they tested radiators. They were in a huge water tank when they blew from testing, and it still was very crazy when they blew.
                  A cracked 60 gallon tank is nothing but a cheap grenade. It will blow all your windows out and shrapnel will fly all over.
                  Don't be a dumbass.
                  The only way that could be properly fixed would be to replace that entire section and then be re-certified. Not cost effective. Probably overseas garbage anyways.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                  Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                  MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                  Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                  Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                  Miller WC-115-A
                  Miller Spectrum 300
                  Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                  Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Well, Scooter, what have you decided to do?

Comment

Sounds like the metal has work hardened from the vibration of the motor, it likely will crack someplace else. Not worth it, pass on fixing it.

Comment

For comparison- https://www.compressorworld.com/air-...ith-top-plate/
                        ---Meltedmetal

Comment

I certainly agree with comments saying that the tank should be scrapped. It's not worth the risk.
                          Miller Syncrowave 200
                          Milermatic 252
                          Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

Comment

Those prices from the link Meltedmetal posted are WAY cheaper than a trip to the hospital--or the undertaker. A no-brainer.

Comment

Can't blame you for wanting to fix it we all want to do that. HOWEVER this is not the thing to fix.
                              The way it was explained to me was when you test with fluid (Hydro test) if it leaks the pressure subsides upon rupture as fluid cannot be compressed while the volumizing nature of the air keeps expanding and expanding catastrophically. Google explosive power of compressed air.Great video on you tube where air compressor explodes fella recues his grandfather after very lucky...very convincing.

Comment

Working...
                              X