Cutting Cast aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Cast aluminum

Anybody have experience cutting large pieces of used cast aluminum? I have a small foundry and need to cut up some engine blocks, transmission housings etc. Not enough power to run industrial shears. Can it be done with torches or plasma?

Originally posted by marker_tom View Post
    Anybody have experience cutting large pieces of used cast aluminum? I have a small foundry and need to cut up some engine blocks, transmission housings etc. Not enough power to run industrial shears. Can it be done with torches or plasma?
    you might look into one of the large industrial horizontal bandsaws... like DoAll or Kalamazoo

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=horizontal+bandsaw

heck .... even a small PortaBand could carve off slices if money was really tight

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Plasma cutter, yes; oxy-fuel torch, no. Remember that the plasma cutter rating is for mild steel, and will be about 1/3 less for aluminum, if you are shopping for one.

But not having an experience or exact knowledge of what you need to do, I'd also look at large toothed saws as an option to consider, depending on location and type of cut.
      Last edited by MAC702; 02-20-2017, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Sawzall makes quick work of it with a wood blade if you aren't looking to invest a lot in equipment.
        J.Caraher
        Wide Open Throttle Technologies (WOT-Tech), Pompano Beach FL
        Miller Sync 300,Hobart 190
        RogueFab pneumatic, Hossfeld Manual
        Kitamura CNC, Bridgeport 2j
        TunerPRO, HPTuners, AEM, Megasquirt, DynoJet
        NASA Racing Official/Driver

YouTube Link, Instagram Link, FaceBook Link

Comment

One important question...........

how big is the crucible & how heavy the pour............. ???

that will give us an idea of scale

pics....??

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 200

Comment

Depending on what you're busting up, you can probably beat on it with a hammer. Or get an 8 year old girl to do it....cmon! It's cast aluminum man!<br />
            <br />
            Trans housing, probably be able to bust it up no problem...the engine block, maybe not so easy. Might need a 10 year old girl to do it for you.

Comment

The crucible is 100 lb. the top diameter is 18" and the depth is 30". The smaller the pieces the quicker the melt. Ideally the pieces would be 4" x 10" +-
              Ryanjones2150 really?? I will look at the horizontal band saw H80N thank you

Comment

Don't be so thin skinned, Tom....I'm giving you a hard time, that's all.

Comment

Tom

Ryan is one of the good guys........... with a bit of a sense of humor.....

My Blue Stuff:
                  Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 200

Comment

Working...
                  X