Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator for Shop?

Gents (and Ladies),

I am an Air Force Officer and we move every 3 years like clock work. I have exactly 3 tools that are 220 for my home hobby shop and they are my MM252 Mig, Hypertherm Powermax 45 Plasma cutter, and a Quincy 5hp 60 Gal Air Compressor. We are moving into our new home in a couple of weeks at my next duty station and the electrician is quoting $2500 or more to run the electrical into the garage. We have plenty of 110 outlets so I only need power for the 3 mentioned tools

I don't think his price in unfair but we will move again in 3 years and I'm wondering if i shouldn't invest in a generator instead of the electrical. I have 12 years left before i plan to retire and inevitably we are going to have to rent at some point. I don't want to keep having to have electrical ran every 3 years. Do any of you have recommendations on a generator that would suffice?

I talked to the tech guys at Cyberweld and they said my MM252 would need a generator of at least 14K watts for full capacity. I doubt I'll ever run it at full capacity but i don't want to buy something too small either. I know it would be inconvenient having to start a gen set every time i want to start welding but I'm willing to instead of upgrading electrical every 3 years. At least then i have a gen set that can be used in case of power outage, or building projects around our acreage.

Recommendations??

How much of this equipment do you plan to run simultaneously?

Comment

Please tell me you're being stationed to Nellis AFB. If so, I'll be your electrician. I find $2500 to be quite steep unless there are some serious obstacles to overcome.

Any chance there is already a dryer receptacle in the garage? That's probably 30A right there if we can get to it. That's enough for one machine at a time, though not full power to welder or plasma cutter.

I don't have generator advice, but would love to see your garage and power layout and plan what you really need to get it done.

Oh, and, GO NAVY!

Comment

The only two that would run simultaneously might be the air compressor and plasma cutter but even then it probably won't be necessary. The tank holds 60 gallons so the compressor could provide air supply to the plasma for a long time without needing to be ran.

I also called and talked to the tech guys at Miller today. They aren't a fan of running the 252 off generators. Cyberweld tech guys told me a 14K generator would work but the guys at Miller directly were saying a 20-25Kw generator at minimum. The only "homeowner" generator I've seen is a: Generac GP17500 that has 26K Surge and 17,500 continuous. He said that may even be too small. The next option are either large whole house generators (not portable) or one of the diesel carts you see at rental companies but those range from $10k+ (not an option).

It would be great if someone here had some real world experience with a 252 and generator.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
          Please tell me you're being stationed to Nellis AFB. If so, I'll be your electrician. I find $2500 to be quite steep unless there are some serious obstacles to overcome.

Any chance there is already a dryer receptacle in the garage? That's probably 30A right there if we can get to it. That's enough for one machine at a time, though not full power to welder or plasma cutter.

I don't have generator advice, but would love to see your garage and power layout and plan what you really need to get it done.

Oh, and, GO NAVY!
          We are moving to Ohio next from California. The house is all electric and 165ft from the pole. He quoted based off pulling 100 amps from the main house panel and running it to a new 100 amp box in the garage. The quote was that and adding 2 outlets from the box, one to the air compressor and one to the welder. House is 4k sqft and the panel is on the opposite side from the garage.

Comment

I just looked at the Generac GP17500 and it only has a 30amp 240v receptacle. It has power but the distro isn't set up for your needs.

Looks at the CP1500E 15k rated 22.5 surge

http://www.northerntool.com/images/d...als/167933.pdf

It has a 50amp 14-50R and a 30amp Twist 120/240v

That way you can power 2 240v machines.

I've run my 252 off of my Honda 6500EU. 30amp 240v

I wasn't using it on the top end though.
            Ed Conley
            http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
            MM252
            MM211
            Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
            TA185
            Miller 125c Plasma 120v
            O/A set
            SO 2020 Bender
            You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Take a class in electrical and do it yourself, this is not rocket science, buy a 6/3 SO chord, put a 230 volt drier plug right out of your electric panel and run it under the house or through the ceiling into the garage and then split it off.

If you get a Generator your still going to have to hook up extension chords, if you use my method, when you go to move again, just unplug the chord and take it with you.

Comment

Good idea. It's "temporary," but just keep it out of your way. Make it "temporary" again at the next place.

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
                  Take a class in electrical and do it yourself, this is not rocket science, buy a 6/3 SO chord, put a 230 volt drier plug right out of your electric panel and run it under the house or through the ceiling into the garage and then split it off.

If you get a Generator your still going to have to hook up extension chords, if you use my method, when you go to move again, just unplug the chord and take it with you.
                  If it were that easy I would for sure. We have an all brick ranch house that 4300 sqft. The basement is finished and the panel is at the very furthest wall from the garage. To go through the ceiling would be ripping out drywall the entire length of the house and drilling through countless floor joists. The contractor has to come out the back of the box and bury cable about 40' or so and then conduit up the outside wall to the garage because of the walk out basement. Your idea would be perfect if the box wasn't so far away from the garage.

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                    I just looked at the Generac GP17500 and it only has a 30amp 240v receptacle. It has power but the distro isn't set up for your needs.

Looks at the CP1500E 15k rated 22.5 surge

http://www.northerntool.com/images/d...als/167933.pdf

It has a 50amp 14-50R and a 30amp Twist 120/240v

That way you can power 2 240v machines.

I've run my 252 off of my Honda 6500EU. 30amp 240v

I wasn't using it on the top end though.

Ed,

The Generac 17500 has a 50 amp outlet as well from what I've read. For whatever reason it is on the bottom of the unit instead of on the front like the rest of the outlets. It sure seems to me that both of those generators would be sufficient. I was also looking at http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7369_200467369 initially because i really like Honda engines and this generator would be exceptionally reliable. That is the unit i was heavily leaning towards until i talked to the Miller tech guys who said I needed 20-25K KWs.. It is really good to know that you've had success running yours off the Honda 6500EU.

The Tech guys at Cyberweld told me 14K KWs would be sufficient to run it at max (which i probably never will). I would think though that the Miller tech guys would know better than anyone. It could however be their way of CTA (covering their ass'ets) because if they were to say "yeah that should work fine" and a guy spends $3k on a generator that doesn't have enough juice... Well they would have some unhappy customers.

Do you remember how thick of steel you were welding on the Honda genset? I think the thickest I would be welding would be 1/4" on a log splitter I'll be building this spring/summer.

Comment

Originally posted by dbchaplin03 View Post
                      ...a generator that doesn't have enough juice...
                      I am NOT a generator expert, but it might be possible that they are thinking that the larger generators have a smoother power output which the electronics might prefer. The good news is that Ed knows his stuff so his experience is a LOT of weight.

Comment

I think your solution of using a genset is far more expensive than the cost of this addition of an electrical circuit. It has already been suggested that you make and use a heavy gauge extension cord as a temporary solution. That would seem to me to be the most cost efficient way to power your tools. Even if you came straight off the service panel with a socket and then used a cord, it would be cheaper. That was a good suggestion and probably a sound solution for you. The genset is not going to be what you're looking for, especially if you go with an under sized unit

Comment

If it was me I would put an outlet by the panel & then run an extension cord out to the garage. Roll it up when not used. How often will you be using this equipment? If you use it a lot then you can run some lengths of pvc mounted in a corner of the floor/wall or ceiling/wall & run the cord through that. That would protect it from any unwanted damage and let you leave it hooked up "semi-permanent). Not to code but it is "temporary". Take it all with you when you move.
                          MM250
                          Trailblazer 250g
                          22a feeder
                          Lincoln ac/dc 225
                          Victor O/A
                          MM200 black face
                          Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                          Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                          Arco roto-phase model M
                          Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                          Miller spectrum 875
                          30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                          Syncrowave 250
                          RCCS-14

Comment

Another vote for the temporary cord. Seems a better solution than the generator and a lot quieter!

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                              I think your solution of using a genset is far more expensive than the cost of this addition of an electrical circuit.
                              Not if you factor in that he has to move in another 3 years and contract yet another electrician to do the whole thing over again at his new house.

Get one of these

or if you prefer diesel and more power, get an Aurora gen
                              HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                              HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                              HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                              HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                              HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
                              HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Working...
                              X