Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I MIG-suck all the sudden. Can shielding gas fail to migrate to the weld? MM 210

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I MIG-suck all the sudden. Can shielding gas fail to migrate to the weld? MM 210

Hey gang. Geez... I put the Mig to the side for a while, and when I break it out to use it, my welds look like crappola. They are spattered, and ragged, and rather corroded looking. Tank full of 75/25 is full, and regulator seems to be regulating. I'm not sure how to check flow, but I'd swear it looks like the gas was never turned on. It's giving me a complex. Do gas valves fail on a 8 yr old Miller? How would you recommend I further diagnose?

Lance

put some powder down and see if the gas blows it away. Could be a spider made a nest inside the machine. Wire good? Not rusted?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

PICS Pls...............

is it possible that you have some RUST on your filler wire.......???

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

HA.... Broc.... Ya beat me....

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 200

Comment

What wire are you running?

Comment

Lance, what wire and size are you running, what heat settings are you using, and are you using the right size groove in the wire drive wheels? Could be your wire is rusted, sometimes it's hard to tell, you need to take a cloth and wipe the wire with it and look if rust is present. If it is, you may have to clean your wire drive wheels, liner and waste wire until you get to clean un-rusted wire.

Comment

When you pull the trigger you should hear the gas solenoid "click" & gas should flow. Again these should be audible signs. Is your gun pushed in all the way? If you are not getting gas then it is simple to disconnect each connection to find the problem.

Rusted wire will also make it run lousey. If it is you will have to unspool until you get clean wire.
              MM250
              Trailblazer 250g
              22a feeder
              Lincoln ac/dc 225
              Victor O/A
              MM200 black face
              Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
              Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
              Arco roto-phase model M
              Vectrax 7x12 band saw
              Miller spectrum 875
              30a spoolgun w/wc-24
              Syncrowave 250
              RCCS-14

Comment

Since no one's thought of this yet, are you sure your wire isn't rusty?

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. Wire is stainless 308 @ .035. No rust to blame it on. I loosened tension on drive wheels and with gun near my ear, I'm hearing/feeling gas flow, so unless it's the wrong substance in the gas cylinder, I'm back to "good-ol-fashioned" sucking. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by lpmartin View Post
                    Thanks for all the suggestions. Wire is stainless 308 @ .035. No rust to blame it on. I loosened tension on drive wheels and with gun near my ear, I'm hearing/feeling gas flow, so unless it's the wrong substance in the gas cylinder, I'm back to "good-ol-fashioned" sucking. :-)
                    You're running 75/25 not Tri-Mix for 308 Stainless Steel... ?????? (90% helium, 7.5% argon, and 2.5% carbon dioxide)

that might be your problem......

75/25 is usually used with ER70-S-"X" mild steel
                    Last edited by H80N; 02-17-2017, 03:42 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 200

Comment

Yeah I'd say the 75/25 would be the root of your problem. Even with tri mix SS isn't real awesome, but better than what you're doing now.

If you still want to check / confirm gas flow rate, I recommend getting one of these little hooters.

https://www.arc-zone.com/shield-gas-flow-tester-50020

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                        You're running 75/25 not Tri-Mix for 308 Stainless Steel... ??????...

that might be your problem......

75/25 is usually used with ER70-S-"X" mild steel
                        Ditto.

Comment

There's a minor detail that he left off. I believe the second questions asked was "what wire"....

Comment

Working...
                          X