Problems with wire feed on MM210

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with wire feed on MM210

Hello guys. I have had my MM210 for about 1 1/2 years, and it has always performed perfectly. Well I was using it today welding some 3/16" plate to some 1/8" box tubing, and began having trouble with the wire feed slipping. I did the old point the gun at an angle to a piece of wood trick, and the drive was slipping, putting no wire out whenever pressure was put on the wire. The drive spins fine, but slips.
    I spent the next hour adjusting the tension throughout its range with no change in results. I always have only run .030 wire, but I double checked and I have the proper drive roll installed. I am at a loss as to what to do, if you have any recommendations, I'm all ears-thanks!

Could your drive roll be worn out?? May be time for a new one if so.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

You know it LOOKED ok but I'm not sure. I've run about 10 rolls(10lb'ers) through it, but I'm not sure how long they last for honestly

Comment

dhdh71,

Check the spool brake tension and the lower drive roll alignment. If both of those are good then you may want to consider replacing the gun liner as it may be getting plugged up or have a kink in it. I doubt the drive rolls are worn out (they are hardened steel) but I guess anything is possible.

Kevin
        [email protected]
        Kevin Schuh
        Service Technician
        Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Comment

Also check for drive alignment of the bottom drive roll to the wire. It can be adjusted with the scre in center of the drive gear. If the wire isn't seating properly inthe center of the drive roll, it will slip.

A-

Comment

Originally posted by ASKANDY
            Also check for drive alignment of the bottom drive roll to the wire. It can be adjusted with the scre in center of the drive gear. If the wire isn't seating properly inthe center of the drive roll, it will slip.

A-
            And I can tell you from experience that it may well need adjustment.

Comment

cope,
              did that happen to you?? Many people who don't read the manual don't realize it is adjustable and can affect the way the machine feeds.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by ASKANDY
                cope,
                did that happen to you?? Many people who don't read the manual don't realize it is adjustable and can affect the way the machine feeds.

Andy
                Andy,

For once I did read the manual, the problem was that I did the adjustment the first time without my reading glasses. It was probably bang on BEFORE I fooled with it.

Comment

I doubt the drive rolls are worn, I have run over 8 rolls and no signs of wear. I would be lead more toward a bad section in the roll or maybe some oil or oxidation on the wire. Clean off a small area with a rag and acetone and see if anything comes off. If so then you may have a bad roll.

Good luck,

Comment

I HAVE RUN APPROX.15 TO 20 ROLLS 44LB POUNDERS
                    IN MY 250X WITH NO PROBLEMS.
                    HAVE CHANGED GUN LINER ONCE THAT MAY BE YOUR PROBLEM.
                    ALSO IF YOU DROP ANY HEAVY METAL ON GUN CABLE IT COULD KINK
                    THE LINER THATS HOW I WRECKED MINE
                    GOOD LUCK
                    BB402D
                    TB300D
                    DIMENSION652
                    MM250X
                    MAXSTAR140
                    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
                    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Once on my 210, the wire was pinched on the spool near the outer edge. I pulled off a few yards of wire to where the wire was wound better and the problem went away. Bad section on the spool.

Comment

Check your contact tip, unscrew it and see if it is tight on the wire. I have had my MM 210 for 3 1/2 years and had a problem 6 months ago. I changed my liner and found the tip was tight. I ran it really hot to get good penetration and warped the tip. Also had problems with moisture during season change, cold mornings, condensation on the wire.
                        Also after you spin the rollers on the wire you need to loosen the rollers and pull the spun wire out because it will have trouble feeding where damaged.

Comment

The only reason I said ck the drive roll is 'cuz I have a set of .045 knurled that are less than 3 yrs old and are worn SMOOTH. They were abused by the feeder's previous owner. So I know that it can happen.

The wire could also be slipping due to bad sized wire. I have a roll of Anchor Brand .035 wire that will not run very long with a .035 drive roll. It slides right through. The .030 roll catches it just fine......no it isn't a mislabeled roll of .030 because it won't fit through a .030 tip.

Liner troubles are way up on the list also.
                          Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                          '06 12RC feeder
                          Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                          Esab Multimaster 260
                          Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Working...
                          X