Miller Bike !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Bike !!!

Well the Miller Bike came to town today and I must say " It is impressive ". As I'm sure everyone knows the Miller Bike was built by OCC, and I followed the progress on tv like a lot of you probably did. The craftsmanship is supurb, paint is flawless, overall the bike is a work of art! I'm sure Miller is proud to have it and be able to share it with their loyal customers. I received mail for two weeks before the bike arrived to make sure I had plenty of time to schedule a visit, and I think it was well worth the trip. So often we see things on tv that we never get to see for real, and I would like to commend Miller for sending out the mailers. There were Miller reps on hand ( the one that helped me make my selection a few weeks ago ), special pricing on a lot of products, got a nice picture of my daughter with the bike, and even " free " bar-b- que. In todays world ( screwed up as it may seem ) it's nice to share something like this, I just hope some of you get to do the same.

MM 210
    Spectrum 625

I went to a car show in SF a couple months ago and saw the cars from American Hotrod. It also had a Bikes section. Overall, I thought that the cars looked smaller in person, and the Bikes looked larger in person (both being compared to viewing them on TV).

I was somewhat disappointed though. I am mainly referring to the Alumitub by the American Hotrod gang. I saw so many flaws in person that I could not see (or wasn't shown) on TV. The first thing I noticed was that none of the gaps were straight. I guess that if they had panted it, it would have been filled first, but I think that if you are going to show something, it needs to be finished, gaps need to be right.

Couldn't find any bikes from TV, but I was looking.
    -SPiNNeR-

Hobart 135
    Oxy-Acet w/ Victor torch
    Dynasty 200 DX

Comment

I got to see the bike at bike week in Daytona in 2004. It was at the Miller booth which was right across from the OCC camp. Paulie Jr. came over to check on his stars and stripes helmet and introduced himself to me. Really was a nice guy. After watching Paul Jr., Sr., Cody, Vinnie and Mikey inter act with the crowd, I don't think they take themselves too seriously. I think they are enjoying themselves while their fame lasts. People were treating them like rock stars. They had a fence around their boothe and security. Jesse James was right across the street and it was business as usual for him. Same with Indian Larry and Billy Lane. They had their crowds but nothing like OCC. You are right, the bike was impresive. I don't care much for most of the bikes they biuld but this one is nice. I know alot of poeple bust their chops about unsafe welding practices and such, as they should but I'm sure it is mostly scripted. People want to see srew ups and drama. If any one else gets the chance to see the bike, they should make the effort.

Kelly

Comment

I saw it while it was here a few months back, its interesting to say the least. When I was riding I would only get on dirt bikes or crouch rockets for the road. The tig torch was a nice touch I think. I am sure these shows are scripted, I sometimes watch them for relaxation but never take them to seriously.
        Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
        Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
        Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
        Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly Aitken
          I got to see the bike at bike week in Daytona in 2004. It was at the Miller booth which was right across from the OCC camp. Paulie Jr. came over to check on his stars and stripes helmet and introduced himself to me. Really was a nice guy. After watching Paul Jr., Sr., Cody, Vinnie and Mikey inter act with the crowd, I don't think they take themselves too seriously. I think they are enjoying themselves while their fame lasts. People were treating them like rock stars. They had a fence around their boothe and security. Jesse James was right across the street and it was business as usual for him. Same with Indian Larry and Billy Lane. They had their crowds but nothing like OCC. You are right, the bike was impresive. I don't care much for most of the bikes they biuld but this one is nice. I know alot of poeple bust their chops about unsafe welding practices and such, as they should but I'm sure it is mostly scripted. People want to see srew ups and drama. If any one else gets the chance to see the bike, they should make the effort.

Kelly
          There is an interesting article on OCC in the current issue of Cigar Afficianado. ( I Don't subscribe or buy it, Just happen to see the cover while in the bookstore ) There isn't really much that is scripted but they shoot a lot of film to edit down to the 1 hour episodes.

Dennis
          Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
          Millermatic Challenger 172
          VictorO/A
          Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
          Esab PCM-875
          Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill

Comment

I went to there store and drove by the shop a while back. Lotta nice bikes at the store. Most of the ones from TV. Surprising, i went by the shop at around 5pm and there wasnt a sole around. I thought there would be alot of fans. Those bikes do look alot bigger in person..lotta detail
            LICENSED ELECTRICIAN
            BAKERY MECHANIC

Comment

i disagree. of all the things that miller could have put their name on, they chose that hunk of junk?

Comment

GTA,

It was the hottest show around at the time. Tons of exposure. For the money involved, it has paid off 100X so far with all the interest generated. YES there are better bike builders but at the time, AM Choppers was the only show. If you were in that position to decide on where to get the most exposure, OCC or a couple of ads in the AWS mag or other avenue, you'd do the occ thing too.... if you were smart. Remember, it's all about getting our name out there to the most people at the best price. Besides, they already used our stuff so it wasn't a hard sell to them.

Andy

Comment

So your saying that Miller is willing to do anything for the exposure, regardless of the quality of the displayed product?

A- i dont mean to be a jerk, i just thought that miller might want some input from the other side. My input dosent carry as much weight as the dollar does, but for what its worth.

Off the topic, i do agree that there are better bikes built - Suzuki. I could buy alot of those for the $400k that you guy spent.

Comment

GTA,

You're not being a jerk- I appreciate your thoughts but in hind sight 3 yrs later with all the other bike mfg coming out of the wood work, it's now easy to slam the OCC guys.
                    FYI* the cost was less than a 1/4 of that. Also, at the time when they had the only bike building show, how was our marketing suppose to know of the variety of quality bike manufacturers. Even if marketing did have a insight of other bike builders, none had a show to help us market our company. Now we have a number of build shows including cars (watch for our new street rod ) that we can choose to align ourselves with and quality and weld skill are on top for us. There was just no other choices at the time so rather than let someone else get the upper hand and cause us to play catch up, it was a strategic move and a smart business one. you have to admit, they (occ) do have some creative ideas and the painter really makes the bikes come alive. He can cover up some of the mfg sins and still make a nice looking bike out of it.

A-

Comment

Ok, How about Cary's Farm & Fab shop, how to do everyday stuff??? ha I do have a blue plasma and a 300 synch but you would have to change a couple feeders and paint the portables. I see a lot of occ shirts and hats but mostly on guys that wouldnt know one end of a welding machine from another. Not saying all but there is a lot of soup can wired up exhaust crowd that follows from what I see. I dont watch it but I do watch things like "this old house" that are quality and info based. People that watch that have the interest and money to buy the products they see used. Not slamming occ and the like but I bet a good share of the demographics of the viewers are different.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I see a lot of questions on the ag and small shop forums about feeders and plaz cutters and they would be swayed to buy with some info. They are just slightly hesitant about technology and the fear would be releived with some how to use info. Not only that but consider the crowd, even modern cutting and welding equipment purchaces would be considered minor expendatures in many cases. We are compulsive shoppers,, ha, but purchaces are routine, the mentality is different than living on paychecks. We buy for the future and to save time in many cases. I hardly ever go to a store and buy just the item I went in for (went in to buy a hose got 4 cases of brakekleen too, went for a gear and bought 20# of 5/8 and 3/4 nuts)

Comment

I think Miller did the right thing. It's all about exposure. Right now the bike building craze is booming. Everyone thinks they can or at least wants to try to build a bike these days. When Am. Chopper first came on, I watched every chance I could. The first bikes they built weren't so far out there. But they always have to top the last one and now I think their bikes are just nuts. I was more interested in the fabrication end of it. I loved it when they would build parts from sratch. Now it seems someone else fabs the parts and they just bolt them on. Reguardless, a ton of people watch the show. Out of that ton, there are poeple that don't take the Tuttle's too seriously but it did ignite a spark in them wanting to get to fabricating and that means welding and that means Miller. Anyone with any brains at all knows when they are not following all the proper safty proceedures. People see the Miller welders and that may be the only brand they know just because of the show. People that are already into welding are not going to buy Miller just because the Tuttles use it any more then they will buy Jesse Jame's brand just becuase thats what Jesse uses.

Just go to any of the chopper sites and you will see a ton of people wanting to try to weld up a frame. Most of these guys have never welded in their life but because of that show, now they want to try. I say great, go for it. I hope they learn on something other then a motorcycle frame first.

Kelly

Comment

I saw the Miller Bike in the back of the trailer in Appleton. My only issue is the way Miller deals with the bike. They aren't allowed to run it, which kind of defeats the purpose of having the bike in the first place.
                            It's not the voltage that gets you, it's the amps.

Comment

Just My Thoughts

AFTER READING THIS THREAD AND ALL THE TALK OF MILLERS NAME
                              ON THIS BIKE.IF MILLER IS PROMOTING THERE NAME FOR EXSPOSURE.
                              HOW ABOUT SHOP BANNERS FOR LOYAL OWNERS OF THERE PRODUCTS?
                              I LIKE THE ONES ON THERE SITE BUT TO PAY$$ FOR ONE.
                              SPENT ENOUGH MONEY WITH THEM AND VERY HAPPY WITH EQUIPMENT BUT
                              FREE WOULD BE NICE
                              BB402D
                              TB300D
                              DIMENSION652
                              MM250X
                              MAXSTAR140
                              S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
                              HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Working...
                              X