Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Still pending. Finishing up a few jobs that I've been dragging on. Hoping to get a few more parts soon though.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Ryan

Any news or updates...... ......???

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Willie

the Procon Vane pumps are positive displacement..... Whole different animal than centrifugal

BTW..... that brass Procon vane pump is the same as the one that came with my $10K Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Last edited by H80N; 02-23-2017, 09:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WillieB
    replied
    Originally posted by WillieB View Post

Are you sure about this? I'm asking a question, not claiming to have the answer.

I relate this to a problem I had many years ago: My in laws had a tennis court about 60 feet of elevation above Otter Creek. They had a centrifugal 1/2 HP pump to push water to it. Pump motors would fail in about two years. There was no pressure tank. When they needed water, they opened a valve at the court. The pump ran in slow cycles building pressure, shutting off. The head the pump overcame kept the switch from cycling too often or moving much water. I went to the pump expert at FW Webb plumbing supply. His solution: turn up the pressure switch.

Higher pressure meant less volume from a centrifugal pump. It would shut off when the valve at the top of the hill was closed, but with valve open, it ran continuously. Playing with it I discovered that at higher pressure, lower flow, motor current was significantly lower. As he explained, "The work a pump performs is to move water. Moving less, means less work."

Willie
    OH!

I have a very expensive welder, my torch is well into the hundreds, the cooler cost so much, I'm embarrassed. I will not risk a problem by using automotive anti freeze. $28 anti freeze is what is recommended. I will pay the price.

Leave a comment:

• WillieB
    replied
    Originally posted by H80N View Post

IMHO.....brass ones are fine.... probably outlast both of us

but it is your dime ....

food for thought:
    derating the pump from 250 PSI down to 50 PSI reduces its load by 80% ....further increasing pump life
    Are you sure about this? I'm asking a question, not claiming to have the answer.

I relate this to a problem I had many years ago: My in laws had a tennis court about 60 feet of elevation above Otter Creek. They had a centrifugal 1/2 HP pump to push water to it. Pump motors would fail in about two years. There was no pressure tank. When they needed water, they opened a valve at the court. The pump ran in slow cycles building pressure, shutting off. The head the pump overcame kept the switch from cycling too often or moving much water. I went to the pump expert at FW Webb plumbing supply. His solution: turn up the pressure switch.

Higher pressure meant less volume from a centrifugal pump. It would shut off when the valve at the top of the hill was closed, but with valve open, it ran continuously. Playing with it I discovered that at higher pressure, lower flow, motor current was significantly lower. As he explained, "The work a pump performs is to move water. Moving less, means less work."

Willie

Leave a comment:

• Burnt hands
    replied
    Ryan,

Glad you can use the goodies.
    The square tube was a practice piece using the ti strips.
    I'm ok tigging titanium but terrible with aluminum.
    Need to practice more...............

I use 50-50 auto coolant in my cooler and change it every year.

Here is info on coolant from Miller.

Coolants
    Sold in multiples of four in 1-gallon recyclable
    plastic bottles. Miller coolants contain a base of ethylene glycol and deionized water to protect
    against freezing to -37° Fahrenheit (-38°C) or boiling to 227° Fahrenheit (108°C).

Low-Conductivity Coolant
    (clear, pre-mixed) 043810
    For TIG and MIG applications. NOT for use in push-pull systems or systems
    where aluminum is in coolant path/circuit.

Aluminum-Protecting Coolant
    (green, pre-mixed) 043809
    Primarily used in push-pull systems where aluminum is in coolant
    path/circuit and high frequency is NOT used.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    Hmmm....probably going to end up with all of that now that you mention it. You have any trouble with that in your shop? Surely whatever coolers you use has a mismash of metals in it. I never thought about it like that though.
    the commercially built ones use a similar mix of metals .... so both on about the same footing

and....would think that low conductive coolant would minimize electrolytic problems
    Last edited by H80N; 02-22-2017, 09:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Hmmm....probably going to end up with all of that now that you mention it. You have any trouble with that in your shop? Surely whatever coolers you use has a mismash of metals in it. I never thought about it like that though.

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Just don't forget about always considering the effects of dissimilar metals.
    You get copper, brass, stainless, bronze and aluminum, plus whatever is in your power cable, all soaking in a electric bath.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    BH....got the flow gauge...and the other stuff. That was very generous of you and I appreciate it. Did you weld that tube up? Very nice work if you did.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I don't like Xmas either.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Bah...HumBug......!!!!!..........

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Heiti, you are the man! Thanks for all the knowledge you share.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    I have a couple of motors laying around, but it looks like it's not too awfully more expensive to just get one thats already together with the motor, pump and adapter.
    best to buy pump & motor already mated ........... motor usually 1/3 HP..... and use an unusual slotted coupler

bound together with a band clamp...... slots on both pump and motor shafts.... motor end bearing carrying the major load

Click image for larger version

Name:	proconkey.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	578943

Name:	procon-rotary-vane-pump.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	578942

Name:	proconm.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	578944

Name:	ProconMotor.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	578945
    Last edited by H80N; 02-19-2017, 08:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I have a couple of motors laying around, but it looks like it's not too awfully more expensive to just get one thats already together with the motor, pump and adapter.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X