No announcement yet.

TIG water cooler opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huge price difference between the brass and stainless pumps. I think I'd prefer a stainless one, but you can dadgum near buy three or four brass pumps for the cost of one stainless pump.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
      Huge price difference between the brass and stainless pumps. I think I'd prefer a stainless one, but you can dadgum near buy three or four brass pumps for the cost of one stainless pump.
      IMHO.....brass ones are fine.... probably outlast both of us

but it is your dime ....

food for thought:
      derating the pump from 250 PSI down to 50 PSI reduces its load by 80% ....further increasing pump life

Last edited by H80N; 02-19-2017, 11:29 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

I have a couple of motors laying around, but it looks like it's not too awfully more expensive to just get one thats already together with the motor, pump and adapter.

Comment

I have a couple of motors laying around, but it looks like it's not too awfully more expensive to just get one thats already together with the motor, pump and adapter.
          best to buy pump & motor already mated ........... motor usually 1/3 HP..... and use an unusual slotted coupler

bound together with a band clamp...... slots on both pump and motor shafts.... motor end bearing carrying the major load

Click image for larger version

Name:	proconkey.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	578943

Name:	procon-rotary-vane-pump.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	578942

Name:	proconm.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	578944

Name:	ProconMotor.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	578945
          Last edited by H80N; 02-19-2017, 08:25 PM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 200

Comment

Heiti, you are the man! Thanks for all the knowledge you share.

Comment

Bah...HumBug......!!!!!..........

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 200

Comment

I don't like Xmas either.

Comment

BH....got the flow gauge...and the other stuff. That was very generous of you and I appreciate it. Did you weld that tube up? Very nice work if you did.

Comment

Just don't forget about always considering the effects of dissimilar metals.
                    You get copper, brass, stainless, bronze and aluminum, plus whatever is in your power cable, all soaking in a electric bath.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                    Miller WC-115-A
                    Miller Spectrum 300
                    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Hmmm....probably going to end up with all of that now that you mention it. You have any trouble with that in your shop? Surely whatever coolers you use has a mismash of metals in it. I never thought about it like that though.

Comment

Hmmm....probably going to end up with all of that now that you mention it. You have any trouble with that in your shop? Surely whatever coolers you use has a mismash of metals in it. I never thought about it like that though.
                        the commercially built ones use a similar mix of metals .... so both on about the same footing

and....would think that low conductive coolant would minimize electrolytic problems
                        Last edited by H80N; 02-22-2017, 09:01 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        Millermatic 200

Comment

Ryan,

Glad you can use the goodies.
                          The square tube was a practice piece using the ti strips.
                          I'm ok tigging titanium but terrible with aluminum.
                          Need to practice more...............

I use 50-50 auto coolant in my cooler and change it every year.

Here is info on coolant from Miller.

Coolants
                          Sold in multiples of four in 1-gallon recyclable
                          plastic bottles. Miller coolants contain a base of ethylene glycol and deionized water to protect
                          against freezing to -37° Fahrenheit (-38°C) or boiling to 227° Fahrenheit (108°C).

Low-Conductivity Coolant
                          (clear, pre-mixed) 043810
                          For TIG and MIG applications. NOT for use in push-pull systems or systems
                          where aluminum is in coolant path/circuit.

Aluminum-Protecting Coolant
                          (green, pre-mixed) 043809
                          Primarily used in push-pull systems where aluminum is in coolant
                          path/circuit and high frequency is NOT used.
                          Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, large first aid kit, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post

IMHO.....brass ones are fine.... probably outlast both of us

but it is your dime ....

food for thought:
                            derating the pump from 250 PSI down to 50 PSI reduces its load by 80% ....further increasing pump life
                            Are you sure about this? I'm asking a question, not claiming to have the answer.

I relate this to a problem I had many years ago: My in laws had a tennis court about 60 feet of elevation above Otter Creek. They had a centrifugal 1/2 HP pump to push water to it. Pump motors would fail in about two years. There was no pressure tank. When they needed water, they opened a valve at the court. The pump ran in slow cycles building pressure, shutting off. The head the pump overcame kept the switch from cycling too often or moving much water. I went to the pump expert at FW Webb plumbing supply. His solution: turn up the pressure switch.

Higher pressure meant less volume from a centrifugal pump. It would shut off when the valve at the top of the hill was closed, but with valve open, it ran continuously. Playing with it I discovered that at higher pressure, lower flow, motor current was significantly lower. As he explained, "The work a pump performs is to move water. Moving less, means less work."

Willie
                            Dynasty 280DX
                            Bobcat 250
                            MM252
                            Spool gun
                            Twentieth Century 295
                            Twentieth Century 295 AC
                            Marquette spot welder
                            Smith torches

Comment

Originally posted by WillieB View Post

Are you sure about this? I'm asking a question, not claiming to have the answer.

I relate this to a problem I had many years ago: My in laws had a tennis court about 60 feet of elevation above Otter Creek. They had a centrifugal 1/2 HP pump to push water to it. Pump motors would fail in about two years. There was no pressure tank. When they needed water, they opened a valve at the court. The pump ran in slow cycles building pressure, shutting off. The head the pump overcame kept the switch from cycling too often or moving much water. I went to the pump expert at FW Webb plumbing supply. His solution: turn up the pressure switch.

Higher pressure meant less volume from a centrifugal pump. It would shut off when the valve at the top of the hill was closed, but with valve open, it ran continuously. Playing with it I discovered that at higher pressure, lower flow, motor current was significantly lower. As he explained, "The work a pump performs is to move water. Moving less, means less work."

Willie
                              OH!

I have a very expensive welder, my torch is well into the hundreds, the cooler cost so much, I'm embarrassed. I will not risk a problem by using automotive anti freeze. $28 anti freeze is what is recommended. I will pay the price.
                              Dynasty 280DX
                              Bobcat 250
                              MM252
                              Spool gun
                              Twentieth Century 295
                              Twentieth Century 295 AC
                              Marquette spot welder
                              Smith torches

Comment

Willie

the Procon Vane pumps are positive displacement..... Whole different animal than centrifugal

BTW..... that brass Procon vane pump is the same as the one that came with my $10K Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                                Last edited by H80N; 02-23-2017, 09:16 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                                Dynasty 200DX
                                Millermatic 200

Comment

Working...
                                X