No announcement yet.

TIG water cooler opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks a lot less intimidating than I expected. I have a fair amount of scrap aluminum plate stored in my loft. Can easily make a bracket/mount/holding doofloppy. I like H80N's idea too. A brief fleabay search turned up a $30 brand new aluminum core, plastic housing radiator for a Honda Civic that would probably suit my needs just fine. I'll have to figure a simple sight glass system....probably just use a couple of elbows and some clear tubing....<br />
    <br />
    Are you running just plain water in that thing?

Comment

FWIW........ HOT water from torch into the TOP of the radiator.... COOL out the BOTTOM.......to filter and pump.....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

ryanjones2150,

If you can use the visual flow indicator I mentioned earlier, PM me and I'll ship one to you.
        Bought 3 of them 11 years ago thinking I would need to swap it out in a year.
        The first one is still working well. Still have a spare and would rather you use the third one as we
        all want to see your project when it is finished.
        Fittings are 1/4" NPT female..
        Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, large first aid kit, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

It holds around 5 gallons with nice little storage tray in front and small tube on the right that holds a couple lbs. of welding rod. After 25 years or so that sight glass needs some serious cleaning. I've run my cooler with a 50/50 mix of coolant and water.
          Last edited by Oldgrandad; 02-16-2017, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldgrandad View Post
            It holds around 5 gallons with nice little storage tray in front and small tube on the right that holds a couple lbs. of welding rod. After 25 years or so that sight glass needs some serious cleaning. I've run my cooler with a 50/50 mix of coolant and water.
            LOTS of reserve cooling capacity there..............................

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200DX
            Millermatic 200

Comment

PM sent!<br />
              <br />
              5 gallons seems like a lot. If I need that much, I'll probably have to have an external holding tank as well as the radiator. Maybe I'll start with just the radiator and see how it goes from there.

Comment

5 gallons is a lot, but with no radiator it is a good amount. The store bought coolers we have in the shop only hold a couple gallons and with their radiators they work great. You could put bulkhead fittings on a bottle of coolant, plumb it to the radiator and BAM instant tig runner cooling package. lol

Comment

Bernard ITW Weldcraft Style 3gal cooler for example (Clone)

This stainless steel R1100 Dynaflux® water cooler is equipped with a 115/230V motor, 3 gallon tank and direct-drive pump rated 1.8 gpm @ 50 psi is the perfect replacement for 3500SS Bernard® ITW® Weldcraft® coolers as many parts are interchangeable.

It has standard 5/8"-18 LH fittings and sight glass.

Designed for MIG & TIG to 750 amps, Plasma to 200 amps, Resistance welders to 75 KVA and Induction welders to 5 KW. Dimensions: 23"L x 11"W x 14 3/4"H. Weight 50 lbs./21kg.

http://weldingdirect.com/stainsteelco.html

or Miller Coolmate 3

Recirculating Coolant System For Water-Cooled GTAW Torches And GMAW Guns

Use With Guns/Torches Rated Up To 600 Amperes

3 gal (11.4 L) Coolant Tank Capacity;

Maximum Cooling Capacity: 3,820 W (13,000 BTU/hr) @ 4.2 qt/min (4.0 L/min)

https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow.../O628R_MIL.pdf

Last edited by H80N; 02-17-2017, 12:08 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                  Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 200

Comment

Ryan

looking at those specs.............. am guessing you could get by with 1.5 Gallons and that radiator.....

remember... the filter housing holds one pint plus............

as a practical matter would expect that you will run at reduced duty cycle anyhow....

no sustained high amperage production line stuff
                    Last edited by H80N; 02-17-2017, 10:14 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 200

Comment

Excellent help guys....I think this project is affordable and easy enough it may jump up in priority just because I think I can knock it out quickly. <br />
                      <br />
                      I already have the torch, the Miller boxed weldcraft w250. That goes back to how we are always telling people to forge solid relationships with your LWS. My LWS knows I'm the small, one man show and we have a great relationship. The other day, the sales manager came out of his office while me and the counter guy were having our usual banter back and forth of how much they suck, how expensive their stuff is and them telling me how crappy of a weldor I am...you know, normal man-speak....anyway, he happen to have a brand new water cooled torch in his office that I could "sample" if I wanted. So the moral to the story...be nice to people, even those that can do nothing for you because one day they might.

Comment

Have you located your PROCON pump yet...??.... and the pressure relief spring/plunger to config it to 50 PSI ....???

Got your 45V11 Water cooled power block/torch adaptor ..??
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	45V11 Power Block.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	578898
                        Last edited by H80N; 02-18-2017, 09:55 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
                        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        Millermatic 200

Comment

I have the power block, not the pump or filter.

Comment

FWIW.... PROCON carbonator pumps are typically set up for 250 PSI

you will need to change the relief spring & or plunger to get it down to the desired 50 PSI for TIG cooler duty

otherwise you will be blowing up your torch coolant hoses..... that would be sub-optimal .... ...

these guys have a good reputation for those parts & support

http://www.jcbeverage.com/

Last edited by H80N; 02-18-2017, 07:57 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                            Dynasty 200DX
                            Millermatic 200

Comment

It would appear you've done this a time or three....<br />
                              <br />
                              Yes, sub-optimal....I'm steeling that ya know....I like it....<br />
                              <br />
                              So if I call those guys at jc beverage and tell them what I need they'll know I'm asking for I'm guessing? If they sell the pump, maybe I can just buy one from them configured how I need it from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                                It would appear you've done this a time or three....<br />
                                <br />
                                Yes, sub-optimal....I'm steeling that ya know....I like it....<br />
                                <br />
                                So if I call those guys at jc beverage and tell them what I need they'll know I'm asking for I'm guessing? If they sell the pump, maybe I can just buy one from them configured how I need it from the start.
                                think you will save some money buying the parts and doing the work yourself... under $10 for parts plus your locally sourced pump ( $50-100..?? )

but call them & see..............

this old SFT thread has more info

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=39374

Last edited by H80N; 02-19-2017, 08:45 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
                                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                                Dynasty 200DX
                                Millermatic 200

Comment

Working...
                                X