TIG water cooler opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    That's actually a dadgum good idea. Helga also has a 115v outlet under her skirt. Come up with a little control panel, a flow indicator as was suggested (excellent suggestion by the way) and I'd be off! I certainly have a radiator or three laying about. You don't reckon it would restrict the air flow from Helga too much do you?
    mount it on standoffs..... excess flow will escape out the sides without creating backpressure
    Last edited by H80N; 02-02-2017, 10:25 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

A quick fleabay search revealed to me that those carbonators are cheap and plentiful. Even new ones aren't too pricey. Seems pretty straight forward.

Comment

If you do use a car rad..... make sure it is REALLY clean or new.... you don't want to push rust scaley crud through the pump and torch

an inline water filter at the pump intake would be suggested too.... I like the clear lexan ones

Click image for larger version

Name:	10-water-filter-housing-1-4-ports-clear-plastic-for-reverse-osmosis-more.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	578145 Click image for larger version

Name:	th.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	578146

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 200

Comment

Clear Polycarbonate Filter Housings

can be had pretty reasonable $22 bucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clear-Polyca...EAAOSwe7BWxL8D

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 200

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
            Helga has an ample backside with fan....... you could use a car radiator... it could be both reservior and cooler in one......
            If you use a car radiator-you can also use one of the radiator mounted electric fans like the cars have now. That would force air through the radiator for additional cooling. A 12 volt battery with an inline fuse, and a battery charger. Good to go.I

Comment

I put a sight glass on the front of my tank to see water level and flow. Have the return, feed in thru the top of the sight glass. will try and get some pic's for you . Machine is at my son's shop across town. O and yeah I've lost a few of those clear nozzles to dropping, it is there biggest draw back. But in tight spaces they are great, you can look thru them and see what you're doing.
              Last edited by Oldgrandad; 02-06-2017, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldgrandad View Post
                I put a sight glass on the front of my tank to see water level and flow. Have the return, feed in thru the top of the sight glass. will try and get some pic's for you .......
                could add an extra sight glass in the tank with a bright UV LED... would backlight nicely.....

especially if you are running UV dyed coolant..............

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 200

Comment

Clear Polycarbonate Filter Housings

can be had pretty reasonable $22 bucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clear-Polyca...EAAOSwe7BWxL8D

Why not use a small $2 fuel filter like they use on small 2/4 cycle engines? You can buy a cargo-container's worth for like $15. And don't give me the "china" excuse, I bet everyone's oil filter on their vehicle is made in china! But seriously, you can likely buy 10 for $10.
                  HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                  HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                  HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                  HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                  HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
                  HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Originally posted by OscarJr View Post

Why not use a small $2 fuel filter like they use on small 2/4 cycle engines? You can buy a cargo-container's worth for like $15. And don't give me the "china" excuse, I bet everyone's oil filter on their vehicle is made in china! But seriously, you can likely buy 10 for $10.
                    those are "FUEL" filters and may not fare so well with water based coolants..............

I would use some form of WATER filter that can flow at least 2 liters per minute
                    Last edited by H80N; 02-06-2017, 04:28 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 200

Comment

those are "FUEL" filters and may not fare so well with water based coolants..............
                      How so?
                      HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                      HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                      HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                      HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Originally posted by OscarJr View Post

How so?
                        pleated paper..??...............they might fall apart and clog / bind up the pump..... I would rather use a wound yarn water filter .........................

Click image for larger version

Name:	0683e9071b535e55c22b2d294d6f.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	440.4 KB
ID:	578310
                        Last edited by H80N; 02-06-2017, 04:58 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        Millermatic 200

Comment

pleated paper..??...............they might fall apart and clog / bind up the pump..... I would rather use a wound yarn water filter .........................

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n578310[/ATTACH]
                          How would that be any different from when being used as a fuel filter? Plenty of fuel filters use pleated paper with gasoline running through them. I still fail to see how it would be that detrimental to run tig coolant, but ok, I'll retract my suggestion.
                          HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                          HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                          HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                          HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

I could do what lots of others have done, but where's the adventure in that. I like H80N's recommendation of a small-ish car radiator in front of the exhaust fan on Helga. Someone else had the suggestion of using standoffs to make sure Helga is breathing well.<br />
                            <br />
                            So the radiator would be the reservoir as well. Pretty much need a procon pump and a filter then. Hang the radiator on Helga's back, build a small control panel with the flow meter, temp and probably some lights and things. In the end, if it doesn't cool good enough, I can always reconfigure to a smaller radiator with a separate fan and a holding tank. <br />
                            <br />
                            What's the normal operating temp? I guess a better question is what should the water temp stay below to still give adequate cooling? <br />
                            <br />
                            Maybe one of you guys can come take pictures for me, I'm horrible at photo documenting my projects.

Comment

As promised here's the picks of my cooler. The space behind the tank was meant for the radiator that never got put in and the pump. The current pump is on the bottom of the cart next to the gas cylinder.
                              Last edited by Oldgrandad; 02-15-2017, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldgrandad View Post
                                As promised here's the picks of my cooler. The space behind the tank was meant for the radiator that never got put in and the pump. The current pump is on the bottom of the cart next to the gas cylinder.
                                REALLY Nice build.....

how many gallons... ???

3 gal seems to be a good number on a 300 amp machine
                                Last edited by H80N; 02-15-2017, 06:49 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                                Dynasty 200DX
                                Millermatic 200

Comment

Working...
                                X