Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everlast Welder... I have seen the light!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SLP sucks you got a bad one out of the box. Sounds like they are going to take care of you and that makes it hurt less. I don't know what it is but I seem to buy brand new broken stuff all the time. Very frustrating. I bought an ESAB plasma cutter it never turned on, but my local Prax-air dealer took it back no questions and gave me another one. 5 years later it's still working great. I'm sure your 230 will give you many years of good bead. Like Ryan said we are here to help regardless of the name on the machines you use.

Comment

Originally posted by SLP82 View Post
      Ok, so I just spoke with Alex in the sales department and he told me that its rare, but during shipping these units sometimes get dropped, and the boards crack internally. He said this is by far the biggest failure rate they have encountered on these welders. The board shorts out and overloads the capacitor and it "pops". Every time this has happened they find a small crack in the boards once it is returned. So this was not a Everlast quality issue but rather a shipping issue. Now here is the part that really made me happy. Alex told me they are kicking around the idea of getting rid of the PowerMIG 210 model, so he told me they are just going to upgrade me to the Everlast 230 and send me a new one out. This is a upgraded model to my current 210. That my friends is customer service! Alex apologized for the inconvenience and all the postage is being taken care of on their ends. He is also shipping the new welder to me expedited shipping to have it here in the next couple days. I was very skeptical about my purchase of Everlast but I feel much better now. Also Dan the guy from the tech department, called me literally 2 minutes after I got off the phone with Alex from the sales department and apologized for the inconvenience as well. He wanted to make sure I was getting taken care of. He did confirm though they are on the East coast and that the tech department is only open to calls for 5 hours a day. I think I will keep the new 230 model and see how it goes for awhile. It does have a 5 year warranty after all which should be plenty of time to get a feel for its overall durability.
      Didn't take much to snuff out the "light".
      MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
      Syncrowave 180 SD
      Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
      *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
      *HF-251D-1
      *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
      PakMaster 100XL
      Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
      http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

In the last several years I have seen more dead Chinese welders & plasma cutters than I care to think about

They represent significant monetary loss and much heartache for the owners

I cringe each time I see people getting sucked into that trap in hopes of saving a few bucks

“Pennywise Pound Foolish” ………………….

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Originally posted by duaneb55 View Post

Didn't take much to snuff out the "light".
          Ed Conley
          http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
          MM252
          MM211
          Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
          TA185
          Miller 125c Plasma 120v
          O/A set
          SO 2020 Bender
          You can call me Bacchus

Comment

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Sorry about your misfortune but like ALL the XYZ alphabet soup Chincom clone welders they are very unreliable. Any Joe (or Jody, Kevin or Chuck) can do a nice review of a free welder they were sent for a YouTube channel.

A little background for ya: Everlast and HTP are owned by a Russian in San Francisco. They machines are brought over by the container load and are nothing different than any of the hundred welding machines made in China. (Harbor Freight, Lotos, Collosal, Zeny, Longevity, Klutch, ABC-XYZ-123, etc.). They use a LOT of recycled parts and are for the most part reverse engineered (poorly) and assembled with little quality control. Everlast's customer service guy consists of one guy in Georgia. They have a VERY high DOA rate out of the container. Ed, I'm sure you know Southpaw and Gambler on the other forum and Gary the plasma repair guy (why do you think he has SOOO many used CHicom plasmas for sale, because he has endless supply of units to repair!) There's a reason they test all the welders they sell first, because a lot of them DON'T work right out of the box...Even then when they do work the first time they have a very short lifespan. Disposable machines, they are all the same in the end, some just last a bit longer before they blowup.

You can go on Alibaba or any of the other Made-In-China.com websites and import them yourself for less than half you paid, you'd still have the same end result as you need to buy two because it's really a 50/50 shot on weather or not they will even work when they arrive.

There was an excellent tear down and review by some British guy who builds electronics a few years ago, it was like an hour long. It really was scary to watch how horrible the machine was put together, the obvious recycled components, gobs of solder on things, REALLY REALLY BAD. There are dozens of other qualified individuals who have done more recent under the hood reviews of these death traps. Look for yourself, I wouldn't let someone even plug one of them in at my shop.

Ryan
            MILLERMATIC 350P w/Bernard BTB300 w/XR-A Python 25'
            MULTIMATIC 200 w/Spoolmate 100 w/TIG w/Wireless pedal
            SPECTRUM 375 X-Treme
            (2) DIGITAL ELITE helmets
            Weld-Mask goggles/hood
            OPTREL e684 helmet
            SMITH torches
            HARRIS torches

Comment

I didn't know that about HTP.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                I didn't know that about HTP.
                As far as I knew HTP were built by STEL in Italy

And imported/supported by a guy in Elk Grove, IL..... for the last 20 or so years

in all fairness........... they have a good reputation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMMYzQbaHlM

Last edited by H80N; 02-03-2017, 09:47 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

There are some good products built in China and Taiwan. I have a Chinese Enco lathe that has been used weekly several hours since 1994 and still gives good service. My 1987 Webb milling machine was built in Taiwan and is a great machine. I've even heard good things about Everlast. Would I buy one? No. Not because they are Chinese but rather I have access to some great American Machines like Miller and Lincoln. My Syncrowave 200 has been serving me well since 2006 when I bought it new. My Millermatic 252 was bought new three years ago and is used weekly. Both machines are very reliable and suit my needs. I also have a 20 year old Lincoln AC-DC Tombstone that is still going strong.
                  I understand that one can save money by buying Everlast, Longevity and other similar units but when it comes to welders, I've been well-served with Miller and Lincoln so there's no reason to look elsewhere. When I upgrade my TIG unit, I'd probably buy a Dynasty.
                  Miller Syncrowave 200
                  Milermatic 252
                  Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

Comment

Companies in China build whatever they are asked. Some of the highest quality tools on the planet are made in China. You just won't see them imported here. We only import the crap because if the American consumer can afford more than crap, they buy American. That said, more and more American companies are having Chinese companies build things to their higher tolerances and levels of quality. You will see more and more "American" items made in China, albeit to a higher standard than the typical Chinese-branded crap, and indeed, can be the equal of any American tool or machine. You will have to pay more attention to the labeling instead of just the brand.

Comment

I've debated posting in this so many times... I'm glad they're sending you a brand new machine. That's cool. But what does it say about a company if they just send a new one. Says they have throw away products. I'm not a fan of throw away products.

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post

As far as I knew HTP were built by STEL in Italy

And imported/supported by a guy in Elk Grove, IL..... for the last 20 or so years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMMYzQbaHlM

Sorry, not HTP, yes they are made in Italy. Great now I have worry bout a goombah whos a gonna breaka mya fingers ah....another one with similar letters maybe it's AHP?
                        Last edited by xryan; 02-04-2017, 02:19 AM.
                        Ryan
                        SPECTRUM 375 X-Treme
                        Weld-Mask goggles/hood
                        OPTREL e684 helmet
                        SMITH torches
                        HARRIS torches

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
                          Companies in China build whatever they are asked. Some of the highest quality tools on the planet are made in China. You just won't see them imported here. We only import the crap because if the American consumer can afford more than crap, they buy American. That said, more and more American companies are having Chinese companies build things to their higher tolerances and levels of quality. You will see more and more "American" items made in China, albeit to a higher standard than the typical Chinese-branded crap, and indeed, can be the equal of any American tool or machine. You will have to pay more attention to the labeling instead of just the brand.
                          Correct. I'm sure they do have quality welding equipment that's made in China, but it's never going to come here because yes, our stuff that's similar quality is cheaper/better/made here and used by industry and trades people who want to keep each other employed. However even the quality equipment made there is 99% knock off machines from Miller/Lincoln from US, ESAB from Europe and OTC/Daihen from Japan. They have excellent heavy equipment made there like Caterpillar, etc. and they cost just as much as ones made here because they are made by Caterpillar. These welders are throw away consumer grade equipment, no matter how you slice it. Yes there are high grade electronics made there like IPhones but those are state of the art assembly plants that are pretty much supervised by Apple, etc. Even then the US companies that have stuff assembled by 8 year olds in China still have quality issues (IE; Lincoln low end equipment made for big box stores, etc)

Bottom line, Chinese welding equipment you see here are the Walmart toy version which is fine as long as you realize that. They are not industrial quality, not reliable, and barely have any support. Even with a warranty, what are you going to do next time something doesn't work? Wait a week for some guy in his living room in Georgia to get back to you? Then pay how much to send the junk unit back? Wait how many weeks for another new junk unit. Sending it back COST you probably $50 minimum with shipping/insurance, and you are without a machine for a month or more? Then roll the dice to see if the new one doesn't blow up?Screw that.

We had 2 diametrically opposed posts about quality machines vs crap machines, customer service vs getting jerked around yesterday...Thanks Miller, I'll stick with blue thank you very much. When I do have a problem with my equipment I'll throw it in the back of a truck and drive 5 min down the road and have a factory authorized repair guy look at it. Better yet, I'll call and he'll be over in an hour.
                          Ryan
                          SPECTRUM 375 X-Treme
                          Weld-Mask goggles/hood
                          OPTREL e684 helmet
                          SMITH torches
                          HARRIS torches

Comment

Originally posted by xryan View Post

Sorry, not HTP, great now I got to worry bout a goombah whos a gonna breaka mya fingers ah....another one with similar letters maybe it's AHP?
                            Most likely. I think AHP is the one Southpaw sells.

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post

That would be Mr Jeff Nolan. Great guy...Bob
                              Last edited by aametalmaster; 02-04-2017, 11:49 AM.
                              Bob Wright

Comment

I called up there to Elk Grove once with a tech question right after I got my HTP machine....on a Saturday....talked to Jeff, he solved my issue (which was just my ignorance) immediately. I told him that I didn't expect them to be opened on Saturday. He said they weren't open. <br />
                                <br />
                                On another topic....syncroman....if you get that dynasty, are you gonna change your name? You could come up with a combo of the two....

Comment

Working...
                                X