• Show
Clear All

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Thanks for the review, Jim.

Leave a comment:

• beltguy
    replied
    I know this is an old thread and some folks may not appreciate old threads being brought to the top.

However, I felt very strongly that the TIG Button should be reemphasized for those not familiar with the product.

I am 77 years old and balancing on one foot and trying to control the foot pedal is just about impossible. I have tried the thumb controls and hate them. I first saw a prototype of this product in our local welding shop a few years ago and fell in love with the concept (easy finger tip control of the amperage). I finally bit the bullet and bought one about a year ago for my Miller Synchrowave 180. It has been an amazing help with my TIG welding.

When I first started using the TIG Button, I ran into a problem of being “bit” by some stray current when I activated the button. I contacted Dave Vogel and he walked me through the issue. Turned out that Miller sets up some of their welders for a very high high frequency start amperage and somehow that is conducted to the TIG button. The solution was to set the points gap to a minimum. I bring this up to emphasize that Dave was a most helpful vendor.

Fast forward to this week . To my horror, the TIG Button failed to work and I had to resort to a foot pedal. I contacted Dave and he replied immediately asking me to call him. Over the phone, he quickly walked me though a troubleshooting process and we determined that the flexing in the lead to the torch had loosened the connection. Simple fix and another great support effort by Dave.

Dave's website is a bit sparse right now - he is rebuilding it. Here is the link:
    https://tigcontrol.com/

Jim

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
    Maybe Tigwoof will just add that chart to the manual!
    Then again, this could be one of those production tolerances thing where the issue lies in the individual machine and not the remote amperage controller.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Maybe Tigwoof will just add that chart to the manual!

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    Thank you. It was quite the chore holding the torch in place and turning my head to see the amperage on the machine panel.

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Now that is some nice work IMO.
    I'm not sure you'll find Miller any more accurate.

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    Dave, I have some good info for you before you send out another for the HTP 221

It occurred to me to see how close the TIG Button got to the machine requested amperage. The values were a little lower than I had hoped, but then it also occurred to me, well just how close does the stock foot pedal deliver the requested amperage as well. Then I felt better. The TIG Button is within 1% difference from the stock foot pedal, and within 3% from the amperage requested at the machine panel.

Differences are minimal, but perhaps you can make even better than what the machine comes with!

Last edited by OscarJr; 04-26-2017, 07:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    According to another fellow, the HTP 221 package should be on the www.tigcontrol.com website by the end of the week. So just keep an eye out for it.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I'm ready to buy one for my HTP, Dave.

Leave a comment:

• TigWoof
    replied
    Thank you so very much for testing that for us, Oscar! I am glad to hear that we got it right. LOL There is always a bit of a question if it will work with a new machine we are setting up for the first time.

I appreciate the very kind words as well. I do think that the TigButton brand amperage control is the most intuitive and easiest to use hand control out there.

Talked to a few folks the last week or so about the HTP machines and it seems like they really do a nice job.

We are making progress on a new unit for the Lincolns and other brand which we cannot control at present. As soon as that unit is complete I will pass word.

Hope every one is having a good week!

Dave

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    No problem. This thing is worth its weight in gold, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Sounds like it will be an excellent addition to the arsenal for welding up cages. I will have a drag car roll in for some cage work here in a few weeks. I used to use the thumb knob....hate it. I think I'd rather use lift arc.

Thanks for being the test dummy, Oscar!

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    How about on AC?
    I can do that too. I have no doubt it will work just fine.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    How about on AC?

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    Well the verdict is in for the TIG Button on the HTP Invertig 221 tig welder....

Man, I LOVE this thing! The button sure is sensitive, which is a good thing, IMO. It means that you don't have to exert almost any force with your index finger, which in turns alleviates the tendency to develop a "kung fu" grip on the torch that inevitably limits mobility and fine motor control of your hand. I tried it both on regular DC welding, and with the pulser, and it worked as good as the stock pedal. I have the CK rotary track and slider amptrols, but I doubt I'm ever gonna use them again, this thing is that good. A+.
    Last edited by OscarJr; 04-16-2017, 10:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X