TigButton Hand Control......?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
    It doesn't go bad. It's bottled that way.
    So you're saying that the only way it's bad is that it was bad when bottled?...............and the shelf life of argon is ?

Comment

I'm no gas engineer, but I've never heard of argon expiring or going bad. How did you discover it went bad? Does it have a foul odor or something?

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
        I'm no gas engineer, but I've never heard of argon expiring or going bad......
        +1...... it is INERT ...... Argon does NOT degrade
        Last edited by H80N; 03-22-2017, 08:38 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

That's how I figure it. Plus being under pressure, it's unlikely to be contaminated after being transferred to that cylinder unless there was already something else in the cylinder or the gas was contaminated to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by tarry99 View Post
            Don't know exactly what the shelf life of Argon is , But I had a bottle go bad that was over a year old....supplier took it back and replaced it.
            Pretty sure it can't go bad after a year...
            I leased a 300cu/ft bottle of C25 Argon/Co2 in 2013... still using the same bottle with the same original fill. So 4 years later no problems with gas coverage.

Comment

Funny thing is I have a 300 cf and a 150 cf 100% Argon that are owner bottles that I exchange with Air Gas when needed......The rep stops by when I have a welding question...and in this case My old Miller Dial Arc 250 I thought was having an issue as the weld quality just was not normal.........after looking he specifically ask how old was the gas in the bottle I was using.........I mark them with the date I receive them and also the date I change it over to the welder............The large bottle was on the machine and had been there for two years..........he said lets change it over to the newer filled 150 cf bottle..........we did and the welding issue went away.............he also said he never runs a bottle below 250 psi.............and exchanged the 300 cf bottle for free and never sniveled about the cost? ............so I'm not really sure what to make of all that... but he was definitely leaning towards the age of the gas?

Comment

Eeeek....I have a couple of old bottles of gas that I use infrequently, like Tri-mix and pure helium, I hope this is not contagious.

Comment

Now the reverse of that is I have had Oxygen and Acetylene in bottles for years on the cart with no issue..

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                    I'm no gas engineer, but I've never heard of argon expiring or going bad.?
                    Exactly, it doesn't. It's an elemental gas (with minor traces of impurities of course).

I got the TIG button today for my HTP 221. I should have a chance to use it this weekend.
                    HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                    HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                    HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                    HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
                    HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

So I was stoked to try this Tig Button out. Everything looked good.....

So that green wire has to be grounded to the case of the welder (which should be grounded via case-grounding inside the machine). Well my case is grounded but the screws have sufficient black-oxide coating that I don't feel they will "pick up" what I would consider a good ground.

Zinc-plated screws are better, IMO, so I used a screw and a nut to sandwich the ground wire real good. I can't say I'm crazy about how this looks, but it will have to do for now. I know I can easily figure out a way to simply incorporate it in a much more aesthetic way into the welder.

That was actually yesterday, but it was much too windy to try it out. I'm still at work as I type this, so if I get home early enough, I hope to try it out! Stay tuned!
                      HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                      HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                      HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                      HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                      HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
                      HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

You're killing me brother. Bring that sap sucker over here and we can do it inside.

Comment

Originally posted by tarry99 View Post
                          he also said he never runs a bottle below 250 psi.............
                          That is interesting about not running completely empty. I've never heard of that with shielding gases. I've certainly emptied a many oxy/acetylene tanks and never thought twice about it.

There is a rule of thumb for scuba tanks to not let me run below a couple hundred psi or some dive shops will charge you because they will have to visually inspect the tanks before the next fill. Something about keeping them with contents prevents moisture from entering the tank. If the tanks get moisture in them, they can rust and then have to be tumbled and then hydro-static tested again. I can see that making sense being underwater, but for welding I'm wondering how it would apply.
                          So I'm wondering what his reasoning is for not using up all the shielding gas?

Comment

I think it's just to make sure the pressure always stays above atmospheric pressure so no contaminates can possibly get into the bottle.

Comment

Looks like a good start to some testing!

Really the installation that needs the ground wire is just the Miller Syncrowave when running AC on Aluminum with the High Frequency on full time. That machine has a fearsome high frequency and we find it is induced into the TigButton brand amperage control cable by being in close physical proximetry with the torch leads.

For most of the inverter type machines, I don't believe it is really necessary. We include that because as of current, most of our customers run Miller Syncrowaves. . How many of those do aluminum welding, I don,t know.

Connecting the ground wire does not seem to have any effect upon the control box or the welder at all from extensive testing that we have done.

Hopefully you get a chance to give that a good run soon. We are quite hoping that we have gotten it right for that welder!

Comment

Originally posted by TigWoof View Post
                                Looks like a good start to some testing!

Really the installation that needs the ground wire is just the Miller Syncrowave when running AC on Aluminum with the High Frequency on full time. That machine has a fearsome high frequency and we find it is induced into the TigButton brand amperage control cable by being in close physical proximetry with the torch leads.
                                Have you tried FERRITE BEADS on the control cable to knock down some that pesky RFI....???

might drop it a few DB ..............

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                                Dynasty 200DX
                                Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                                Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Working...
                                X