Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

process and machine selection for my auto restoration business.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by H80N View Post

Or................ a good used Dynasty 200DX for a lot less.......................
    I've been looking.

Comment

I've yet to use my MM211 on something that thin, but as good as it has worked so far, I have no doubt it would excel at thin material welding.
      HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
      HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
      HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
      HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
      HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
      HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

FWIW..... While they BOTH have a valid place in a restoration shop

a TIGGED butt weld joint on auto sheetmetal is readily planished and formed.....

not so much with MIG.....
        Last edited by H80N; 01-29-2017, 07:53 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

I'm going to bump this post and certainly not refute the TIG advice, but for now I'd like to focus on one mig question in particular.

lets say a person already has a machine such as a 252 so you are covered on the mid to heavy task range. Your focus is dedicated light sheet metal machine, you will never need it for anything above 16 gauge. Most of it's use will be 24 to 20 gauge.

Are the little 115 volt machines the clear winners?

a small inverter machine that happens to be dual voltage?

Full disclosure, I'm currently leaning a bit red, looking at 140C which is a transformer machine, I like the drive on that machine.

I realize i'm on a miller forum, what's the best dedicated light sheet metal machine?

Comment

Hard to get a true "best" from most of us, as we will have limited experience and either love or hate the one we just happen to have. That said, there are a few members here, Dan for example, who really do probably know everything there is no know about nearly all the machines out there.

I loved my MM175, and still miss it a little, but I love my HH210, and it's filled the hole in my heart. I loved my MM Passport. I loved my HH135. I like my Lincoln Weld-Pak 100, too.

Comment

I would probably dedicate a MM211 inverter for that job ..............(TIG would still be best)

IMO most of the 120 volt only machines are junk..... don't waste your money
              Last edited by H80N; 02-09-2017, 10:05 PM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 200

Comment

I have the 140C. The only reason I got it was to have the 115v capability. The inverter 211 was not out then. The two only reasons I got the 140C, well the third reason is because I got a screaming deal on it at matheson....it was the display....I liked the drive system and the door to load the wire spool was on the side I needed it to be on. The machine sits on a shelf that hangs off the side of my welding bench, I didn't want to have to pick the machine up and move it around to change wire rolls. <br />
                <br />
                It's fine. Nothing to do cheetah flips about. I mostly run .030 flux core in it. I have welded stainless exhaust with it and it was fine. The gun is pretty light weight and not very rugged. Don't waste your money on the spot timer though.

Comment

I would probably dedicate a MM211 inverter for that job ..............(TIG would still be best)

IMO most of the 120 volt only machines are junk..... don't waste your money
                  so with that said... what about the 215? supposedly the same machine as far as mig function, but with the addition of what might be looked at as entry level tig abilities?

Comment

Norm Finch sure likes his (post earlier in this thread). I think he brings about 50 yrs of welding exp to the discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
                      Norm Finch sure likes his (post earlier in this thread). I think he brings about 50 yrs of welding exp to the discussion.
                      I only bring about 49 years exp................

My Blue Stuff:
                      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Millermatic 200

Comment

Originally posted by northerndave View Post
                        I'm going to bump this post and certainly not refute the TIG advice, but for now I'd like to focus on one mig question in particular.

lets say a person already has a machine such as a 252 so you are covered on the mid to heavy task range. Your focus is dedicated light sheet metal machine, you will never need it for anything above 16 gauge. Most of it's use will be 24 to 20 gauge.

Are the little 115 volt machines the clear winners?

a small inverter machine that happens to be dual voltage?

Full disclosure, I'm currently leaning a bit red, looking at 140C which is a transformer machine, I like the drive on that machine.

I realize i'm on a miller forum, what's the best dedicated light sheet metal machine?
                        I looked at both the Lincoln 140C and Miller MM140C (older transformer version before the inverter ones) and back then I liked the drive roll on the Miller better but especially the settings dial. Its been many years since I last saw one, but I thought the Lincoln was set in click increments on one of the dials where as the miller was infinite adjustment.

My only dislike of the MM140C was I wanted to do thicker material, 16ga to 1/4". So I sold the MM140C and bumped up to the MM252.
                        Never missed the MM140C since, but I did enjoy it for the thin stuff while I had it. Used it to modify a small tilt trailer for my father-in-laws 4 wheeler.
                        Just ran it strickly on flux core .030" since I didn't have C25 at the time.

Comment

I only bring about 49 years exp................
                          50--49-- seems like we're all old! :-). (My phone won't let me use emojis )

While I can speak to fixing things and some low level of welding experience, I really, really appreciate the welding knowledge brought to this site by you and others with years and years of all sorts of experience. People helping people is just cool!
                          Last edited by Aeronca41; 02-10-2017, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by clint738 View Post

I looked at both the Lincoln 140C and Miller MM140C (older transformer version before the inverter ones) and back then I liked the drive roll on the Miller better but especially the settings dial. Its been many years since I last saw one, but I thought the Lincoln was set in click increments on one of the dials where as the miller was infinite adjustment.

My only dislike of the MM140C was I wanted to do thicker material, 16ga to 1/4". So I sold the MM140C and bumped up to the MM252.
                            Never missed the MM140C since, but I did enjoy it for the thin stuff while I had it. Used it to modify a small tilt trailer for my father-in-laws 4 wheeler.
                            Just ran it strickly on flux core .030" since I didn't have C25 at the time.
                            You are referring to the Lincoln 140 T ( Click Increments ) the 140 C , has infinite adjustment.

Norm
                            www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post

You are referring to the Lincoln 140 T ( Click Increments ) the 140 C , has infinite adjustment.

Norm
                              They must not have had on display the Lincoln 140C when I went into the Air Gas store 10 years ago. I was under the impression they didn't have an infinite version at the time.

Comment

Revisiting this topic because it was the first in a search for MM211...I used one for the first time yesterday. A buddy asked if I could weld some floor pans in his 57 Chevy project...of course I will, he's my buddy. So he says, "don't worry about bringing anything, I have everything ready for you, machine and all." ....how many times have we heard that only to show up and find a horrible Freight flux core paper weight? But he did have it all, including his never used MM211, primed and ready to chooch. He even had the replacement pans fit pretty well, so all I had to do really was just show up! Anyway, that little beast really impressed me. I didn't fidget with the autoset, but it only took about a minute to get it dialed in. Probably one of the nicest little mig machines I've ever used, wish I had one.

Comment

Working...
                                X