No announcement yet.

miller 320a/bp problems.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah Binghamton is not far at all the sign in town says 90miles I go through that way a lot and the company doing the big highway/bridge work out there on i81/us17/i88 is from our town I've been down in Louisiana once drove out there for a hay mower I bought totally different scenery I think a lot of people really miss out by flying everywhere this country is so vast and beautiful back to the welder I cleaned all the contactors and it works great even trusted it enough to put the sheet metal back on!! we'll see how it runs later this week I have to patch up a aluminum grain truck for a guy

Comment

also I have a question I forgot to ask what type of tungsten should I be using for aluminum I have some with red stripes and some with purple stripes are either of these right and also this machine says up to 300 amps will I be pushing it by welding 1/4 aluminum on the high setting and possibly overheat it? when I ran some practice beads on 1/4 it was "floored" and then gradually I taper the pedal off does this sound right?

Comment

Originally posted by leeben85 View Post
        also I have a question I forgot to ask what type of tungsten should I be using for aluminum I have some with red stripes and some with purple stripes are either of these right and also this machine says up to 300 amps will I be pushing it by welding 1/4 aluminum on the high setting and possibly overheat it? when I ran some practice beads on 1/4 it was "floored" and then gradually I taper the pedal off does this sound right?
        BLUE 2% Lanthanated ...................would be my first choice

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

2% lanth is an excellent choice. <br />
          <br />
          Traditionally, welding aluminum with a transformer machine called for pure tungsten (green band). That's old school, has a place but is an out dated method. It will work, not as nice (in my opinion) as 2% lanthanated (blue band). <br />
          <br />
          If you have the purple, that is a good choice too. Some guys really like it for all around use, including aluminum...same as the 2% lanthanated.<br />
          <br />
          It's easier to chose one all around tungsten for use with all metals than to stock two or three different ones. That's my thought process at least. <br />
          <br />
          On the thick stuff, or actually most aluminum, it's quite normal to have to back off the heat as the metal gets hot. Pretty much the purpose of the foot pedal. Without a water cooled torch, it won't be long and that tig handle will be burning you through your gloves. If you're planning on doing a lot of heavy aluminum, might I suggest you add a skosh of helium into your shielding gas flow.

Comment

Working...
          X