Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clean and dry is best.

Comment

so I have an update and hopefully made some progress it appears that the main amperage rheostat is burnt out I have only one question before I throw a new on in it would that rheostat being bad affect the output even on remote amperage control? from what I have read in the manual I think it will thanks

Comment

What foot pedal are you using?

Comment

You are correct. The rheostat on the front panel determines the range of the remote control. If the panel control is set at 50%, the remote pedal will have "fine control" of 50% of the selected coarse current range. It is in the circuit even when in remote.
          Last edited by Aeronca41; 01-29-2017, 10:52 PM. Reason: Clarified comment.

Comment

MELTING ALUMINUM!!!!!!!!!! so I think I've got it the main amp adjustment rheostat was burnt out and luckily I have a parts machine sitting in my friends barn so I grabbed one out of it put it in and struck an arc still no real output and then it dropped off to the same faint buzz looked in the machine and the rheostat was glowing red!!! and the control fuse blew now I am really looking it over trying to figure how much copper is in it!!!!!! in the process I power it up and look at the contactors cr2 was open with the power on started poking with a meter and it closed... power off then on still open... slight tap closed again.. struck an arc ran like crazy melting aluminum like its its job again and no more glowing rheostat and now everything seems fine I am going to clean the contactor points tomorrow and see how it goes.. now does this make sense at all to anyone because I cant find in the manual any connection between the stuck contactor and the glowing rheostat

Comment

You're in for some fun if you have to change out any of those old, open frame relays. Fortunately for you, we have recently solved that problem. <br />
              <br />
              And be sure you're using the rfc-23a foot pedal. I don't think any other pedal will work.

Comment

sorry I didn't respond about the pedal it is a rfc-23a pedal and seems to be working fine what do you mean about the relays?

Comment

You mentioned CR2 was giving you some trouble. The old school relays in that machine are only available on fleabay if you can find them. Miller does have parts, but they are the new style and you'll have to modify the cover for them and it's just some work. It's fun and all, don't get me wrong. I would have to look at the parts list, but I think the relays are the same and I have all the part numbers and some spare relays. Thanks to the guys on the forum here, I was successful in replacing a couple.

Comment

sounds like fun to me! I love bringing old equipment back into use its my hobby between machine tools and antique equipment I cant get enough!! but I will say sometimes electrical problems do get me stumped hopefully I have this one beat thanks to the help on here

Comment

What part of the world are you in? <br />
                      <br />
                      Old equipment eh? What else ya got?

Comment

upstate NY between Albany and Oneonta just off i88 I have been collecting since I was about 12 (now they call it hoarding).... antique trucks tractors and machinery we have a dairy farm and I repair equipment on the side started out with some garden tractors and it just went from there probably have 15 trucks mostly IH going back to 1926 and 30 tractors back as far as 1923 and then of course all the odd stuff where are you from?

Comment

You're not all that far from me in BInghamton. Sound like a great collection!

Comment

I grabbed a 65 fury convert in Binghamton about 10 years ago pretty country out there driving out we drove up a mountain seemed like it took a hour to go up it lol..,sorry bout the high jack albany area nice also not far from me in western mass

Comment

I'm on the other side of the country, on the Gulf of Mexico, in Texas about miles from the lowsyanna border. <br />
                              <br />
                              Sounds like you have some awesome stuff! I've been up that way before, really liked it. Only been in the winter. Spent a few weeks in buffalo. I thought the people there were really nice. Great chicken wings too. Played some pond hockey on Erie basin marina. Good times.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
                                You're not all that far from me in BInghamton. Sound like a great collection!
                                Binghamton...???..... about 25 miles away....from here in NE PA.....
                                Last edited by H80N; 02-01-2017, 08:12 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                                Dynasty 200DX
                                Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                                Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Working...
                                X