X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hdws51
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    Don't go building a trailer or anything. That wire will be fine to run some beads like MAC says. Have some fun, then sell it on Craigslist and buy something better.
    No, no trailer, for right now I just want to learn and do small and light projects when I become proficient then I will move on to better equipment. Thanks.
    Last edited by Hdws51; 01-27-2017, 10:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hdws51
    replied
    Yes the only dollar outlay was for the rectifier ($8) $90 for the welder . You see I was a two way radio tech in my first career. I've watched several you tube videos before I bought the thing. I want to get into welding but didn't want to spend the big bucks and find out I didn't have the nack for it. I heard AC welders sucked so I read up and found out FCAW was DCEN, so quick conversion. This way if it turns out I can't do it, not so bad on the pocket book. And Mac, I thought your gif was so cool I copied it. Thanks again for all the help and advice.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    As Mac and Ryan say, just have at it with the cheap wire, to learn, but for real work I stick to Lincoln or Hobart. Bought one roll of Radnor from Airgas; going back to Hobart. Hand a long run in the middle of the Radnor that just wouldn't weld nicely at all. Ripped a pile of it off the roll, tossed it, and it was OK again. Just not consistent.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Don't go building a trailer or anything. That wire will be fine to run some beads like MAC says. Have some fun, then sell it on Craigslist and buy something better.

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    This is curious. You made significant modifications to a cheap machine before you even used it? More power to you, but I do find it interesting! At your level, the wire isn't going to make a significant difference. What you need is arc time. Start welding with what you have. Then you will really know what questions to start asking.

And my .gif above was just a funny. I will always help anyone regardless of their machine.

I've built plenty of stuff with HF welding wire. Yes, the Lincoln Innershield is better. Don't worry about it yet.

Leave a comment:

• Hdws51
    replied
    One more quick question, is the Harbor freight welding wire really as lousy as everyone says? If so I'll just pick up a better brand.

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    I have not heard one single good thing about any of the horrible freight Welders. It may make a good door stop.
    The only decent one is the 165A DC TIG. Back then it didn't have a pedal, but now it does. I'm not saying it will beat out any other welder, but it actually worked decent.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I have not heard one single good thing about any of the horrible freight Welders. It may make a good door stop.

Leave a comment:

• Hdws51
    replied
    I'm ready and rareing to go. Will let you all know how it goes. Thanks again for all your help!! Much appreciated!

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    But-didn't not let the HF machine discourage you. I have never used one, but have seen posts from guys who were ready to give up welding because they couldn't get decent results; they got a better machine and amazed themselves!

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Well get some scrap and pull the trigger.

Leave a comment:

• Hdws51
    replied
    HF 90 amp. Which I converted to a DCEN unit.
    also a relay took care of the hot torch issue.
    Last edited by Hdws51; 01-27-2017, 09:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Hdws51
    replied
    Thanks gents, yes I bought a cheap entry-level one. Why blow up a good one not knowing what I'm doing. Now once I can do good welds, on to the better machine!! Again, thanks much for your help!

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I don't care what machine he bought, I'll still help the guy. Maybe he'll turn out that he really likes wire welding and buy brand spankin new 211 or something to further improve his skill. But it is a fair point, MAC.

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    No one would buy a bargain basement machine and then expect help from Miller on how to use it, would they?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X