No announcement yet.

Breathing in smoke from welding...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've Never worn a mask of any kind in the 50yrs. I've been in the welding industry.

Now, I have C.O.P.D. ( Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease ) - In other words I can't breath very well any longer.
    I had to retire a few months ago, because of my breathing problems.
    I did Not want to retire , but I had no choice.

When I started, and for Many years after, there was very little in the way of any safety devices or concerns , like there is now.

UNFORTUNATELY . - NOW I PAY THE PRICE - EVERYDAY !

Norm.
    www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

I read an article a while back that linked aluminum welding to Alzheimer's.....what was I talking about... O yeah and stainless has real bad for you fumes also,with the high levels of chromium. Basically we should all be wearing breathing protection while welding. Back in the early 90's OSHA came to the company I worked for and took samples of the fumes created by welding. We were TIG welding brass handrails. TIGing brass created a lot of thick white and yellow smoke. Mostly zinc oxide. They put a small monitor with a pump on the lapel of my shirt and took samples for a couple of days. I made a small stand and put the intake for the pump right in the smoke next to the weld for most of each day. That smoke would have killed me if I was to suck that much in. A couple of months later the OSHA dude came back and told me the the levels were well within acceptable limits. What a crock. But like most of us welders I do not wear breathing protection nearly enough. We should all take a lesson from Norm and be more diligent with our own health before it's to late.

Comment

Wow, well guess ill put on my respirator tomorrow...
        if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

I do care. I even want to see what it looks like before you go and screw it up, Oli. We know you will, in short order too.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
            I do care. I even want to see what it looks like before you go and screw it up, Oli. We know you will, in short order too.
            Woop! Always do, I will make sure to post a picture of it

Its a shame really, I am going to REALLY try this time to not scratch the paint job or throw it at someone. Really try.... Reminds me, I gotta go see how far he got on it. Currently using my spanky new goggles while the Titan is getting painted.

Had another buddy paint hockey mask slits into the black grind guard for the goggles Turn around to look at people, they tend to jump a little, its awesome

Comment

It's probably your breath making them jump. Share the respirator a little would ya?

Comment

Good point, guess its possible....I will ask next time.

Comment

If I were to work at welding every day, I would, definitely, take advantage of a fume extractor, and depending on the applicability, a positive pressure air input to my helmet.

A couple of decades ago I was using an airless paint sprayer inside, while wearing a brand new, appropriate air filtration mask. I got 2 walls covered when, all of sudden, I could smell and taste paint. Since it is only natural to not want to stop spraying, I, stupidly, kept going, until I finished the room. The next day I awoke with a severe headache that lasted a week. Lesson learned! For my next inside painting job (and for all of them since) I used my new air pump, which engulfed my face in fresh air, brought in from a clean air source. Spraying became like standing in the middle of an outside flower garden.

When I decided I needed to keep my shop air cleaner, I devised a cheap DIY fume extractor, made from a small squirrel cage blower, salvaged from a clothes dryer, some 4" flexible clothes dryer vent hose, and the lid from an old garbage can for the hood. I suspended the lid on a counter-balanced pulley system, so I could raise and lower it to position over and close to the work area.

After reading this thread I'm going to hook the hose from my air pump to my welding helmet.

Comment

I never thought much about breathing fumes untill I got. pneumonia in July from welding heads on hastalloy pressure vessels. And couldn't get over it it took a bit. And didn't no what caused it. Tell a friend of mine at work said that they had a safety meeting and talked about the effects of welding hastalloy

Comment

There is no metal in this world that has healthy fumes when melted, it just does not exist.

In a perfect world we would all have the right setup to purify our air in the shops or garages we work in, or at least wear respirators. Unfortunately, people like me find it too uncomfortable to wear the respirator for too long so I only wear it during certain jobs which just happen to be the ones that smoke too much where the fumes are visible. Thinking that because you can't see the fumes means they are not there is unfortunately not true but I didn't realize that until I learned it the hard way.

Only been welding for 3 years so I am happy to learn all these things early on.

Comment

I guess I'm the lonesome soldier that will still have his lungs in 4 more decades.
                        HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                        HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                        HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                        HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                        HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
                        HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Maybe , My time is past.
                          After 50 yrs. , it's Too late for me.

My Lungs are destroyed.
                          Norm

Comment

Most of my work involves tig so I don't encounter a lot of smoke or fumes.

Having said that, after reading up on welding galvanized steel and the
                            associated fumes from the zinc and issues with hexavalent chromium with stainless,
                            I figured my lungs and health are worth spending $30.

Don't know if this will work on other nasty gas types but I may bring it
                            to my friend's house when we all get together to watch the Super Bowl.
                            They tend to eat a lot of chili and other gas producing foods along with the usual assorted beers.
                            After over 19 years of Super Bowl parties at their homes, a compromise has been reached.
                            The wives go out shopping while the men watch the game.
                            Saves lots of arguments and the women often spend less shopping than what the men pay for food
                            and beer.
                            I won't complain one bit.

LPR-100™ Half Mask, S/M
                            https://www.millerwelds.com/safety/r...irators-m00469

Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, large first aid kit, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

Wait just one dadgum second. If the wives aren't there, who's runnin to fetch you another beer? I'd die of thirst I guess.<br />
                              <br />
                              I have been sick as a dog from galvanized fumes. The last time was several years ago, I was scrapping a large galvanized frame, outside, good solid wind blowing while I was cutting that thing up with a torch. I was so sick that night, I call poison control, told the nice lady what kind of dumb thing I was doing. She called it metal fume fever and I had ever single symptom she listed....uncontrollable shakes, cold chills followed by cold sweats, joint pain, headache, difficulty taking a deep breath, and on and on. Really, there is no treatment outside of fluids. If I hadn't called poison control, I was going to the ER. Not fun.

Comment

In 1970 & part of 71, I welded Galv. Ski-Do trailers & boat trailers. ( 100% of what we welded was " Galvanized )
                                No, external or internal ventilation was in the shop.
                                It looked just like a snow storm , from the Zinc floating in the air, I could hardly see across the " Small Shop ".

Sick all the time, you almost become used to it.

47yrs. ago there was little to zero safety like now.

I was young and didn't know **** about the dangers of breathing that sh*t.
                                Well, now I'm paying for it .

Norm
                                Last edited by nfinch86; 01-25-2017, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X