Miller just couldn't deliver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller just couldn't deliver

I had my heart set on another "blue" machine (since my MIG is blue), a 180 TIG, but Miller stopped their rebate program and today was the last day to get a Lincoln Square Wave 200 for $1200 (after rebate) --- much less than the 180. Actually just as capable, perhaps even more so as it provides adjustments on AC Frequency, AC Pulse, and AC Balance --- all critical for TIG. Not sure why the 180 uses "presets" --- hope they'll change that in the future.

When circumstances caused it, my first non-Blue machine still kind of broke my heart. After that, Hobarts and Lincolns weren't so bad anymore, and I still have at least one of all three!

Comment

Originally posted by Customizer View Post
      Not sure why the 180 uses "presets" --- hope they'll change that in the future.
      Because once you start adding more bells and whistles, then you would have a "Dynasty-ish" machine, and that would compete with sales of Dynasty units. That's like buying a Chevy Cavalier and wondering why it doesn't have the bells and whistles that a Cadillac has, all while being just as cheap as a normal Cavalier. If you want a Caddy, buy a Caddy.
      HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
      HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
      HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
      HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
      HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
      HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Originally posted by OscarJr View Post

Because once you start adding more bells and whistles, then you would have a "Dynasty-ish" machine, and that would compete with sales of Dynasty units. That's like buying a Chevy Cavalier and wondering why it doesn't have the bells and whistles that a Cadillac has, all while being just as cheap as a normal Cavalier. If you want a Caddy, buy a Caddy.
        To be perfectly honest, I would have gone with the 180 (even if more expensive) had they provided (at least) the ability to control balance for pen vice cleaning --- important for alum. I think I understand why Miller set its Freq Preset (120) and Bal Preset (72) up the way they did on the 180, but with the competition adding these for close to $1000 a machine cheaper, Miller should step up to the plate.

Comment

Originally posted by Customizer View Post

To be perfectly honest, I would have gone with the 180 (even if more expensive) had they provided (at least) the ability to control balance for pen vice cleaning --- important for alum. I think I understand why Miller set its Freq Preset (120) and Bal Preset (72) up the way they did on the 180, but with the competition adding these for close to $1000 a machine cheaper, Miller should step up to the plate.
          That's because Lincoln doesn't have something to compete with the Dynasty Series in the sense of a small, inverter-based ~200A fully featured TIG machine. So they have to put those features into their lower lines. Miller, not so much in that position.
          HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
          HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
          HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
          HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
          HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
          HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

So Mr Customizer. Are you Francis J or Auto Tech? And I do know the answer...Bob
            Bob Wright

Comment

It's odd how all those users seem to share some personality traits .. :-)

thanks, Bob.

Comment

Well, fellas, I have 3 Miller machines and when I bought them , I NEVER even considered another brand before buying. At all the manufacturing plants I worked at, every one of them had nothing but Miller welders and most had Hypertherm plaz machines, which is why I have both those brands in my garage. And I don't understand why anyone would be on a Miller forum and lament their perceived shortcomings over other brands. Like others have said, buy what you think you'll be happy with and be done with it. Hey Bob, will your detective skills qualify you for Super Moderator?

Comment

Originally posted by Metjunkie View Post
                  Well, fellas, I have 3 Miller machines and when I bought them , I NEVER even considered another brand before buying.Hey Bob, will your detective skills qualify you for Super Moderator?
                  Maybe I will get bar #3 under my name . I have worked in shops for the last 40 years. 99.9% of them used Miller for the Migs and Lincoln for the Stick/Tig welders. Seems its still that way...Bob
                  Bob Wright

Comment

I'm gonna go over to the Lincoln forum and tell all those guys how much I prefer Miller machines because Miller machines are awesome and how the miller people are so much nicer and helpful-er and how my dad can beat up their dad and all that stuff....

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                      I'm gonna go over to the Lincoln forum and tell all those guys how much I prefer Miller machines because Miller machines are awesome and how the miller people are so much nicer and helpful-er and how my dad can beat up their dad and all that stuff....
                      The Lincoln Forum will be online April 1st. Yeah it won't...Bob
                      Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                        Funny how some people just love to come onto Miller threads to say how Lincoln is so much better and all the cool kids use Lincoln, and you'll never get a pipeline job with a Blue mocheen, blah blah blah, – yet you almost never see Miller guys go onto Lincoln threads to take a dump on Lincoln. They just go to work.

Kinda makes you think of a ragged-out 50-year-old Volkswagen Beetle plastered with bumper stickers of kids taking a pee on Corvettes...while the Corvettes pass them on their way to work, oblivious...who cares?

Comment

Lol...

It's really a pointless argument, if the machine works for you, use it.

I have Millers at work so I got hooked on Miller there (like really hooked), had it been Lincoln at work, it might have been different.

I see Millers way more than I do Lincolns. In clearwater I have seen them on trucks, construction sites, my shop, another 2 company shops and I have come across one lincoln on a truck in the field and another 2 lincolns at another one of our shops.

I really just like Miller because it has yet to fail on me, I don't use a Lincoln to put it to the test but I found a brand that seems to never go down so I am happy with that, I stick to that.

Don't know if they are really all that different, no need to get into a fight over it, weld with what you have and buy what you want.
                          if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

Originally posted by Olivero View Post

I see Millers way more than I do Lincolns. In clearwater I have seen them on trucks, construction sites, my shop, another 2 company shops and I have come across one lincoln on a truck in the field and another 2 lincolns at another one of our shops.
                            Its different here in NE Ohio over the last 3 years or so with all of the pipeline work. I bet I saw 200 Lincolns and 3 Millers in trucks. Now service trucks where they are setting up on the side of a bed its almost all Millers. Like a RR truck or a sign company. Now rentals in the field at the refinery I worked in was all Millers but that was what the local rental place had on hand. So its whatever you like and want to buy...Bob
                            Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                              So Mr Customizer. Are you Francis J or Auto Tech? And I do know the answer...Bob
                              Trolls are losers whose punishment is the self infllicted loneliiness & misery that is their only companion......

pretty sad altogether..........

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                              Dynasty 200DX
                              Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                              Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Working...
                              X