Miller econotig 50 amp to 30 amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller econotig 50 amp to 30 amp

Hello everyone, new to this forum and very new to tug welding. I'll be doing some small hobby welding.

I obtained an econotig welder that is 50 amp compatible.

A few questions:
    1. Does this machine draw 50 amps?
    2. Can the plug be changed to 30 amp plug? I only have 30 amp breaker, wiring and plug.
    3. If I change it to that plug, will I have any issues?

Thank you in advance.
    Miguel

the Econotigs are power hogs.

Input specs requires 60amp CB for 150amps welding.

You can try it on your 30 CB but it will probably trip it if you need more than 100amps of welding power.

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Ed's got the short answer. But I'm listening to good rock and roll right now and in the mood to give the long answer. It all depends on what you are going to weld with it, and how long you plan to use that circuit to feed it.

It will draw power proportional to what it is using for welding. You can maybe do a lot with it without ever tripping a 30A circuit, and you'll learn soon enough how much. You won't hurt anything to try it unless you have Stab-Lok breakers, in which case you should do some research about upgrading your entire panel.

Yes, you can put whatever plug you want on the machine. The default "welder plug" is the 50A configuration for most welders that draw between 20 and 70 amps. At this point, it's just a configuration standard.

Even welders that draw more for brief periods of time (pretty much in the nature of manual welding) are allowed to run on smaller wire and plugs. In other words, don't worry about that part. Don't worry about the math either, at your level of usage.

Now for something interesting. If you can dedicate that circuit to the welder, you can actually replace the 30A breaker with a 50A breaker (probably even the 60A) and get much more out of your machine. Do not do that with a circuit that can be used for things other than welders, as only things like welders are allowed to use wire smaller than what would normally be required for that circuit. Label the circuit properly, and remember to restore the smaller breaker when it's no longer for welders.
      Last edited by MAC702; 01-06-2017, 03:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I'll second MAC702s recommendation on raising the breaker to 50 amps assuming the wire presently in the circuit is AWG 10 or larger, and you do not have FPE (Federal Pacific Electric) Stab-Lok breakers-(if you do, replace your panel NOW while you still have a house). I might add that the change is made safe by the fact that the Econotig is only rated at 20% duty cycle, which allows use of a very low multiplier factor of .45 when doing the math required by Art. 630 of the NEC. If you upgrade to a welder rated at a higher duty cycle, you would have to install larger wire. So, buy a 50A breaker (or even a 60A-it fits in the math) and go for it, so long as you follow MAC's directions.

Comment

Working...
        X