Clear All

• D Auger
    replied
    Jody on weldingtipsandtricks.com has a
    lot of good pointers .

Leave a comment:

• Djc
    replied
    Progress report. Miller sent me some tips to try. They didn't fit either. I began searching images of tips online and found one that looked exactly like the one on my gun. As it turns out, Harbor Freight, of all places, had the tips. So I guess the previous owner had replaced the gun with a cheap one from HF.
    Anyway, I got some HF tips and they fit and I just finished my first project. 2 1.5" welds on a backyard patio table to put a leg back on. Looks terrible but no one should be looking under the table anyway. lol
    Had to really slow down the wire feed as about 7-8 inches shot out when I first pulled the trigger. much better now. Two more projects coming up.
    Thanks again for all the pointers here. I'm sure I'll need more. David

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    You will have to resign yourself to the extremely complicated (insert sarcasm here) world of solid wire welding if you're planning to use .023 mig wire. <br />
    <br />
    No gnomes....but maybe a troll or three....

Leave a comment:

• Djc
    replied
    .023 sounds about right. It is certainly a tiny hole. Went to local Red Ball welding shop here. Tried a couple of their tips but threads were wrong. Tried drilling out this tip. Broke the bit. So, I've now contacted Miller about new tips and waiting to hear back. Guess this shows why I got the machine for $100 and a grinder. I'd be ok with .023 I think, but don't want to buy a gas bottle and get even more complicated. We'll see where it goes. Hoping Miller has some solution for me.
    You guys are a wealth of knowledge and I'm appreciative of your willingness to share it.

Leave a comment:

• Olivero
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    If you find .023 flux core, my guess is it'll be sitting between a pot of gold and a unicorn. Not to say that the .023 flux core is worth it's weight in gold, but you get my meaning.
    No gnomes guarding the pot o' gold aye?

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    If you find .023 flux core, my guess is it'll be sitting between a pot of gold and a unicorn. Not to say that the .023 flux core is worth it's weight in gold, but you get my meaning.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Originally posted by Djc View Post
    Well, I see now that I'm looking at the nozzle, not the tip. Going to see if I can remove the tip and read the size on it. Duh!

So I guess the tip says 90 or 06. (see attachment) Still no help. I'll try to get a new .035 tip.
    I think the number on your contact tip is probably 0.6 (mm), which is .023, probably the reason your .035 wire doesn't work. As meltedmetal says, it looks like that machine was designed for .023 wire. I have never seen .023 flux core wire, and a quick web search didn't turn up any, but that's not to say it doesn't exist. I'm guessing you are going to need get a gas bottle and will have to run solid wire. CO2 is way cheaper than argon mix in small bottles, but will run a bit hotter with more splatter.

Glad the root root canal came out painless!

Leave a comment:

• Metjunkie
    replied
    When all I had was a 110 machine, I read somewhere that a smaller wire would get better penetration, at the the designated parameters, simply because it takes less heat to melt a smaller wire, thus more heat goes into the weld. How true, I can't say, but it certainly makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• Meltedmetal
    replied
    The top of page 7 in your machine's manual would seem to indicate it was designed for .023 wire with gas only, as I don't think anyone makes a flux core wire that small. This is a discussion on another forum of wire sizes and 130v wire welders you might find interesting: http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...estions-please

I see on page 9 that Miller also recommends C02 gas although C25 can be used but may get pricey in small cylinders.

You might be better with the smaller wire rather than the larger tip as you may find the machine under powered for larger wire.

---Meltedmetal

Leave a comment:

• Djc
    replied
    Well, I see now that I'm looking at the nozzle, not the tip. Going to see if I can remove the tip and read the size on it. Duh!

So I guess the tip says 90 or 06. (see attachment) Still no help. I'll try to get a new .035 tip.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Djc; 03-15-2017, 01:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Djc
    replied
    Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post

Glad to hear from you again. Sounds like you're due for a little relaxing welding; you've had some hard stuff on your plate. To borrow a comparison, the worst day welding is better than the best root canal! And storm recovery, coupled with Mom to a nursing home -- that's heavy stuff.

When you get back to the welder, Check your wire spool hub. Sometimes there is a removable sleeve that slips on for the big rolls and off for the little ones. Not saying your machine has it, but take a look.

The chart that's missing from the door is in the manual H80N linked to; also shows the polarity change board.
    Yes, its been a journey. But good as new today. Root canal was surprisingly pleasant. Cute little lady endodontist and painless procedure.
    The shaft is plastic but doesn't remove. I bought a larger 5lb roll of 35 flux and it fits the shaft but the little peg in the rear doesn't fit the offset hole in the spool. But I got it to snug up so it doesn't freewheel on me. Wire fed thru to the tip very easily but wouldn't come out. Now it seems the tip is too small for 35. I blew it out with air hose. So, now a new tip or smaller wire. ????
    The tip has a few numbers on it but they tell me nothing about size. 145 0410. No other markings. Here's a picture.
    Last edited by Djc; 03-15-2017, 12:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Djc
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    There certainly an aftermarket adapter to put one of those itty bitty spools in there, or you can make something to hold it. It just needs to have a skosh of tension on it so it doesn't unwind itself inside your machine. <br />
    <br />
    Miller has a weld settings app for your smart phone, it will get you as close or closer than any chart will for a starting point. <br />
    <br />
    Once you get started, you will find your skills increase rapidly as long as you pay attention to all the basics. <br />
    <br />
    You'll also want to move into solid wire. Don't get me wrong, I like flux core and dual shield, but solid wire is just a cleaner process.
    Thanks Ryan. I'll look for the app. My welder has a gas hook up but no bottle or hose. Would I have to have gas for solid wire? That was my understanding.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    There certainly an aftermarket adapter to put one of those itty bitty spools in there, or you can make something to hold it. It just needs to have a skosh of tension on it so it doesn't unwind itself inside your machine. <br />
    <br />
    Miller has a weld settings app for your smart phone, it will get you as close or closer than any chart will for a starting point. <br />
    <br />
    Once you get started, you will find your skills increase rapidly as long as you pay attention to all the basics. <br />
    <br />
    You'll also want to move into solid wire. Don't get me wrong, I like flux core and dual shield, but solid wire is just a cleaner process.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Originally posted by Djc View Post
    Again, my apologies for not responding to your comments lately. Getting mom settled in nursing home, doing tornado recovery work and dealing with a evil tooth (root canal yesterday) I just haven't had much time or inclination to get started with the welder.

I did find out that the little practice roll of flux wire I bought wouldn't fit my machine. The spool had a tiny hole and the shaft it mounts on was about 2" in diameter. Just bought a new, larger roll today and it fits the shaft and fed wire all the way to the tip but stopped. Guess I'll remove the gun and clean it out as advised by ryanjones. The manual I downloaded doesn't match this old machine exactly but it has good info in it.

I see that some welders have charts inside the doors that tell you what settings to use for wire type and size, metal thickness, etc. But this one doesn't. Doesn't even have notes about switching over from gas, flux of reg wire. Guess its trial and error. Don't need any big errors, :-**

So, I'll try to check in more often to respond to your much appreciated advice. David
    Glad to hear from you again. Sounds like you're due for a little relaxing welding; you've had some hard stuff on your plate. To borrow a comparison, the worst day welding is better than the best root canal! And storm recovery, coupled with Mom to a nursing home -- that's heavy stuff.

When you get back to the welder, Check your wire spool hub. Sometimes there is a removable sleeve that slips on for the big rolls and off for the little ones. Not saying your machine has it, but take a look.

The chart that's missing from the door is in the manual H80N linked to; also shows the polarity change board.

Leave a comment:

• Djc
    replied
    Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
    20 degrees sounds pretty frosty for northern La. Is that common? You need to get that welder going to keep you warm!
    Yes it is frosty, but not uncommon. February is usually the coldest for us. Had 4 snows a couple years ago. That was unusual. Been a mild winter so far but back in the low 30's last few nights with the cold front just north of us.
    Last edited by Djc; 03-14-2017, 02:43 PM. Reason: corrections

Leave a comment:

Working...
X