X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    I'm assuming the transformer he was using to feed it 120v didn't change the HZ.

doubt the military is paying for fancy transformers that change the HZ
    Transfomers can only change the voltage ratio from primary to secondary....and have no effect on the frequency..

.... thus the HZ out is always the same as the HZ in
    Last edited by H80N; 01-15-2017, 09:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    I'm assuming the transformer he was using to feed it 120v didn't change the HZ.

doubt the military is paying for fancy transformers that change the HZ

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    For sure. Need to be VERY wary of overheating on 50 Hz. I would not expect that machine to hold up well.

Leave a comment:

• BukitCase
    replied
    If you're in contact with Scott via PM you might wanna ALSO warn him that since the older 211's have continuous cooling, the FAN motor (or the circuit boards, for that matter) may bite the big one first - I'm not sure if the overtemp is set up to respond to THAT problem or not, and if cooling is ALREADY marginal @ 50 hZ, it might get REAL UGLY.

If he can find one, I'd recommend a REALLY watchful eye and the use of an IR temp gun to see if ANYTHING, but especially the fan motor and the mains transformer are getting very warm.

In fact, in all honesty if it were mine (unless I was MADE of money) I would just PUT IT BACK IN THE BOX til I was deployed somewhere with 60 hZ power, or SELL it and use the money toward the newer version... Steve

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Talked with him via PM. He's on the way to using an adapter for the 220v per Broccoli's suggestion and being very wary of overheating on 50 hz.

Leave a comment:

• BukitCase
    replied
    Oscar, since you quoted ME I'll answer - I HAD the older 211, liked it except for the 10 foot torch limitation and no 12" spools; so when I found a REALLY good deal on a fully loaded mm252 I bought it and sold the 211 to a friend.

Can't answer for Bulletpruf, but from the dates mentioned I would guess HIS is the old one also... Steve

Duh, just went back and re-read the first page where Bulletpruf (Scott) mentioned his is ALSO the older version...
    Last edited by BukitCase; 01-13-2017, 04:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    Originally posted by BukitCase View Post
    Kevin, thanks for the clarification (and the kind words) -

I was pretty sure that was the case on the older mm211, as MOST companies will brag (mention) about anything that could be considered a selling point (it's only good business practice)and, since it wasn't mentioned (and since I've been repairing/maintaining/teaching electronics of a wide variety since 1966) I assumed (put the hyphens in that word where necessary :=) that 50 hZ would have been mentioned if it was OK...

For anyone who has to travel outside the US, that is one of the DEFINITE advantages of the newer inverter technology - designed correctly, an inverter machine should be able to take just about ANY power source, "grind it up" and "spit out" just what it needs. (The 50% weight reduction doesn't hurt either :=) ...Steve
    Soooo, do you have the old 211 or the new 211?

Leave a comment:

• bulletpruf
    replied
    Thanks, Kevin. I appreciate the information.

Scott

Leave a comment:

• BukitCase
    replied
    Kevin, thanks for the clarification (and the kind words) -

I was pretty sure that was the case on the older mm211, as MOST companies will brag (mention) about anything that could be considered a selling point (it's only good business practice)and, since it wasn't mentioned (and since I've been repairing/maintaining/teaching electronics of a wide variety since 1966) I assumed (put the hyphens in that word where necessary :=) that 50 hZ would have been mentioned if it was OK...

For anyone who has to travel outside the US, that is one of the DEFINITE advantages of the newer inverter technology - designed correctly, an inverter machine should be able to take just about ANY power source, "grind it up" and "spit out" just what it needs. (The 50% weight reduction doesn't hurt either :=) ...Steve

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Kevin, thank you for responding! Good to be sure he has the straight scoop.

Leave a comment:

• Miller Kevin
    replied
    Bulletpruf, if you have the older transformer style Millermatic 211 then you definitely should not put 230 volts into the unit using the 115 volt adapter as it will damage the unit. This model is also strictly 60 Hz, running it on 50 Hz will affect the weld performance and the unit will easily overheat as well. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me directly by PM or e-mail: [email protected] .

I would also like to say THANK YOU to all who have served or are currently serving our country.

Kevin

Leave a comment:

• bulletpruf
    replied
    Thanks for the additional info, fellas. And thanks for your service, too, Steve, as well as Aeronca41!

Scott

Leave a comment:

• BukitCase
    replied
    Customizer, that was exactly my point - the older mm211 weighs exactly TWICE what the newer one does and is transformer based (I owned one til I found a super deal on a nearly new mm252) the newer one (about 35 lbs instead of 70, and WHY didn't Miller AT LEAST put a "B" after the model #??) IS inverter based.

I really wish a MILLER REP would weigh in here, so Bulletpruf can be SURE about using his 211 overseas, and HOW he should/shouldn't do it -

I think that's the LEAST we can do for our service people - BTW, THANK YOU Bulletpruf, from ANOTHER Army vet (1965-1969) ...Steve

Leave a comment:

• Customizer
    replied
    Originally posted by BukitCase View Post
    I would be MUCH more concerned about the 50 hZ power - if it's the older version of the 211, there is ZERO mention of 50 hZ power. You might get away with it for a while, but if you PUSH it too hard the power supply may either shut down/overheat, or just DIE -

The manual for the NEWER version of the mm211 DOES state 50/60 hZ power... Steve

For all --- On the topic of 50 vice 60 hz, today's full wave rectifiers in INVERTERS are designed to work both. If his is INVERTER based he's ok ................if older (TRANSFORMER) I'd say running on 50hz would have duty cycle impacts.
    Last edited by Customizer; 01-04-2017, 09:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bulletpruf
    replied
    Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post

The old one is larger and has a single folding handle like a suitcase on top; knobs are stacked vertically. The new one is much lighter, smaller, and adds crosswise handles on top front and back as well as one in the middle on top. The knobs are arranged horizontally rather than vertically. I have the old one. I'm not good with dates but I'm pretty sure the new one didn't come out until 2015.
    Yep. I have the old one.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

Working...
X