No announcement yet.

Miller 211 - Using 220 on 110 Plug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kevin, thank you for responding! Good to be sure he has the straight scoop.

Comment

Kevin, thanks for the clarification (and the kind words) -

I was pretty sure that was the case on the older mm211, as MOST companies will brag (mention) about anything that could be considered a selling point (it's only good business practice)and, since it wasn't mentioned (and since I've been repairing/maintaining/teaching electronics of a wide variety since 1966) I assumed (put the hyphens in that word where necessary :=) that 50 hZ would have been mentioned if it was OK...

For anyone who has to travel outside the US, that is one of the DEFINITE advantages of the newer inverter technology - designed correctly, an inverter machine should be able to take just about ANY power source, "grind it up" and "spit out" just what it needs. (The 50% weight reduction doesn't hurt either :=) ...Steve

Comment

Thanks, Kevin. I appreciate the information.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by BukitCase View Post
          Kevin, thanks for the clarification (and the kind words) -

I was pretty sure that was the case on the older mm211, as MOST companies will brag (mention) about anything that could be considered a selling point (it's only good business practice)and, since it wasn't mentioned (and since I've been repairing/maintaining/teaching electronics of a wide variety since 1966) I assumed (put the hyphens in that word where necessary :=) that 50 hZ would have been mentioned if it was OK...

For anyone who has to travel outside the US, that is one of the DEFINITE advantages of the newer inverter technology - designed correctly, an inverter machine should be able to take just about ANY power source, "grind it up" and "spit out" just what it needs. (The 50% weight reduction doesn't hurt either :=) ...Steve
          Soooo, do you have the old 211 or the new 211?
          HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
          HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
          HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
          HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
          HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
          HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Oscar, since you quoted ME I'll answer - I HAD the older 211, liked it except for the 10 foot torch limitation and no 12" spools; so when I found a REALLY good deal on a fully loaded mm252 I bought it and sold the 211 to a friend.

Can't answer for Bulletpruf, but from the dates mentioned I would guess HIS is the old one also... Steve

Duh, just went back and re-read the first page where Bulletpruf (Scott) mentioned his is ALSO the older version...
            Last edited by BukitCase; 01-13-2017, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Talked with him via PM. He's on the way to using an adapter for the 220v per Broccoli's suggestion and being very wary of overheating on 50 hz.

Comment

If you're in contact with Scott via PM you might wanna ALSO warn him that since the older 211's have continuous cooling, the FAN motor (or the circuit boards, for that matter) may bite the big one first - I'm not sure if the overtemp is set up to respond to THAT problem or not, and if cooling is ALREADY marginal @ 50 hZ, it might get REAL UGLY.

If he can find one, I'd recommend a REALLY watchful eye and the use of an IR temp gun to see if ANYTHING, but especially the fan motor and the mains transformer are getting very warm.

In fact, in all honesty if it were mine (unless I was MADE of money) I would just PUT IT BACK IN THE BOX til I was deployed somewhere with 60 hZ power, or SELL it and use the money toward the newer version... Steve

Comment

For sure. Need to be VERY wary of overheating on 50 Hz. I would not expect that machine to hold up well.

Comment

I'm assuming the transformer he was using to feed it 120v didn't change the HZ.

doubt the military is paying for fancy transformers that change the HZ
                    Ed Conley
                    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                    MM252
                    MM211
                    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                    TA185
                    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                    O/A set
                    SO 2020 Bender
                    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                      I'm assuming the transformer he was using to feed it 120v didn't change the HZ.

doubt the military is paying for fancy transformers that change the HZ
                      Transfomers can only change the voltage ratio from primary to secondary....and have no effect on the frequency..

.... thus the HZ out is always the same as the HZ in
                      Last edited by H80N; 01-15-2017, 09:15 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Working...
                      X