Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for tips welding a cracked boss on an engine block with Crown Alloys 44-30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for tips welding a cracked boss on an engine block with Crown Alloys 44-30

I'm hoping aametalmaster will chime in on this as he's posted successful results with this wire on cast parts. I have 44-30 wire coming in the next week.

I recently found a crack starting at the drain plug boss in my 351W engine block, seen in the image below. I'd like to try and repair this in the car without pulling the motor out and tearing it down. I understand that this would best be done as a bare block, with a pre- and post-heat, however if I'm going to tear it down that far I'd probably just go with a different long block.

This area on the motor will never see any stress, but it will obviously be subject to tons of thermal cycling in operation between 30-220F.

Welder is a Miller 211. My plan is to find the end of the crack and drill through it to the coolant passage with a 1/8" or 3/16" bit, and then cut 1/8" deep bevel along the crack. The crack is a little over an inch long.

My questions are as follows:
    - Any suggestions on settings for the Miller 211 using this .035 wire? I do not know what the water jacket thickness is yet, but I would guess ~1/4"
    - Should I try to minimize the heat and weld it in very short (<0.25") stitches, allowing it to cool completely between welds? Would even a series of tacks be adequate? I'm trying to stop it from cracking further and seal out ~15psi water.
    - Do I need to hammer peen the weld as it cools?
    - Do I have a chance in **** of welding this without it cracking?
    Last edited by big jim; 01-02-2017, 08:43 PM.

May sound off the wall

But.... I would NOT weld it................

I would remove the plug and clean off the crack down to bare metal with a wire brush on a die grinder or drill motor

And daub the crack with some "water glass" on a Q-Tip ( Aka "sodium silicate"..."liquid glass" )

replace the plug with a brass one.... tighten gently

Have seen it work... many times

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...r=yfp-t-m&fp=1

Last edited by H80N; 01-02-2017, 09:31 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll look into this option

Comment

You could also use an expanding rubber plug, but I agree with not welding it if you don't want to pull the engine.

Liquid Glass is some amazing stuff. Was the stuff they used to kill the engines on cash for clunker cars. You should see what it does to the inside of an engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Lostone View Post
          You could also use an expanding rubber plug, but I agree with not welding it if you don't want to pull the engine.

Liquid Glass is some amazing stuff. Was the stuff they used to kill the engines on cash for clunker cars. You should see what it does to the inside of an engine.
          Think they put it in the crankcase

That was the Dark Side..... it can be used for good...........

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
          Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Working...
          X