Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller dynasty 280DX ? for folks at Miller.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller dynasty 280DX ? for folks at Miller.

So, I just bought a 280 dx. I really enjoy it. By all accounts my practice at welding aluminum is coming along rather well.

My question is really for the folks at miller. I believe the package I bought is considered a tigrunner package. Came with cart, cooler, wireless footpedal, etc....

Why, for the 7-8K I spent, does it not come with a flex head torch? Don't most people in the real world require one?

I will be useing mine to repair pontoon boats. I have been practicing out of positon welding of aluminum. A flex head will help a great deal.

I guess I just think that if someone is willing to spend the money I spent then raise the price a 100 bucks or whatever and make it come standard with the flex head. If someone is gonna lay down the $'s a few hundred isn't gonna stop them. I may be wrong but a flex head will work in the standard position and also work in various other angles. Just supply the flex head the first time.

Also, maybe make the site a little easier to figure out what I need to buy to end up with a flex head torch. Part numbers and such for the head, handle and whatever. I believe that cables I have will already suffice.

Just saying...no offense intended.

Call and tell them. This is probably why I like to call and make my purchases anyway. But you have a valid point. <br />
    <br />
    Consider this...where do the upgrades stop? $100 for a flex head, why not $200 for a flex lock? And how about another $80 for a gas lense kit? They should probably go ahead and up the price another $50 and include a couple of packs of tungsten and $40 for a torch lead sleeve. <br />
    <br />
    Most of the time the standard torch suits my needs, but I also have never repaired an aluminum pontoon. I have flex heads on all my machines, even the scratch start ones. But most of the time the heads are pretty much in then standard position. <br />
    <br />
    Last machine I got, I immediately put a flex head on it and made the one that came with it my backup....and it came into use a few weeks ago when I just about melted down my torch....you know how it goes, get busy and want to push through and finish the job....until the torch gets so hot that it blows a hole in the side and starts leaking argon...made me mad.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
      Call and tell them. This is probably why I like to call and make my purchases anyway. But you have a valid point. <br />
      <br />
      Consider this...where do the upgrades stop? $100 for a flex head, why not $200 for a flex lock? And how about another $80 for a gas lense kit? They should probably go ahead and up the price another $50 and include a couple of packs of tungsten and $40 for a torch lead sleeve. <br />
      <br />
      Most of the time the standard torch suits my needs, but I also have never repaired an aluminum pontoon. I have flex heads on all my machines, even the scratch start ones. But most of the time the heads are pretty much in then standard position. <br />
      <br />
      Last machine I got, I immediately put a flex head on it and made the one that came with it my backup....and it came into use a few weeks ago when I just about melted down my torch....you know how it goes, get busy and want to push through and finish the job....until the torch gets so hot that it blows a hole in the side and starts leaking argon...made me mad.
      FWIW...... I don't like flex heads..

but do have torches of various styles.... on the shelf.....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Flex heads are nice but not everyone prefers them over a standard. A skilled operator can make all the same welds with a standard torch. I've done a lot of stainless sheet work and at my old job they had options, either standard or flex your preference. I used flex when I started but after I worked there for a while I switched to standard because even tho flex heads are handy they break after being bent so many times. Also a standard torch won't flex if you use the cup to press a seam together while tacking, which is a technique I used a lot. Yeah they could be an option when ordering a package but if mine had come with a flex the first thing I'd have done is change it out for a standard stiff body.

Comment

When we got our 280, we got the torch with the interchangeable heads. As well as the flex head torch. We could seldom, if ever, stand using a fixed head torch.
          We do jobs everyday that you would have to bend a standard torch to work. If you want the best weld possible.
          We constantly have to change the angle. It would simply never be cost effective to use a standard torch especially when you're paying someone to do it.
          The standard torch that came with the machine, has never been, or ever will, see any use in our shop.
          Last edited by FusionKing; 12-27-2016, 09:41 PM.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
          Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
          MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
          Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
          Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
          Miller 30-A Spoolgun
          Miller WC-115-A
          Miller Spectrum 300
          Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
          Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Jakedaawg We appreciate your feedback on this and will share your comments with our team.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
            X