Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to welding and just got accepted into a mig welding class.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bodaway
    replied
    Note to self, cotton is king, except when hiking in the winter, then cotton kills.

Too many things to remember!

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by Lostone View Post

poly clothing and sparks don't mix. Funny this came up as no lie I did this today. I was only going make one quick weld so I didn't put on any "protection"

Its amazing how fast those work pants will burn.
    OUCH..!!!!

precisely why I made my "COTTON" comment

Leave a comment:

• Lostone
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    Not supposed to wear synthetic stuff under my gear at work. But I say if my boys are getting shrink wrapped by my underwear getting too hot, I have bigger problems. <br />
    <br />
    But if you haven't had spatter singe a hole right through your britches into the nether regions, you just haven't lived. And that spatter will go right through your expensive, stretchy anti-chaffing underwear and that will make you sad.
    poly clothing and sparks don't mix. Funny this came up as no lie I did this today. I was only going make one quick weld so I didn't put on any "protection"

Its amazing how fast those work pants will burn.

Leave a comment:

• Olivero
    replied
    Originally posted by Meltedmetal View Post

And when it does be sure to post the video on Youtube. It could start a new dance craze. That gangnum guy made a fortune, you might never have to work again.
    ---Meltedmetal
    Lol, fantastic idea!

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    Not supposed to wear synthetic stuff under my gear at work. But I say if my boys are getting shrink wrapped by my underwear getting too hot, I have bigger problems. <br />
    <br />
    But if you haven't had spatter singe a hole right through your britches into the nether regions, you just haven't lived. And that spatter will go right through your expensive, stretchy anti-chaffing underwear and that will make you sad.
    have had that dubious honor... many times.....

COTTON... or NOMEX will help keep the happy parts.... happy...........

Leave a comment:

• Meltedmetal
    replied
    Originally posted by Olivero View Post
    Haha, quite a way to live, I'll tell you that. I am sure it will happen one day.
    And when it does be sure to post the video on Youtube. It could start a new dance craze. That gangnum guy made a fortune, you might never have to work again.
    ---Meltedmetal

Leave a comment:

• Olivero
    replied
    Haha, quite a way to live, I'll tell you that. I am sure it will happen one day.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    <br />

Leave a comment:

• Olivero
    replied
    Originally posted by H80N View Post
    ADVICE: wear cotton underwear next to your skin.... NO polyester....
    Hot slag will melt synthetics to your skin.....
    No kidding? Wow, never had that problem.... One time I was welding brass, sitting with my legs apart at the table, table was maybe 4 inches above my knees, I am welding stainless to brass and the brass does its lovely popping and 2 pieces fly and land right in my crotch, burned 2 holes in my pants but never made it so far that It burned my underwear.... That's gotta be scary.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    ADVICE: wear cotton underwear next to your skin.... NO polyester....
    Hot slag will melt synthetics to your skin.....

Leave a comment:

• Olivero
    replied
    Its okay, don't worry about me and Ryan. He is just upset my helmet is cooler than his......

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Bodaway View Post

aametalmaster - is the tig gun and spool gun that Miller sells with the mm 215 worth the money or are there better options?
    The spool gun for the 215 the spoolmate 100 and spoolmate 150 are the only one that will work with the Multimatic 200 and 215 so you are limited. The TIG torch can be Millers which is nice or any aftermarket 17 torch. Just get a flow thru Dinse for the powercable to hook it to the welder. I had all the correct numbers but left them at my old job. Got it on my phone Miller #273483 for the dinse plug to hook the power cable to the welder...Bob

Leave a comment:

• Bodaway
    replied
    Great information, I will try to respond to most of these. I'm not sure I can help the Olivero and Ryanjones relationship. Sounds like they really dig each other.

A good helmet's top on my list, I have an old fixed shade helmet and a lower end Lincoln helmet, both of these were inherited from my Father in law.

aametalmaster - is the tig gun and spool gun that Miller sells with the mm 215 worth the money or are there better options?

lovetofix - My local welding suppliers tend to be the big boys. I will give them a shot next week, but I get the impression that I'm a little fish in their big pond. I know I have to get gas there, but spending money with them once every six months or so, I doubt I will get any special treatment.

for cutting metal, I do have a couple of angle grinders, a couple of dewalts, I've never cut with them, just used flap wheels. I also have a couple of oxy acetylene torches.

Olivero, I agree, I believe in safety, good advice on the items to get, I will start getting stocked up.

H80N thanks for the link, I will take a look at it in the next day or so.

Leave a comment:

• Olivero
    replied
    That would be awesome!

Imagine a bunch of welders walking around with eachothers faces on them....

That would be hilarious.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I did see those. Maybe you can get one and have my face painted on it. Guaranteed to have the hot chics flocking to you in droves. It'll be crazy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X