Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding pulse to old machine question.

Hello all,

Long time lurker, just signed up finally.

I purchased a Syncrowave 300 about 7yrs ago and have loved it since. After seeing a friend's welds change over night when he got a newer Chinese inverter machine with pulse options, I have been thinking it would be a great feature to have on my ancient box. I tend to use the pedal to vary voltage, but it's no where near the same as a more square or sharp triangular wave looks with the pooling. Not sure if that conveys properly via text, but some of you might catch my drift?

After some research I have seen the various pendants, external boxes, TIG Perfect etc, I think I would like to convert my machine. It is a 1985 models, so it already has the cut outs in the front panel, and even the printing for it - call me nostalgic if you like, but it would be accurate after all. I happen to like my vintage equipment. Heck, my CNC milling machine is a 1981 Kitamura (you have no idea how many people didn't know CNC even existed back then, lol).

Anyways, that brings me to the question. How would I go about getting the internals to convert it? I thought about purchasing a "parts" machine, but that seems wasteful and expensive. Is there any retro-fit kits or the like that would make this an easy swap? Would it be simple to use something like a Miller Pc-300 and retro-fit it inside? I am fairly proficient with electronics, so the installation itself doesn't scare me, it's more about cost vs final product.

On another note, my serial number does not come up on the Miller Manuals/parts page. Is this common for older machines? The serial number is die stamped on the front upper left for the control panel. It starts with "JF" so I know the year, just found it odd the rest of the numbers don't come up. Maybe there's another place inside that it's stamped? I have cleaned it out and looks a bit when open, but haven't found anything obvious.

Thanks,

John
    J.Caraher
    Wide Open Throttle Technologies (WOT-Tech), Pompano Beach FL
    Miller Sync 300,Hobart 190
    RogueFab pneumatic, Hossfeld Manual
    Kitamura CNC, Bridgeport 2j
    TunerPRO, HPTuners, AEM, Megasquirt, DynoJet
    NASA Racing Official/Driver

YouTube Link, Instagram Link, FaceBook Link

Have you called Miller tech support and posed the question to them? They have a guy there that is their "old machine" guru, he has been invaluable to me in getting my old Helga up and running. Give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Forced_Firebird View Post
      Hello all,

Long time lurker, just signed up finally.

I purchased a Syncrowave 300 about 7yrs ago and have loved it since. After seeing a friend's welds change over night when he got a newer Chinese inverter machine with pulse options, I have been thinking it would be a great feature to have on my ancient box. I tend to use the pedal to vary voltage, but it's no where near the same as a more square or sharp triangular wave looks with the pooling. Not sure if that conveys properly via text, but some of you might catch my drift?

After some research I have seen the various pendants, external boxes, TIG Perfect etc, I think I would like to convert my machine. It is a 1985 models, so it already has the cut outs in the front panel, and even the printing for it - call me nostalgic if you like, but it would be accurate after all. I happen to like my vintage equipment. Heck, my CNC milling machine is a 1981 Kitamura (you have no idea how many people didn't know CNC even existed back then, lol).

Anyways, that brings me to the question. How would I go about getting the internals to convert it? I thought about purchasing a "parts" machine, but that seems wasteful and expensive. Is there any retro-fit kits or the like that would make this an easy swap? Would it be simple to use something like a Miller Pc-300 and retro-fit it inside? I am fairly proficient with electronics, so the installation itself doesn't scare me, it's more about cost vs final product.

On another note, my serial number does not come up on the Miller Manuals/parts page. Is this common for older machines? The serial number is die stamped on the front upper left for the control panel. It starts with "JF" so I know the year, just found it odd the rest of the numbers don't come up. Maybe there's another place inside that it's stamped? I have cleaned it out and looks a bit when open, but haven't found anything obvious.

Thanks,

John
      Easiest and cheapest is to learn how to use your Pedal for Pulse

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...edal+for+Pulse

PLS post whole serial..... bet we find the manual...............

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

...you beat me this time, H80N! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
          ...you beat me this time, H80N! :-)
          Age beats beauty......... this time...............

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 200

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
            Have you called Miller tech support and posed the question to them? They have a guy there that is their "old machine" guru, he has been invaluable to me in getting my old Helga up and running. Give it a try.
            Thanks.I have not with the thoughts that not many people care for these old rigs.

Originally posted by H80N View Post

Easiest and cheapest is to learn how to use your Pedal for Pulse

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...edal+for+Pulse

PLS post whole serial..... bet we find the manual...............
            Ahem ...

I tend to use the pedal to vary voltage, but it's no where near the same as a more square or sharp triangular wave looks with the pooling. Not sure if that conveys properly via text, but some of you might catch my drift?
            Serial is JF888229

I know a square pulse would be purely aesthetic over pumping the pedal, but I work in the automotive industry and appearance means a lot to some.
            J.Caraher

Comment

Thanks.I have not with the thoughts that not many people care for these old rigs.

Ahem ...

Serial is JF888229

I know a square pulse would be purely aesthetic over pumping the pedal, but I work in the automotive industry and appearance means a lot to some.
              Try this manual .... serial# JD705687 through JF955185

https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow.../O350M_MIL.pdf
              Last edited by H80N; 12-19-2016, 10:24 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 200

Comment

Thanks H80N. That I downloaded/printed that when I bought the welder in 2009. Was more curious why my particular serial number came up as "invalid". Wasn't sure if the search was only for newer models.

Does my analogy of "square wave" pulse make sense? You can hear the solenoid in this machine clearly being an on/off, which would be different that pedal pumping. I don't know about you, but my foot only moves so fast...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtWwz9YVqho

J.Caraher

Comment

Thanks H80N. That I downloaded/printed that when I bought the welder in 2009. Was more curious why my particular serial number came up as "invalid". Wasn't sure if the search was only for newer models.

Does my analogy of "square wave" pulse make sense? You can hear the solenoid in this machine clearly being an on/off, which would be different that pedal pumping. I don't know about you, but my foot only moves so fast...

This will NOT work with a Chopper machine like your SYNC 300.... only on the Miller Diversion inverters

http://www.jattus.com/cartview.php?id=16

The ad is misleading..... you have a Square Wave machine....the box will NOT change that...

it will change the amperage profile only.... NOT the wave shape
                  Last edited by H80N; 12-19-2016, 10:46 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
                  Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 200

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post

This will NOT work with a Chopper machine like your SYNC 300.... only on the Miller Diversion inverters

http://www.jattus.com/cartview.php?id=16

The ad is misleading..... you have a Square Wave machine....the box will NOT change that...

it will change the amperage profile only.... NOT the wave shape
                    Not looking to change the square wave aspect, but have an "square wave pedal pattern" on the output in DC. As if the pedal was instantly on/off, or instant on, taper off etc. Maybe I am confused on how the sync 300 pulse features work?

They say in the ad that that box will work on a transformer machine (with their wiring kit), but I was more looking towards adding more to my old rig, internally. If you go to the link you posted (but didn't show in the actual post), and look at the drop down menu (next to "welder"), you will see it they list sync - but still not my cup of tea. I want to convert my machine with vintage electronics.

Right from the page:

Universal Applications:
                    • With some simple wiring, you can retrofit the TIG Perfect into other welders as well - such as the Miller Syncrowave for example. This usually just involves splicing two wires and thats it.
                    • "Universal" welder selection includes an additional RJ45 cable to aid in installation.
                    • The TIG Perfect can drive a 0-10 volt signal, up to 1 amp of current (most welders typically only need less than 0.1 amp for the signal). You can test the signal range and current draw on your welder using a volt meter.
                    J.Caraher

Comment

Correct-I don't think I've ever gotten a hit on a ser no search on an old machine, but if you look by name you can usually find the right ser no range. If not, call Miller--they have additional manuals that don't show up on the web page , and will email them to you.

Comment

Thanks Aeronca41. I was under that impression when the drop down box to the right of the Miller page said "Have an Older Model or Don't Know Your Serial Number?"

Ok H80N, to describe better what I am after. If I were to put my O-Scope leads on the ground and tungsten of the machine and pulse the pedal in DC, the output would look like this "~~~~~~~". What I would like to see is "l_l¯l_l¯l" or "l\l\l" or "l/l/l/" with ~1/2sec waves. This thoroughly impressed me on that Chinese green box my friend purchased.
                        J.Caraher

Comment

I would call Miller TIG Tech Support.... good people....

920-735-4356 or 1-800-4-A-Miller (1-800-426-4553).

see if the factory parts are still available

My Blue Stuff:
                          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                          Dynasty 200DX
                          Millermatic 200

Comment

Thanks Aeronca41. I was under that impression when the drop down box to the right of the Miller page said "Have an Older Model or Don't Know Your Serial Number?"

Ok H80N, to describe better what I am after. If I were to put my O-Scope leads on the ground and tungsten of the machine and pulse the pedal in DC, the output would look like this "~~~~~~~". What I would like to see is "l_l¯l_l¯l" or "l\l\l" or "l/l/l/" with ~1/2sec waves. This thoroughly impressed me on that Chinese green box my friend purchased.
                            Buy a Dynasty... you WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED

I love mine

The only waveforms your Sync will ever produce are SQUARE
                            Last edited by H80N; 12-19-2016, 11:24 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
                            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                            Dynasty 200DX
                            Millermatic 200

Comment

So it's best to go inverter then.

Not the answer I was looking for lol.

They just seem so....fragile. I like the fact that I can just run the pure tungsten on everything, too.

Thanks all for the insight

As I said, I like my vintage equipment...

Last edited by Forced_Firebird; 12-19-2016, 11:30 AM.
                              J.Caraher

Comment

Working...
                              X