No announcement yet.

Which was do you choose to cut metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tend to do a lot of .120" and thicker on structural stuff and/or a lot of .065" tubing at a time for automotive stuff, not a whole lot between. This thing is light years better than an abrasive for me. I need to make lots of cuts, one or two at a time, not repetitive.

I can't disagree on a band saw being a good choice, though. Guess it's a toss up depending the type of work planned.
    J.Caraher
    Wide Open Throttle Technologies (WOT-Tech), Pompano Beach FL
    Miller Sync 300,Hobart 190
    RogueFab pneumatic, Hossfeld Manual
    Kitamura CNC, Bridgeport 2j
    TunerPRO, HPTuners, AEM, Megasquirt, DynoJet
    NASA Racing Official/Driver

YouTube Link, Instagram Link, FaceBook Link

Comment

Originally posted by SLP82 View Post
      it doesn't take me 2.5 mins per cut. I would say it's under one minute but I've honestly never timed it.
      I agree. If it's taking 2.5 minutes to make a cut on a chop saw, you're already trying to cut over the capacity of the saw, that or you are babying it too much. You're not supposed to force the cut, but you do need to apply adequate pressure so it doesn't just build up heat and create burrs. A 3"x3", 1/4" thick angle iron should take about 45 seconds...on a cheap chop saw. A good one with a lot of torque should zip through it in less than 30 seconds.
      HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
      HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
      HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
      HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
      HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
      HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Originally posted by OscarJr View Post

I agree. If it's taking 2.5 minutes to make a cut on a chop saw, you're already trying to cut over the capacity of the saw, that or you are babying it too much. You're not supposed to force the cut, but you do need to apply adequate pressure so it doesn't just build up heat and create burrs. A 3"x3", 1/4" thick angle iron should take about 45 seconds...on a cheap chop saw. A good one with a lot of torque should zip through it in less than 30 seconds.
        I was just putting in numbers. It doesn't take .5 min for the cold saw, either.

Here's someone who posted a race abrasive vs cold. In my example it was a 1:5 ratio, this shows it's more like a 1:4 *shrug*...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kog4J6KL-tM

Last edited by Forced_Firebird; 12-21-2016, 10:31 AM.
        J.Caraher

Comment

I would venture to say it is even less. Look at the video closely. Does that abrasive blade look anywhere near 14"? Granted this kind of comparison has it's merit, but we all know an abrasive blade is most effective at or close to it's intended diameter because circumferential linear speed at the edge is greatest when the blade is new or close to new. I'd saw that blade is ~12" in diameter, not 14".

HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
          HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
          HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
          HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Let me try that pic again:

Don't get me wrong, cold cut saws are awesome, and abrasive saws do have their limitations. A good comparison should be a cold cut saw with 500+ cuts on the blade vs a used abrasive saw blade, such as the one in the video linked.
            Last edited by OscarJr; 12-21-2016, 11:32 AM.
            HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
            HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
            HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
            HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Do you have both Oscar? It's a night and day difference. I wish I would have bought one long ago, personally.

Here's a guy doing the same with a blade that looks more full. And while, yes, the blade may have had some wear, but you know as well as I, the only time the blade on an abrasive is full diameter, is on the first cut - the carbide will stay full size until dull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYATVjKjipk

EDIT: They say the blades last a 10:1 ratio or so. So the point on price of the blades is moot.

Perhaps it's not for everyone, but a huge factor to me is the burrs left, and the heat. I need to cut, fit, cut often on the same part. I can touch a cold saw cut bare handed immediately after it drops off.
              Last edited by Forced_Firebird; 12-21-2016, 11:58 AM.
              J.Caraher

Comment

I've used both, but as of this minute I only own a chop saw. Yes with a brand new carbide blade, it's a night and day difference.
                HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

I tried my angle grinder with a carbide blade, one of those Lenox ones, Igot one for free as a sample and cutting anything but pipe with it was just not working out, the blade kept slapping the steel as the blade had grooves in it, absolutely horrible. Cutting mesh and light wall tubing was fine but otherwise it sucked. Used abrasive blades again after that.

I thought about getting one of their 14" blades for my chop saw though, I have a wood dewalt one which I think might just survive a carbide blade as there won't be much dust to eat the motor.
                  if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

I would never try a carbide blade for metal in a wood saw. The motor is just too fast. Some models of DeWalt wood saws have a belt and pulley, changing pulley sizes, perhaps, but don't think it's a good idea just to mount a carbide blade in there.

I turned a Jet 14" vertical band saw into a metal cutting saw using the pulley method. About the only thing I can't cut is 316, the blade is just too fast, even with my slowest pulley. I have been thinking about adding a third pulley to have more options, but with the new cold saw, that thought has been fading. The band saw is generally used to cut flat stock into various shapes for roll cage pads - works excellent for that.
                    J.Caraher

Comment

Well thanks for the input...... I guess I won't do that.
                      if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

...and as of THIS minute, I now have both.

HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                        HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                        HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                        HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Originally posted by OscarJr View Post
                          ...and as of THIS minute, I now have both.
                          Time for a race! :P

The deal was so awesome on Cyber Monday, I couldn't pass it up. $150 free shipping, it's "almost" like buying a blade and getting a free saw lol.

My abrasive has been parked for some time. Only time I was using it was to make true merge collectors and that JUST now gave me an idea on modifying the jig I made to work on the Evo!

Also have my eye on the Rage 3. Almost got it in place of the Rage 2 since the 3 was only $50 more, but couldn't justify buying both at the same time and I do a lot of 3"+ tubing, so went with the larger capacity.
                          J.Caraher

Comment

Originally posted by Olivero View Post
                            I tried my angle grinder with a carbide blade, one of those Lenox ones...

I thought about getting one of their 14" blades for my chop saw though....
                            Carbide, or diamond? http://www.lenoxtools.com/Pages/leno...irFRoC4mPw_wcB

I was trying to picture a carbide blade because just the thought of it scared the **** out of me. The diamond looks intriguing. I might give that a try next time I need to buy blades. I've still got dozens ready to burn up though.

And yeah, don't just change blades into a saw that wasn't designed for them. RPM's are a big part of the design.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post

Carbide, or diamond? http://www.lenoxtools.com/Pages/leno...irFRoC4mPw_wcB

I was trying to picture a carbide blade because just the thought of it scared the **** out of me. The diamond looks intriguing. I might give that a try next time I need to buy blades. I've still got dozens ready to burn up though.

And yeah, don't just change blades into a saw that wasn't designed for them. RPM's are a big part of the design.
                              I just recently read that the Lenox Diamond blades are no bueno. Sure they will cut, but they produce dust like like an abrasive blade. Of course the dust isn't the aluminum oxide the blade is made of, just steel dust, but still. If you look at the picture in that link, you can even see the burr-o-rama going on in that cut. Diamonds are still abrasive, they just don't wear out like aluminum-oxide/ceramic abrasive, so that's why you still get burrs galore.

Originally posted by Forced_Firebird View Post

Time for a race! :P
                              Oh I'm sure the Evo will cut way faster. But I betcha I can make the abrasive give it a good run, even if I do burn the motor up!
                              Last edited by OscarJr; 12-21-2016, 08:25 PM.
                              HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                              HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                              HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                              HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

I have an Evolution Rage2 14" cold saw with the carbide blade.........actually bought some 15" blades for it for a little extra cutting range.........had it now for over a year.........probably 200 cuts in various materials still on the original blade.........very accurate , and will do compound cuts on tubing if you have a way to elevate one side...........blade life is all about feed pressure, take your time it will cut..............Noisy and the chips are like little knives so if you don't want them stuck to your shoes , you need to sweep up often. I like it!

Comment

Working...
                                X