Which was do you choose to cut metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which was do you choose to cut metal?

So I am new to metal fabrication, but I am starting my own side company after graduating from welding school and having worked at a fabrication shop welding for the last 6 months. I have already purchased pretty much everything I need to start fabricating but I am completely stuck at which saw to purchase. I will be cutting any and everything. Some will be mild steel (square tubing, angle iron, etc). Some will be pipe up to 1/4" thick. Some will be rebar and possibly some hardened steel.

So in all my research it seems like most people prefer a carbide steel blade (cold cut) for a saw, but the downsides seem to be that if you have to cut rebar or something fairly hard, you run the risk of breaking teeth off a $100+ blade, or at least dulling it very quickly. So then there is a chop saw with a abrasive blade, but everyone says it makes a **** of a mess and breathing that crap in is obviously not good for your health in the long run. By the way, we use abrasive chop saws at work but its in a shop that stays messy, this will be in my garage where I prefer not to cover everything in black dust. Then my most recent research brought me to benchtop band saws... yes they are a little pricey but I want to get something that can cut through almost any metal (up to 1/4") and not have to worry about it breaking a blade. I have a hard time finding much info on band saws so I figured I would ask here. Can the bench-top band-saw with a bi-metal blade cut through stuff that a carbide metal saw blade can't?

I appreciate any help as this is the last piece of the puzzle I need to start doing side jobs. Thank you!

You are not going to get away with just one saw. I have a band saw and a chop saw for the tougher metals. Band saw gets used 99% of the time but the chop is there if I need it...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

I have a 7x12 Northern Tool Klutch bandsaw with coolant and have cut Grade 5 Titanium, so yes it is very versatile if you use it correctly.

But then again, I have loads of cutting tools That all get used---3" & 4" air cut off tools, angle grinders with cut off blades, abrasive chop saw, plasma cutter, Oct-acet setup. Everything has its place. In fact, I need to buy a carbide metal cutting saw, probably an evolution rage3.
      HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
      HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
      HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
      HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
      HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
      HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

sawblade.com has a lot of resources and information about bandsaws, how to break in the blades, etc. I can't speak for the saws they sell, but they're blades are USA made. I don't think their prices are out of line for what you're looking for. Plus, if you have trouble with it, there is someone to call for advice or assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by SLP82 View Post
          ... I will be cutting any and everything. Some will be mild steel (square tubing, angle iron, etc). Some will be pipe up to 1/4" thick. Some will be rebar and possibly some hardened steel...
          Congratulations; you've just narrowed it down to a chop saw.

Once your budget allows, you can get a band saw or carbide saw next, etc, etc. But the chop saw will be the one that can do all of that right away.

I think one of my most used tools after the chop saw is a handheld carbide saw. It's often far handier to take the saw to the workpiece when it's a quick non-precision cut.

Eventually, you will have almost as many saws as you do grinders with different wheels.

But get the chop saw first.

Comment

Ok, I already have a grinder, with cut off wheels, and I have a torch. So I do have some other ways to cut stuff, but for building some nice stuff (like a/c cages), I need to have something that will cut tubing straight and flush, over and over. I am really leaning towards that Klutch Band saw, or even a WEN band saw, but I too think the chop saw is the only one that really can do "everything". I just know it is going to make a mess in the garage. Guess a chop saw followed by a band saw is my only choice. Thanks.

Do you guys wear dust masks while using a chop saw?

Comment

You could always watch Craigslist for a power hack saw. Most of them go cheap because people have discovered horizontal band saws are faster. But if your not in a big rush they work fine.
              ---Meltedmetal

Comment

Those power hack saws are interesting... I have never seen one before. I just looked them up on ebay though and everyone is putting "vintage" before the name so I think you know what that means... I didn't see a single one under $500... some that looked beat to crap but were old were going for $3,000!!! Seems like the blade would wear out fast compared to a band saw. So I have three related questions now:

1. Do you guys wear a dust mask when using a chop saw?

2. Seems the two best chops saws are a toss up between Makita and Dewalt, which would you recommend?

3. Is there a specific abrasive wheel that lasts longer than other or will one of these "general purpose" $9 dewalt blades work fine?
                Last edited by SLP82; 12-18-2016, 10:28 AM.

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1724452...000&rmvSB=true
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-Po...3D172445248000

They are out there. If there are any old shops around you they may have something laying around. I have 3 in various states of being a project. Like any cutting equipment the blades last pretty good if you look after them. Add you location and maybe someone can help you out with something local to you.
                  ---Meltedmetal

Comment

I've had to go to my chop saw to make cuts because of bolts or other obstacles welded on a work piece that kept my bandsaw's vise from holding the work piece sufficiently tight. Bandsaw blades can get ruined in a heart beat too if you don't get the proper purchase on a workpiece your wanting to cut.
                    Last edited by tackit; 12-18-2016, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Or build one-
                      http://www.ebay.com/itm/Make-Build-P...QAAOSwWTRWuBUN
                      ---Meltedmetal

Comment

https://hartford.craigslist.org/tls/5895969690.html
                        There is one for $100.
                        Use Searchtempest.com
                        Search for the type of saw you want in your area & be patient.
                        ---Meltedmetal

Comment

I have a power hack saw. Forgot I had it It will cut all day on like 6" solid round bar...Bob
                          Bob Wright

Comment

I am located in Houston, Tx. Tried to put it in my profile but it wouldn't allow me to save the changes... something about cant change custom field. Anyways, is a power hack saw more forgiving than a bandsaw blade? Seems like it would be...

Comment

Originally posted by SLP82 View Post
                              I am located in Houston, Tx. Tried to put it in my profile but it wouldn't allow me to save the changes... something about cant change custom field. Anyways, is a power hack saw more forgiving than a bandsaw blade? Seems like it would be...
                              Yes, I tried to change my profile - It said " Can't Change Custom Field " .
                              This site is Not like it used to be - I wish they would Not make change for the sake of making changes !

Norm
                              www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X