Weldcote 70S-6 Wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weldcote 70S-6 Wire

Anyone ever use this stuff? One of the local LWS has 10# rolls of .030 marked way down (maybe a clue?) Is it even worth it at $18 a roll?

Originally posted by Lostone View Post
    Anyone ever use this stuff? One of the local LWS has 10# rolls of .030 marked way down (maybe a clue?) Is it even worth it at $18 a roll?
    FWIW.... Weldcote MIG wire is Chinese....

Here is a thread on it.......................

Does NOT sound encouraging ................

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...28a41f92d610ec

Last edited by H80N; 12-14-2016, 04:17 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Thanks once again for the heads up. Guess I'll pass on it, it's just very tempting when it's cost less then $2 a pound.

As a side note someone in that link as talking about some Radnor wire they had gotten. About 2 years ago I got a 33# flux core roll of that stuff from AirGas to do a rebuild on a tub grinder that had to be done in the field. It was by far the worse wire I have ever used. I think we used it about half a day before I got so pissed that I took it out the machine and rolled it down the hill into the woods were it is still probably sitting today.

Comment

I'm fairly sure that radnor is the house brand of airgas and it's pretty much all China made stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
          I'm fairly sure that radnor is the house brand of airgas and it's pretty much all China made stuff.

It was bad. At first I thought the grinder tub had somehow got magnetize.

I know if you walk into my local AirGas they rave about it and stock boat loads of the solid wire so it must sell. Maybe I just got a bad batch roll or just the flux cored stuff has issues.

Comment

I don't have much faith in the consistency of quality with stuff like that. I find what works, every time, and suck it up cost wise. <br />
            <br />
            I have this imagine in my head about you spouting off some expletives while giving the roll the heave-ho out of the belly of that tub grinder. I'd be pretty pissed too. <br />
            <br />
            I have found, when compared to all the LWSs near me, the guys at my local airgas know as much about welding anything as I do about nuclear physics. Last time I was in there the guy behind the counter informed me that the animal I was asking for did not exist...I was looking to purchase another #17 tig torch.

Comment

Ryan, I agree with you on the consistency of quality issue. I just recently finished an 11 lb roll of Airgas Radnor .035 ER70S6 in the MM200. There's Hobart in there now. Most of it ran fine, but there was a section of it about 2/3 through the roll that gave funky porous welds. Thought the old MM200 might be finally needing some serious TLC. Checked gas, feed, gun,etc and all was well. Ripped out and trashed about 25' or so, tried again and all was well for the rest of the roll. Won't be buying any more.

Comment

Weldcote wire welds pretty good for being made in China. Something to understand is that it still meets AWS standards. Weldcote is an American company that provides a good product. I'm not saying its better than Hobart, Lincoln , or Esab wire. But its the best for tight wallets.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
                  Ryan, I agree with you on the consistency of quality issue. I just recently finished an 11 lb roll of Airgas Radnor .035 ER70S6 in the MM200. There's Hobart in there now. Most of it ran fine, but there was a section of it about 2/3 through the roll that gave funky porous welds. Thought the old MM200 might be finally needing some serious TLC. Checked gas, feed, gun,etc and all was well. Ripped out and trashed about 25' or so, tried again and all was well for the rest of the roll. Won't be buying any more.
                  +1...........................

Life is TOO Short to...."Buy Cheap & Weep"............
                  Last edited by H80N; 12-16-2016, 10:38 AM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                  Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 200

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post

+1...........................

Life is TOO Short to...."Buy Cheap &amp; Weep"............
                    Yep. I can deal with things that don't work-you can usually fix them. I despise things that "usually" work. Reminds me of a picture I had on my office wall prior to retirement. Hope the text isn't too small to read.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	lesters-ammo.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	575888
                      Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post

Yep. I can deal with things that don't work-you can usually fix them. I despise things that "usually" work. Reminds me of a picture I had on my office wall prior to retirement. Hope the text isn't too small to read.
                      Better...??
                      Last edited by H80N; 12-16-2016, 11:59 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
                      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Millermatic 200

Comment

Way better! I just love that picture and thought. Applies well so any places.

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]n575888[/ATTACH]

Better...??
                          thanks for my new screen background at work.

Comment

Working...
                          X