welding on a motor cycle frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welding on a motor cycle frame

So I know diddly squat about motorcycles other than they have fewer wheels than drag cars and when people wreck them they generally get hurt pretty bad.

A friend of mine just got another dirt bike to fix up and started stripping it down for rebuild. He found a hole punch into a spot on the frame where a precious rider had laid it down on a rock or something. The hole is big enough to stick your finger in but has no other damage. He asked if I can fill in that hole and smooth it out nicely, then send it off for powder coating.

The question....any problem welding on a motorcycle frame? It's not some sort of exotic alloy steel or anything like that?

Gracias boys.

PICS of the damaged area...??

brand/model/year of scooter ???

ferrous or aluminum...??

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

You are PROBABLY okay, but it should come as no surprise that we really need a lot more information.

Comment

Ya, figured. When it gets delivered at my shop for repair I'll update. About all I know about it at this point is that is a dirt bike frame and it has a hole in it.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
          Ya, figured. When it gets delivered at my shop for repair I'll update. About all I know about it at this point is that is a dirt bike frame and it has a hole in it.
          look real close for cracks....&... don't be surprised if you find a bunch

UV Dye Check like Zyglo for cracks.. would be nice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cl2ULh0_ss

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...etrant+testing

Last edited by H80N; 12-13-2016, 02:10 PM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 200

Comment

Excellent suggestion. I'll plan on doing that.

Comment

DirtBikes..... get double hammered..... like combat duty with the devil lighting up their Azz..and gaining..........

most are overbuilt.... ...................but..........

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 200

Comment

A crappy picture I'm sure, but it's just above where the foot rest is on the right side of the frame. Looks like some rust there, so it's probably steel.
                Attached Files

Comment

It's very possible that a drain hole it's hard to tell from the picture. Even more so if it's down by the foot peg which would be the lowest part of the frame

Comment

A crappy picture I'm sure, but it's just above where the foot rest is on the right side of the frame. Looks like some rust there, so it's probably steel.
                    does not look too bad...... some flavor of steel.... probably high strength like Docol R8

.... not much rust in TX

better shape than I expected...........

TIG it............ ER80-S2.................. .... or 2nd choice ER70-S2..

.. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_34420.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	575716
                    Last edited by H80N; 12-13-2016, 03:17 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 200

Comment

The foot rest would be directly below this about 8 inches I guess. It's on the vertical part and facing forward. <br />
                      <br />
                      I have some er80sd2 that I use on chromoly roll cage jobs, that should handle it!

Comment

The foot rest would be directly below this about 8 inches I guess. It's on the vertical part and facing forward. <br />
                        <br />
                        I have some er80sd2 that I use on chromoly roll cage jobs, that should handle it!
                        That's the stuff.................

My Blue Stuff:
                        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        Millermatic 200

Comment

How did that work out...??...................

My Blue Stuff:
                          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                          Dynasty 200DX
                          Millermatic 200

Comment

Just arrived earlier today. The hole is actually smaller than it looks, so it shouldn't be a problem. There is a fairly nice dent on the bottom side, about the size of your thumb and maybe 4 or 5mm deep. Customer asked me if I could fill it in and grind it flat for cosmetic purposes. I'm thinking about maybe building it up with silicon bronze. What say you?

Comment

Sounds easy enough for solid-wire GMAW. But I'm also not experienced with Si-bronze to ponder why it might be better.

Comment

Working...
                              X