X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandyg
    replied
    Originally posted by Lostone View Post

set the machine got .030 wire and see what happens.

Also I thought that these didn't have liners from the factory for .024 wire?
    Yep, after reading the Manual it don't really mention much about it, but it does show the part number for the liner. I'm going to get on the next time I get an order out to IOC. It does feed OK with the standard .030-.035 sleeve, likely because it a nice short gun, but who knows.

Went through the manual again and it's a pretty simple machine, no frills in settings. What sorta' pisses me off is the Marketing Speak - "
    ...featuring Auto-Set™ Elite." Well it's sorta' an automated chart that is has wrong settings for the smaller wire . It's a bit better then that but not much. If it has a way to SAVE your settings or adjust the defaults that would be a nice step. Like you said the nice no frills digital displays would be fine for a lower price... But then wouldn't be as high tech (LOOKING)

I do really like the multi voltage and the dual gas ports, nice size too. Going to be a good machine, just venting a bit.

Sandy

Leave a comment:

• Lostone
    replied
    Originally posted by Sandyg View Post
    One thing I really like is the ingenious cord and voltage selection based on the plug.

I think in the long run what I'm going to feel like is I have a nice machine with a fancy digital display for volts and feed (mig).

Sandy
    I wish the would of made the plugs 90° plugs. That's a lot of weight sticking straight out from a 110 outlet. They're not the only manufacturer that makes them straight like that. It's a poor design, but that's just my 2¢

I too too wish they would of made a dummy version of it that just had LCD display for voltage and wire speed and a dial to select what process. I use a 252 at work almost daily and I I'm rather fond of the no nonsense display.

Neverless I've been happy with it, I would of been happier if I would of had the option to save $100 and have a display like the 252.
    Last edited by Lostone; 12-14-2016, 08:03 PM. Reason: because I can't spell

Leave a comment:

• Sandyg
    replied
    Nice, Seems like a good machine with the v1.0 issues. I am waiting for a Tig Torch to give that a try on steel to see how that works. Great looking machine and will be interesting to see how others find it.

So far my issues is that it's not really all that smart, just a fancy display on a nice multi-purpose machine and will run on 120V for thin stuff. In some sense I should have just got one of the smaller Millermatic's as I have a nice Tig and larger Mig machine but the allure of fancy technology got me. One thing I really like is the ingenious cord and voltage selection based on the plug.

I think in the long run what I'm going to feel like is I have a nice machine with a fancy digital display for volts and feed (mig).

Sandy

Leave a comment:

• nfinch86
    replied
    I'm on my way right now , to pick up my new MM 215.
    I can't wait to try it out.

It's a round trip of 1.5 hrs. to my LWS. , so I'll talk later.

Norm

Leave a comment:

• Lostone
    replied
    Also I read the manual cover to cover. Nothing in there about adjusting the auto set defaults. Maybe Miller tech support can help.

Leave a comment:

• Lostone
    replied
    So I pulled out the manual to see if it's adjustable. In it is shows how they come up with there auto set guild lines.

You convert thickness to amperage (0.001 in = 1 amp)
    then for .023 wire they say 3.5 inches per amp.

So so if you have 16 Ga sheet...
    .060 inches = 60 amps
    60 amps x 3.5" per min = 210 inches per min.

Thats not even close to what they have in there charts. It would be for 12ga using their recommendations (.094 thick)
    Last edited by Lostone; 12-13-2016, 07:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sandyg
    replied
    Lostone -

That's at least some good news, I would be really pissed off if the most common wire settings are off. Not super happy that the 0.023 is off. I have to dig into the manual a bit. My initial inspection showed no way to save settings or update firmware like on some other machines. Seems like would be a good idea if it doesn't have it... Lazy and taking shortcuts... Never, well always but that what the machine is supposed to help with

Leave a comment:

• Lostone
    replied
    I don't think you can change the default settings.
    I can tell you mine runs .030 and .035 without adjustment. Only time I have to fiddle with it is if I'm filling gaps or want to do something that I shouldn't be doing anyway because I'm lazy and taking shortcuts.

Leave a comment:

• Sandyg
    replied
    That's my guess, but didn't want to holler before I got some feedback. I really want to try the .035 as that would be a bad thing of that common of a setting was off. Again, may not be a big deal if you can update the settings on the display to default to a user preference, but I have yet to check the manual to see if the software will do that.

It may be the plight of having purchased a new machine...

Sandy

Leave a comment:

• Lostone
    replied
    I just went and look at my chart on our 252 and it doesn't have a recommendation for 16ga for some reason but for .024 wire it says 17/190 for 18ga and 18/240 for 14ga.

Seems miller messed up on this one. Call them and see if they know about it already.

Leave a comment:

• Sandyg
    replied
    Hmm, don't know about the liner size limits, but seems to feed fine when I set it up. I'll have to crack the manual and see, but I suspect it's all good. I'll see what the settings are for 0.030, but if the 0.023 wire is right then machine is wrong as is the chart.

Leave a comment:

• Lostone
    replied
    Originally posted by Sandyg View Post

Yep, what you see on the picture is the display as recommended by the wire size and metal gauge. Running 0.023 wire and contact tip. I'll double check just to be sure.
    set the machine got .030 wire and see what happens.

Also I thought that these didn't have liners from the factory for .024 wire?

Leave a comment:

• Sandyg
    replied
    Originally posted by Lostone View Post
    Are you sure this it's .024 wire? Reason I ask is what you say you have to set it on would be almost spot on for .030 wire.
    Yep, what you see on the picture is the display as recommended by the wire size and metal gauge. Running 0.023 wire and contact tip. I'll double check just to be sure.

Leave a comment:

• Lostone
    replied
    I just checked. If I set mine for 16ga with .030 wire it auto sets to 15.7 volt and 226 IPM. That's pretty close to what you're having to manually set the machine on

Leave a comment:

• Lostone
    replied
    Are you sure this it's .024 wire? Reason I ask is what you say you have to set it on would be almost spot on for .030 wire.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X