New, got NEMA 6-50R in garage this weekend Now What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OscarJr
    replied
    HTP Invertig 221

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    What tig machine do you have?

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post

Spot timer , on Tig welding ?
    Is that on the MM 211 ?

Norm
    No, the Millermatic 211 is strictly a MIG (and flux core of course) welder. I used my TIG welder.

Leave a comment:

• nfinch86
    replied
    Originally posted by OscarJr View Post

Yes, I did that with my TIG, but I used the spot timer. Can be done without it, but using it made it much easier.
    Spot timer , on Tig welding ?
    Is that on the MM 211 ?

Norm

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    Originally posted by Johnnyappleseed View Post

Thanks for the post, impressive!

If I can pull that kind of weld off with my Multimatic 215 using TIG then I will be very happy you did say that was TIG right.

Will be upgrading rig with TIG touch as I get the money, have some other accessories I am saving up for right now.
    Yes, I did that with my TIG, but I used the spot timer. Can be done without it, but using it made it much easier.

Leave a comment:

• Lostone
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    Does the 215 have HF start?
    No it's lift start.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Does the 215 have HF start?

Leave a comment:

• Johnnyappleseed
    replied
    Originally posted by OscarJr View Post
    Yep, I just welded together the washer, spring, and nylock nut from my Millermatic 211. I hated changing out rolls and having it all go all over the place.
    Thanks for the post, impressive!

If I can pull that kind of weld off with my Multimatic 215 using TIG then I will be very happy you did say that was TIG right.

Will be upgrading rig with TIG touch as I get the money, have some other accessories I am saving up for right now.

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied

not yet, hope to soon. any recommendations? Does the tig kit have to be Miller, although t that is what I plan on getting just wondering?
    Not necessarily. However, you do have to acquire a gas-thru DINSE connector in the appropriate size. If you want to use a footpedal, then you'd have to use the Miller pedal, since it has that funky ethernet cable connector that goes into the machine.

Originally posted by H80N View Post
    TIG is just so incredibly versatile.........

It allows you to tackle jobs with surgical precision...... that would be impossible with any other process......
    Yep, I just welded together the washer, spring, and nylock nut from my Millermatic 211. I hated changing out rolls and having it all go all over the place.

45A for the washer-to-spring weld
    50A for the spring-to-nylock weld.
    Tungsten: 1.5%La 0.040", 3x diameter taper,
    Spot timer: 0.5sec. Arc-length: 2 angstroms.

Now I just have to weld on some tabs so I can tighten it by hand and not have to go looking for a 1/2" socket/driver.

Leave a comment:

• Johnnyappleseed
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    Did you get the tig set up for it too?
    not yet, hope to soon. any recommendations? Does the tig kit have to be Miller, although t that is what I plan on getting just wondering?

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Did you get the tig set up for it too?

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied

Well thanks everyone it came down to money and the best and most versatile I could afford was the Multimatic 215. Yes I know it has limitations but I figured if I out grow it I could probably sell it for a good price or probably just keep because of the portability.

I look forward to getting your opinions and advise on other questions I will surely have.

Johnny

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n576735[/ATTACH]
    Good For You................... !!!!

PLS keep us posted.............. and Enjoy...........

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Congrats! Hope it works out well for you.

Leave a comment:

• Johnnyappleseed
    replied
    OK, I'm new got my NEMA 6-50R pulled into the garage ....

I am retiring and wanted to play around with some welding open for advise on welders, projects,

and suggestions on other equipment like helmet, gloves, cart, etc.

Well thanks everyone it came down to money and the best and most versatile I could afford was the Multimatic 215. Yes I know it has limitations but I figured if I out grow it I could probably sell it for a good price or probably just keep because of the portability.

I look forward to getting your opinions and advise on other questions I will surely have.

Johnny

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-01-01_9-09-31.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	576735
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Johnnyappleseed; 01-01-2017, 07:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Originally posted by Lostone View Post
    I still think you guys are thinking like your making a living doing it and not like the DIY home hobbyist wanting to get into welding like the OP originally stated at the start of this.

To be honest, 75% of my aluminum welding involves doing dump truck bed repairs and over the road trailers. I can tell you that if I had to TIG those I'd lose my shirt. Takes to long. I'd really like a push-pull setup but the spoolgun works and does the job so it is really hard to justify the investment right now. Maybe I'll get "lucky" and something will break...

But I digress I guess we all will just have to agree to disagree. Everyone sees thinks differently.

Thanks for the nice words.
    Okay..... If I was wanting to dabble in welding I would more than likely still be a tig guy.
    But I do have a push-pull and I do use it for big stuff, and when there is a lot of long beads etc. (I also own a 30-A BTW)
    If all I had was that though, I would be WAY WAY more limited on what I could fix. Tig IMHO is much more versatile for general aluminum repair. Steel not so much. Stainless I prefer tig also.
    Miller makes so many machine it can drive you crazy sometimes having welder envy and not know what to do.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X