Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New, got NEMA 6-50R in garage this weekend Now What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why can't a switch just want to be a switch anymore? Why does everything have to have a dadgum module? <br />
    <br />
    Headlight switch--$5<br />
    <br />
    Headlight control module--$50<br />
    <br />
    Endless list of four letter words for wet dream having engineers--priceless <br />
    <br />
    I just want stuff to work. Is that too much to ask?

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
      Why can't a switch just want to be a switch anymore? Why does everything have to have a dadgum module? <br />
      <br />
      Headlight switch--$5<br />
      <br />
      Headlight control module--$50<br />
      <br />
      Endless list of four letter words for wet dream having engineers--priceless <br />
      <br />
      I just want stuff to work. Is that too much to ask?
      ...seems to be my question just about every time I go to fix something any more. And apparently, yes, we're asking too much. :-)

I say very often, just because you CAN do something (from a design viewpoint, but it applies almost everywhere), doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post

I would be LOST without the ability to TIG aluminum....

you won't realize how much stuff is made from delicate or intricate aluminum.... that can best be joined/repaired with AC TIG....

Until you are in a position where you are without it..............

And a spoolgun would be like driving a Mack truck in an autocross.....

BTW... the Sync 210 is 120/240 capable
        So true.
        I think one of the biggest mistakes newbies make is thinking they will mig all their aluminum repairs. Good luck with that!
        I can mig anything anyone else can....always could. but once I could tig aluminum well. Lets just say I never wanted to anymore.
        And seriously, don't forget duty cycle. You can definitely outgrow a small duty cycle!!
        Once people know you are an aluminum guy, the traffic never stops.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
        Miller WC-115-A
        Miller Spectrum 300
        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

TIG is just so incredibly versatile.........

It allows you to tackle jobs with surgical precision...... that would be impossible with any other process......

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
          Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

I still think you guys are thinking like your making a living doing it and not like the DIY home hobbyist wanting to get into welding like the OP originally stated at the start of this.

To be honest, 75% of my aluminum welding involves doing dump truck bed repairs and over the road trailers. I can tell you that if I had to TIG those I'd lose my shirt. Takes to long. I'd really like a push-pull setup but the spoolgun works and does the job so it is really hard to justify the investment right now. Maybe I'll get "lucky" and something will break...

But I digress I guess we all will just have to agree to disagree. Everyone sees thinks differently.

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
              Once people know you are an aluminum guy, the traffic never stops.
              As a side note, Fusion King, I checked out your facebook page and you work is freaking phenomenal. I tip my hat to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Lostone View Post

To be honest, 75% of my aluminum welding involves doing dump truck bed repairs and over the road trailers. I can tell you that if I had to TIG those I'd lose my shirt. Takes to long. I'd really like a push-pull setup but the spoolgun works and does the job so it is really hard to justify the investment right now. Maybe I'll get "lucky" and something will break..
                for that sort of heavy large scale work... I agree & have a 25ft Alumapro push-pull and 30A spoolgun for those relatively infrequent occasions..... in my universe
                Last edited by H80N; 12-21-2016, 06:24 PM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 200

Comment

Originally posted by Lostone View Post
                  I still think you guys are thinking like your making a living doing it and not like the DIY home hobbyist wanting to get into welding like the OP originally stated at the start of this.

To be honest, 75% of my aluminum welding involves doing dump truck bed repairs and over the road trailers. I can tell you that if I had to TIG those I'd lose my shirt. Takes to long. I'd really like a push-pull setup but the spoolgun works and does the job so it is really hard to justify the investment right now. Maybe I'll get "lucky" and something will break...

But I digress I guess we all will just have to agree to disagree. Everyone sees thinks differently.

Thanks for the nice words.
                  Okay..... If I was wanting to dabble in welding I would more than likely still be a tig guy.
                  But I do have a push-pull and I do use it for big stuff, and when there is a lot of long beads etc. (I also own a 30-A BTW)
                  If all I had was that though, I would be WAY WAY more limited on what I could fix. Tig IMHO is much more versatile for general aluminum repair. Steel not so much. Stainless I prefer tig also.
                  Miller makes so many machine it can drive you crazy sometimes having welder envy and not know what to do.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                  Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                  MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                  Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                  Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                  Miller WC-115-A
                  Miller Spectrum 300
                  Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                  Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyappleseed View Post
                    OK, I'm new got my NEMA 6-50R pulled into the garage ....

I am retiring and wanted to play around with some welding open for advise on welders, projects,

and suggestions on other equipment like helmet, gloves, cart, etc.

Well thanks everyone it came down to money and the best and most versatile I could afford was the Multimatic 215. Yes I know it has limitations but I figured if I out grow it I could probably sell it for a good price or probably just keep because of the portability.

I look forward to getting your opinions and advise on other questions I will surely have.

Johnny

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-01-01_9-09-31.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	576735
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Johnnyappleseed; 01-01-2017, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Congrats! Hope it works out well for you.

Comment

Well thanks everyone it came down to money and the best and most versatile I could afford was the Multimatic 215. Yes I know it has limitations but I figured if I out grow it I could probably sell it for a good price or probably just keep because of the portability.

I look forward to getting your opinions and advise on other questions I will surely have.

Johnny

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n576735[/ATTACH]
                        Good For You................... !!!!

PLS keep us posted.............. and Enjoy...........

My Blue Stuff:
                        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        Millermatic 200

Comment

Did you get the tig set up for it too?

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                            Did you get the tig set up for it too?
                            not yet, hope to soon. any recommendations? Does the tig kit have to be Miller, although t that is what I plan on getting just wondering?

Comment

not yet, hope to soon. any recommendations? Does the tig kit have to be Miller, although t that is what I plan on getting just wondering?
                              Not necessarily. However, you do have to acquire a gas-thru DINSE connector in the appropriate size. If you want to use a footpedal, then you'd have to use the Miller pedal, since it has that funky ethernet cable connector that goes into the machine.

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                              TIG is just so incredibly versatile.........

It allows you to tackle jobs with surgical precision...... that would be impossible with any other process......
                              Yep, I just welded together the washer, spring, and nylock nut from my Millermatic 211. I hated changing out rolls and having it all go all over the place.

45A for the washer-to-spring weld
                              50A for the spring-to-nylock weld.
                              Tungsten: 1.5%La 0.040", 3x diameter taper,
                              Spot timer: 0.5sec. Arc-length: 2 angstroms.

Now I just have to weld on some tabs so I can tighten it by hand and not have to go looking for a 1/2" socket/driver.
                              HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                              HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                              HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                              HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                              HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
                              HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Originally posted by OscarJr View Post
                                Yep, I just welded together the washer, spring, and nylock nut from my Millermatic 211. I hated changing out rolls and having it all go all over the place.
                                Thanks for the post, impressive!

If I can pull that kind of weld off with my Multimatic 215 using TIG then I will be very happy you did say that was TIG right.

Will be upgrading rig with TIG touch as I get the money, have some other accessories I am saving up for right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X