Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New, got NEMA 6-50R in garage this weekend Now What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha! You left yourself hangin out there for me to really hit a home run on there Oli....about the needing the thick stuff comment...I'm gonna pass on it...in good taste of course....<br />
    <br />
    Johnny...you'll find a need to light up on low amperage comes in very handy, especially on race car stuff. A good, stable low amperage arc is quite valuable on many things. <br />
    <br />
    So you have this new socket, but size wire and breaker did you put in?

Comment

[QUOTE=
      So you have this new socket, but size wire and breaker did you put in?[/QUOTE]

#6 AWG 50Amp

Comment

Hood: Miller Classic with 2x4 lens good starter hood But hoods with lager viewing areas work better with by-focal glasses on, if you're half blind like me.

Gloves for tig I like tillman 1338's for mig I use Black Stallion BM88's. Black Stallion also has welding sleeves, I like the BSX Hybrid Sleeves They last a long time.

That 210 In this post looks like a good choice to learn and grow into.

20 amp's at the bottom should do you just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyappleseed View Post

#6 AWG 50Amp

Nice setup. I'm now running NEMA 14-50Rs on most of the outlets. Built 1 foot adapter cables for the welders with 6-50R, L14-30R, L6-20R, etc on one end, 6/4 SOOW and these on the other end:

https://www.amazon.com/Eaton-5745N-1.../dp/B00HJIXE5O

Next upgrade is to provide a 150A circuit for the "big" welder I'm considering and new plasma (replacing my ESAB)

Comment

Originally posted by Oldgrandad View Post
            Hood: Miller Classic with 2x4 lens good starter hood But hoods with lager viewing areas work better with by-focal glasses on, if you're half blind like me..
            And that's the truth! When I went from a lifetime of 20/15 vision to trifocals in a period of about 6 months, my trusty old 2x4" hood went from fine to useless! I got the biggest viewing area I could find, or would have had to quit welding.

Comment

I was on the fence between the 200 and the 215 also. I have to say unless your in a type of environment where your machines get used hard and beat around I don't think you can beat what the 215 can do for what it's selling price is. Plus $200 back for the rebate is a steal. I bought it over the 200 and I use mine almost daily. It's the type a machine that you won't outgrow because everyone of these machines people are recommending are easily trown in the back seat of a car or pickup to run down the street to do a quick job. Sinking $3k-$4k into a welder to start out for a the beginner hobbyist is insane.

No no matter what you buy down the road, I bet you'll always keep the 215 (or the 200) just because is so **** portable. I have more equipment then I can shake a stick at at my disposal and I bought the 215 just because I was looking for a duel voltage machine that was more portable then my Hobart 175 that I've been lugging around for 15 years. Having to carry a generator to use it in places there wasn't 220v outlets just got to be too troublesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Lostone View Post
                I was on the fence between the 200 and the 215 also. Sinking $3k-$4k into a welder to start out for a the beginner hobbyist is insane.

No no matter what you buy down the road,

So the Syncrowave 210 your saying is to much for me. I have made mistake of under buying on 80% of my purchases. I was thinking the Sycrowave 210 is about the lowest AC TIG machine?

Any others have thoughts on the Sycrowave 210, someone in this thread recommended it earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyappleseed View Post

So the Syncrowave 210 your saying is to much for me. I have made mistake of under buying on 80% of my purchases. I was thinking the Sycrowave 210 is about the lowest AC TIG machine?

Any others have thoughts on the Sycrowave 210, someone in this thread recommended it earlier.
                  I Think so.

I stand and by what I said before. You will never outgrow a portable 110 machine and the 215 will do any thing that a beginner would want out the box. Just won't do aluminum But for $250 you can get a spool gun for that.

Last edited by Lostone; 12-20-2016, 08:06 AM.

Comment

I Think so.

I stand and by what I said before. You will never outgrow a portable 110 machine and the 215 will do any thing that a beginner would want out the box. Just won't do aluminum But for $250 you can get a spool gun for that.
                    And I still TOTALLY Disagree.... The SYNC 210 is an easy to use versatile machine... that you are unlikely to grow out of

The simple user interface makes it easy to get started....

I think that Lostone is confusing it with the Dynasty 210 which is quite complex

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...syncrowave+210

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post

And I still TOTALLY Disagree.... The SYNC 210 is an easy to use versatile machine... that you are unlikely to grow out of

The simple user interface makes it easy to get started....

I think that Lostone is confusing it with the Dynasty 210 which is quite complex

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...syncrowave+210

actually I think we're talking about two separate things. I don't believe you would outgrow the Dynasty 210. What I'm saying is for a beginner who as the OP said wants to "play around with welding" is that $3500 is a lot for a machine to may never get used do anymore then the $1400 Multimatic 215.

If the OP has the capital to invest into and thinks he will do doing a bunch of tig work, then yes go for the 210. But if he's going to just do some minor repairs on around the house stuff or auto repair, I think that the 215 or even 211 is the best bang for the buck.

nevertheless I don't believe either machine would be outgrown
                      Last edited by Lostone; 12-20-2016, 09:31 AM.

Comment

actually I think we're talking about two separate things. I don't believe you would outgrow the Dynasty 210. What I'm saying is for a beginner who as the OP said wants to "play around with welding" is that $3500 is a lot for a machine to may never get used do anymore then the $1400 Multimatic 215.

If the OP has the capital to invest into and thinks he will do doing a bunch of tig work, then yes go for the 210. But if he's going to just do some minor repairs on around the house stuff or auto repair, I think that the 215 or even 215 is the best bang for the buck.

nevertheless I don't believe either machine would be outgrown
                        Fair enough

Choice is largely dependent on his budget and expected future needs/wants

BTW the Syncrowave® 210 TIG MIG Spoolmate™ 150 Package is $2759 list NOT $3500
                        Last edited by H80N; 12-20-2016, 09:48 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Of course he'll outgrow a 115v MIG machine. They are so limited on their capabilities that it would be almost impossible, unless all he'll ever weld are car fenders, to not outgrow it even if he wants to build firewood rack. <br />
                          <br />
                          To me, in my opinion, the only reason you would buy such a small MIG welder is for a specific purpose, like welding thin sheet metal. I have one. My first MIG machine was a 115v welder and it was a huge mistake. Back then, I doubt they had dual voltage machines, so that's a benefit there with the new ones. <br />
                          <br />
                          And plenty of people spend a heck of a lot more for their hobby stuff. With a good machine, he could at least take on some side work now and then to help offset the cost.

Comment

The Multimatic is 110 and 220. You get the best of both worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post

Fair enough

Choice is largely dependent on his budget and expected future needs/wants

also I don't know why I keep saying Dynasty and not SYNC. And I meant to say $2500 and not $3500

Comment

I wish that machine was out when I got my first MIG. Although, I had never even heard of such creatures like MIG Welders for a long time. On the farm, we had an old massive AC machine. The kind you had all the sockets on the front and you had to move the lead to adjust the amperage. As far as I knew, stick welding WAS the only kind of welding and 6011 was the only kind of welding rod. Never even crossed my mind that there was something different. Then I find this "new" technology and think....hmmm, now wouldn't that have been handy.

Comment

Working...
                                X