No Intro Sub-Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Intro Sub-Forum

Hi folks! As there is no introduction sub-forum I thought I would introduce myself openly. I hope that is ok and that I am not breaking any forum rules. I am a complete newbie and don't even own my own welder as yet. I have joined the forum for information purposes and hope to gain as much knowledge as I can by immersing myself in the topic and asking lots of questions, all of which will no doubt sound pretty dumb to the more experienced of you. Please bear with me. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Well if we don't know your name, age, and location, have you really introduced yourself?
    HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
    HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
    HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Welcome Milter. What are your welding interests? What processes interest you? What do you want to build? I'm sure you will find many people willing to help. Don't be afraid to ask questions because you don't know much yet; can't learn without asking.

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I want to build a weightlifting power rack for use at home. I am sick of paying extortionate gym subscriptions. I found loads of examples for sale online at http://www.for-sale.com/ but they aren't cheap for something I think I can probably make myself with a little practise. Am I right in thinking that MIG would be the most appropriate welding process for a project of this kind?
        Last edited by Milter; 11-24-2016, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Milter View Post
          Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I want to build a weightlifting power rack for use at home. I am sick of paying extortionate gym subscriptions. Am I right in thinking that MIG would be the most appropriate welding process for a project of this kind?
          Sure. Easiest to learn and quite capable for a project like that. You will obviously need some practice first to learn how to do good MIG welds that have adequate penetration to provide the strength needed to support the weight, but it's not hard. It is possible to make MIG welds that look beautiful but lack strength. Please buy a quality welder that runs on 220 volts (or 230 or 240; some specify at different voltages but it is just a manner of speaking) or one of the multi-voltage (120/240) machines. Unless you are limiting yourself to sheet metal work, the smaller 120 volt machines don't have the power needed. There are loads of them for sale by people who were trying to save a buck, and found they were not adequate, so they end up buying a bigger one. Buying once costs less than buying twice. Also, look for a brand name like Miller, Hobart, Lincoln, etc. Buy quality, and you will not regret it. Look at the Millermatic 211 and Multimatic 215. The 211 is right around $1K; no rebates, and does mig only. The 215 is around $1.4K, and a $200 rebate (through 12/31/16) takes it down to $1.2. That gives you mig, stick, and the ability to add a tig kit later if you want. Depends on what your future plans are. These machines hold their value; used ones are almost as much as new. Both will run on either 120 or 240 volts. The Lincoln mp210 is in the same class but I like Miller; just a super supportive company that stands head and shoulders above the others, in my opinion. The Hobart Handler 190 is 230-volt only; the Hobart 210 MVP is multi-voltage. Hobart and Miller are both Illinois Tool Works companies. The Hobarts have "stepped" weld voltage adjustments while the others are continuously variable. I like the variable, but also have a stepped mig machine and it welds just fine. You can often find the Hobarts on sale at Tractor Supply and sometimes Northern Tool. Whatever you choose, remember it will be another couple of hundred for a bottle of 75% Argon/25% CO2 gas, commonly called C25.

also, check online prices (I often begin with Cyberweld), and then talk to your local welding store. You will be dealing with them for gas anyway; just ask if they can match the price. Mine almost always does, and you are building a local relationship.

If you do look at used Millers, understand that the 211 comes in two flavors; the older transformer-based machine, and the newer inverter-based version. I have the older one, which I bought on close out when they moved to the new model. The transformer models are a bit bigger and much heavier (you can still carry them around) but are pretty much bullet proof. The inverters are great, but with potentially much higher repair costs if out of warranty. Both weld great. If buying used, my personal opinion is I would look for the old one. Others may disagree, but that's my two cents worth.

Look around and ask questions!
          Last edited by Aeronca41; 11-23-2016, 05:20 AM. Reason: Added info on Hobart, and local store

Comment

You also need to consider what you're going to do for cutting and preparing the metal. You could invest in a good angle grinder that you can use to cut and prepare the welds. Depending on how big of metal you're planning to use, a good 6" grinder should be fine. My preference is for metabo, but only because they're awesome.

Comment

...and appropriate personal protective equipment-welding hood, clear face shield and leather apron for grinding, gloves, safety glasses--don't shortcut on safety, and while they are gross, do look at the scary videos on YouTube about angle grinders to keep you focused. For small work, even 4-1/2 inch grinders will work fine, but Ryan is right-the 6" Metabo is awesome.

Dont know if you wear glasses or not, but just as an added layer of safety, my optician made my trifocals out of ANSI Z-whatever-it-is rated safety glass (plastic, actually). Only cost a couple of bucks more. NOT an excuse for short cutting other eye protection, but just additional insurance.

Comment

Weclome, Welcome.

We will help you out

I would personally want to get a machine that can do more than just one proecess because it allows you to do more. I think that if you can either Stick and TIG or Mig and TIG, then there is nothing you can't do, and no metal that you can't technically weld, you just have to learn how to weld it.

I personally lean on the Stick and Tig side and find it to be true, I Stick pretty much any steel I deal with including some heavier stuff and TIG stainless and aluminum on a regular basis. The fact that I can do more than just one process is what I really like about it and I would recommend that as well, if you are buying a new machine, might as well buy one that allows you to expand on your skills and hobby's or profession.

But as mentioned, make sure you get the personal protective gear, important stuff. A fast way out of the welding world is the lack of the right gear to protect you, I know a lot of guys that got scared off early on because they did not wear the right gear, or any gear to protect their body and got burnt or their eyes got damaged.

Enough of that, hope you like it here, we try to be nice
                if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

Z87.1. <br />
                  <br />
                  I'm pretty sure.

Comment

Yep-that's it.

Comment

Working...
                    X