No announcement yet.

Which new stainless wire for hobby use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which new stainless wire for hobby use?

Just read the latest Miller eNews about the expanded Hobart stainless steel filler metals.

I have a 211 welder with 75/25 for hobby welding. I also have the spool gun and a small tank of Argon which I have not used yet.

I was given a small spool of stainless wire a while back. I asked by LWS about the gas requirements and they said they only sold the larger tanks of the gas and it was pretty expensive.

Are any of the new wires good for hobby use with the gases I have? Do any of them come in small spools for use with the spool gun?

Although not the best 75/25 can be used with stainless if needed. It does lower the corrosion resistance. It all depends how critical the pc. you are welding is. If you are just practicing to play around with stainless then use 75/25 without a second thought.

Tri-mix has always been reccomended for stainless. I have not kept up with current trends so not sure if anything better has come along. I have an 80cu bottle of tri-mix that my lws got me. I would check around other places who may have a small bottle.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

I agree about the 75/25 mix and the rusting issues associated with the weld (functional but it rusts). I think I read that straight argon would be a better choice. Since I have that I will practice stainless and aluminum with the spool gun by just swapping spools in the gun.

The advertising makes it sound like they have these new recipes implying that the welds will not rust:
      Flux-Cored Wire
      We offer gas-shielded stainless steel flux-cored wires through our FabCO product line, which produces a bright, flat bead profile; clean and easy slag release; minimal spatter; higher moisture resistance; and excellent overall weld bead appearance. Each of our FabCO stainless steel flux-cored wires is formulated to operate with either 100% COx or a 75%/25% argon/CO2 mixture. The wires are packaged in vacuum-sealed bags, precision layer wound, and classified for all-position use. These features allow us to provide consistent, repeatable results for the widest variety of applications.

Comment

The gas flux core for SS is great. It comes in many flavors and saves you buying a tri mix bottle. All of the bigger shops are going that route for that reason. Just my .02...Bob
        Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
        http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Flux core works great. Stainless mig with tri mix and solid rod works but is very hard to get good looking welds. Lots of spatter and bead form just isn't the best. Flux core on the other hand is quiet, low spatter, and lays down smooth and nice with great penetration. The wire recommends 75/25 but pure co2 seems to work better. As far as rust, it's stain less not stain free. For the best corrosion resistance welds should be treated with pickling or passivation.

Comment

Good stuff, thanks for the answers.

Comment

Don't know about spool sizes for Hobart but there are some 2# on the market of you look around. Buying 33# for a 20 minute job doesn't make sense...Bob
              Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
              http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Working...
              X