Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonna Go Migging, What do I buy?

Well,

Got a job to build a fairly large tire rack and I am being told the best way to go is MIG, some nice flux cored still wire and the squirt gun.......................................... Would much rather stick it but Im being told that Migging it will be a million times faster and so much easier and I figured, ****, never really did anything big with MIG, only small stuff so might as well give it a go so here we are!

Now I need some help on what to buy for it, Its a Lincoln ( i know, I know, not my machine) and I need to know consumables, what items are common wear and tear for MIG, especially since its not my machine I want to replace the consumables I will be wearing out, I am having someone check wire sire on the flux core wire and the model number as I am not on site but I would appreciate some help on figuring out how to select everything.
    if there's a welder, there's a way

Okay, so I spoke to my LWS and they helped me out so now., is a 125 HD Lincoln welder enough to weld schd 40 pipe, its not for water, gas or anything, just happens to be what the tire rack is made of. Will it do the job and do good enough welds, deep enough penetration etc.

Comment

Sch40 pipe means nothing on it's own. It, by itself, does not determine the wall thickness of the pipe. The nominal pipe diameter PLUS the Sch determine the wall thickness. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
      HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
      HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
      HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
      HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
      HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
      HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Okay, Its possible, my mistake. Its 2.5" Pipe, wall thickness is 0.203 which is close to 13/64"

Comment

If they only have 120v power at the location then use the 125HD but Fluxcore will only be slightly quicker than Stick.
          Ed Conley
          http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
          MM252
          MM211
          Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
          TA185
          Miller 125c Plasma 120v
          O/A set
          SO 2020 Bender
          You can call me Bacchus

Comment

I pretty much use my 115v MIG for nothing more than 16-ish ga, and my Lincoln 115v MIG is a little bigger than that. If I had to chose, based on the info you've provided, between that little MIG and stick, I'd tack it up with the MIG and stick it out.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
              I pretty much use my 115v MIG for nothing more than 16-ish ga, and my Lincoln 115v MIG is a little bigger than that. If I had to chose, based on the info you've provided, between that little MIG and stick, I'd tack it up with the MIG and stick it out.
              Ryan, that was exactly what I was planning on, might run a few MIG welds for fun bot planning on mainly sticking it.

Comment

And if you can use straight CO, that would help some too.

Comment

I am planning on Flux Coring.

Comment

Oh, well that'll be even better.

Comment

Working...
                    X