Millermatic 130XP issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millermatic 130XP issue

Hey guys. I have a Millermatic 130XP and it has a problem that I hope someone here can diagnose for me. It occasionally welds well, and then sometimes will start to sputter. It does not have anything to do with overheating, because it will sometimes sputter off the bat after just being started. I have no idea what would make it weld great sometimes and then start sputtering other times, sometimes while working on the same piece of weld. I have changed the tip, but that didn't resolve the issue. Any advice? What should I be looking for?

Sounds like a wire feed issue. Have you monkied around with the stuff that effects the feeding process of the wire? Roller tension, clean the liner, etc...

Comment

Make sure the gun is plugged all the way into the drive..Bob
      Bob Wright

Comment

I have played around with the tension. Wire seems to feed OK and at a constant speed.
        I have not cleaned the liner, how do you do that?
        Gun seems to be plugged in all the way, but Ill double check it again tomorrow.

Comment

1. Keep gun cable as straight as possible.
          2. Make sure ground cable has good connection. Grind a spot shiny on whatever you are welding if necessary.
          3. Make sure nut holding spool of wire is minimum tightness to keep spool from unwinding on its own.
          4. Check tension on wire feed as described in manual. Barely tight enough to make wire coming out tip to push back against something.
          5. If it's real hard to pull wire out of tip by hand, might need to remove wire and blow out liner.
          Miller Challenger 172
          Hobart AC/DC Stickmate
          Older Sears AC Stick machine

Comment

Hey guys im new here. Just wanted advice on welding some round tubing to 1/2" steel plate. The tubing is 1/2" wall thickness. Tubing is held in a horizontal position and cannot be moved which is why im having trouble with the weld puddle running and not being able to control it. What is the best pattern to use? Im using a Millermatic 252 with 0.35 solid wire and 75% Argon 25% Co2. This is a pic of how the first one turned out but i was hoping to make the second one look cleaner. My biggest problem is welding up under the bottom of the tubing the puddle is droopy and i cant control it.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hey guys im new here. Just wanted advice on welding some round tubing to 1/2" steel plate. The tubing is 1/2" wall thickness. Tubing is held in a horizontal position and cannot be moved which is why im having trouble with the weld puddle running and not being able to control it. What is the best pattern to use? Im using a Millermatic 252 with 0.35 solid wire and 75% Argon 25% Co2. This is a pic of how the first one turned out but i was hoping to make the second one look cleaner. Im having the most trouble welding up underneath the round tubing because my welds are drooping.

Comment

.045 gas flux core would be a better choice of wire. Heck even .045 solid. Just my thoughts.
                Bob Wright

Comment

mm252...maybe start your own thread instead of posting a completely unrelated question under this one. <br />
                  <br />
                  We are pretty much kings of getting off topic in our threads, but it's usually spun that way through conversation. You'll see. We're good at it.

Comment

What a hijack

Comment

Ya, it happens. We'll probably forgive him though....<br />
                      <br />
                      Any improvement on your issue?

Comment

Thanks for asking, I did not have time to go and check all those things. Maybe Ill find time tomorrow. Ill post back once I look it over.

Comment

Working...
                        X