Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olivero
    replied
    Yeah, I wouldn't be doing it for the money necessarily, more for the experience. I don't think I would do it for a living but more to just try it out so I have done it. Like skydiving, try it a couple of times just so you've done it.

Leave a comment:

• Lostone
    replied
    Originally posted by MAC702 View Post

Not just cool. COLD. None of your jobs will be weld something to a yacht hull in the Caribbean, getting paid by the owner in a bikini. It will be a cold, dark river outlet or something. Did I mention cold?
    I had a friend of a friend who did that kind of work on oil platforms. He said that it's not all it's cracked up to be and there wasn't as much money in it as you would think, unless you owned the welding company. He also said the there's not a big of a demand for it as one would think. It's a very specialized field.

Leave a comment:

• Olivero
    replied
    Really? Darn, that's what I was hoping for though......

Still sounds awesome though, I am guessing you have done it?

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    Originally posted by Olivero View Post
    ...Was looking into underwater welding too, that stuff sounds cool.
    Not just cool. COLD. None of your jobs will be weld something to a yacht hull in the Caribbean, getting paid by the owner in a bikini. It will be a cold, dark river outlet or something. Did I mention cold?

Leave a comment:

• Olivero
    replied
    Interesting, yeah I know what the "get it fixed right now, just make it go" is like. Always fun.

That stuff really sounds like fun, out welding in interesting places, always wanted to try that.

Was looking into underwater welding too, that stuff sounds cool.

Leave a comment:

• Lostone
    replied
    Originally posted by Olivero View Post
    Wow, yeah. Never thought of the confined space aspect.

How was it, welding in a mine and all? Sounds pretty cool.
    In my day job I'm a heavy equipment tech by trade. I just got to do some of the processing plant repairs also. Most of those were the type of repairs were its "critical down" stuff where every hour your down is like $30k-$40k in losses. You don't have to make things look good they just have to last till the next planned maintenance. A "hole" lot of hole repairs in transfer chutes and such.

Mining facility welding is a whole different animal to what most people are used to. It really is about how fast you can get it done. We would hire welders all the time that just couldn't get that it didn't matter what it looked like, only that it needed to be going right now. They would spend way too much time getting the fit up just right and making every thing look pretty. The welding we did there is where I learned to fill gaps with stick that even impressed me some times.

I'm now in a nice "cushy" 8-4:30 government job were I get just about all the time, materials, and equipment you need to do it right. It's kinda spoiled me when I do work for myself and I got customers who want it right now as cheap and fast as possible.

Leave a comment:

• Olivero
    replied
    Wow, yeah. Never thought of the confined space aspect.

How was it, welding in a mine and all? Sounds pretty cool.

Leave a comment:

• Lostone
    replied
    I used to do a lot of welding on mine sites up inside of conveyor chutes and really really tight spots. There were times where you can hardly get your head in more or less flip up a glass. Its a really big a pain when you have to take your gloves and helmet off to set it to grind. A lot of times I just did it blind and let the thing darken.

Leave a comment:

• Olivero
    replied
    I agree with you Lostone,

I got my Titanium hood mainly because of the flip up lens (that beats a grind button in my opinion) but it had all of these cool features like the Arc timer, an alarm setting and all of this fancy schmancy stuff. Never used anything but the Arc Timer (keeps track of how much time you spend shaded) but that's it, so I understand where your coming from. All of the fancy stuff is just not really necessary. Its cool, but its fairly useless. Oh, wait, I did use the alarm once, set it so I wouldn't get sucked into welding and forget about dinner.

Leave a comment:

• Lostone
    replied
    Originally posted by Auto_Tech View Post
    I think the new ESAB A50 is a player --- having the grind button on the outside is a real plus...
    I don't know why no one else does this. I haves 9100 series SpeedGlas and I love the helmet and covers and such are dirt cheap but it's a pain to set to grind. It's impossible to do with gloves on. You have to take them off. It's even hard to do while wearing.

I wish instead of having marketing and engineering guys cram as much tech-n-cool cool crap into a helmet that they would talk to the people who use this stuff everyday and design something that is user friendly and not full of stuff 90% of don't use or need. Then we're not paying through the nose for gimmicks.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Mmm...I guess so.

Leave a comment:

• Olivero
    replied
    Its settled then....

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    BAH! Merely a novelty....

Leave a comment:

• Olivero
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    Still not getting as many hot chics as you would is you had that esab one. And being Scandinavian, you need all the help you can get!
    Haha, What are you talking about? American chicks love Scandinavians, that's a proven fact!

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Still not getting as many hot chics as you would is you had that esab one. And being Scandinavian, you need all the help you can get!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X