Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking into a new welder, advice appreciated.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking into a new welder, advice appreciated.

I am looking at purchasing a new welder. I have used a miller 150 and 252 mig welders quite a bit from exhaust welding to farm equipment repair. I no longer have access to those welders so I am looking at one for myself. I was thinking about a 211 or 252, until I found the multi process 215. For the price, would the 215 be worth it? I also want to learn how to tig weld, and this would be a good opportunity to get a tight with ought spendinget the money on a dedicated tig machine. It will not be for business use. It will get used a few times a week and the longest period of time I will be using it in a day will be an hour or so. What do you guys think about the 215?

Thank you,
    Ausitn

Never used one if it's as good as the miller 200 it seems to be replacing it should be a solid machine the 200 multimatic appears to be a little tougher for mobility

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I also read that the 200 may be a little tougher than the 215. This doesn't bother me because it will stay in the shop 99% of its life.

Comment

Personally I would buy the 200 but if a few bucks saved makes a difference the 215 seems nicE better than nothing and they don't lose much on the used market compared to the other Colored welders

Comment

Blue and red always sell well

Comment

The multimatic 215 is about 400 bucks cheaper than the multimatic 200 right now because of the rebates. I like the Multi 200 better for carrying it around but that's just me. Had the 200 had a Miller gun and not the Bernard the cost prob would be closer. just my thought..Bob
            Bob Wright

Comment

Do you guys know what machines the 215 compares to? For instance, is the 215 have close to the same output as the 211? What does the tig system in the 215 compare to a stand alone tig machine

Comment

I have a 211 and like the machine no problems. Kinda bummed just bought it about 6 months ago and wish i knew the 215 was coming out. Now i'm in the process of looking for a tig machine. Want to buy a used 211 for a steal? lol

Comment

Originally posted by Awac View Post
                  Do you guys know what machines the 215 compares to? For instance, is the 215 have close to the same output as the 211? What does the tig system in the 215 compare to a stand alone tig machine
                  Yes the 215 would be like the 211 mig. As for a close match to a TIG only machine there really isn't one. Its DC only and the Millers are all AC/DC Tig...Bob
                  Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by davidmelley View Post
                    I have a 211 and like the machine no problems. Kinda bummed just bought it about 6 months ago and wish i knew the 215 was coming out. Now i'm in the process of looking for a tig machine. Want to buy a used 211 for a steal? lol
                    Keep it and add a dedicated Tig machine with DC , AC and other features that are not present with multi-task machines..........I know that budgets matter but for the same reasons you want to abandoned your 211 now , once you starting welding Tig you'll soon find yourself wanting all the added features of a dedicated machine and will perhaps be looking to abandoned that one also.

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post

Yes the 215 would be like the 211 mig. As for a close match to a TIG only machine there really isn't one. Its DC only and the Millers are all AC/DC Tig...Bob
                      The maxstars are dc only

Comment

Tell us about your needs for portability (weight) and if you plan on TIG welding Aluminum (someday) - also resale value might be a consideration.

"What do you guys think about the 215?" - It's OK.

What do you think of the Syncrowave 210 - "Too $!"? (I hate Spool Guns, but if you're not doing much Wire...).

If all you need is TIG/Stick then Multiprocess is too much. Multiprocess is for a small Shop (one? Machine) where they have a couple of people do 'everything'.

Don't buy 'Bottom of the Line' in a Category, unless your needs are minimal.

Check out used prices (and Shipping costs).

PS: I've been spoiled by Equipment you don't need to purchase and 100% Duty Cycle I couldn't be without. What is your (and the Machine's) future.

We give more precise advice with a bit more input.

Comment

I have a spoolmate 150 i had a lot of problems with wire bunching up and breaking. And what a pain to get threaded back up. I think i will be getting Dynasty 210 after i save some loot.

Comment

Originally posted by davidmelley View Post
                            I think i will be getting Dynasty 210 after i save some loot.
                            The 210 it is ... (waiting and saving increases your options); you can change your mind, we've not run out of questions or advice until we've helped you.

Remember: Don't let us talk you into something you don't need or can't afford - Accessories are a must, and add a lot to the cost.

Bare Bones Pricing Example:

Miller Dynasty 210 TIG Welder $3,190.00
                            Miller Dynasty 210 DX TIG Welder $3,615.00

If you are serious about TIG get the DX (and learn to use the Bells and Whistles), if you're doing a lot of Stick then non-DX.

Both can do either but that extra couple of bucks will be the easiest decision IF you want to TIG.

Wait if you don't actually really need it now.

Comment

Originally posted by RobC View Post
                              Wait if you don't actually really need it now.
                              Who cares? When has that ever stopped a man from buying cool man toys and tools??

If I'm not mistaken, the 215's MIG is identical to the 211's MIG portion. The 215 simply has more bells and whistles for add-on's. I did have a problem with the drive motor sort-of, but I dropped it off at a service center 2 hrs away (none local). Aside from that, the 211 welds great. If I didn't already have a 200A-class TIG welder, I'd buy a 210DX. Eventually I'll buy a 280DX. Who knows, maybe even a 350.
                              Last edited by OscarJr; 11-08-2016, 10:39 PM.
                              HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                              HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                              HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                              HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                              HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
                              HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Working...
                              X