Stainless or not, what type of gas is required to weld in TIG setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless or not, what type of gas is required to weld in TIG setup

So this past weekend i picked up from local Tractor Supply some 16ga x 1/2" tubing and some 5/16 solid rod with intentions on making a small stand for a piece i made. Not having had time yet to actually get out to the garage to begin working on it, i wanted to make sure before i even begin whether or not i have what i need. So not paying attention at the store when i found it, im not 100% sure yet if the tubing is stainless or just cold roll steel. I know there are some tests i can do, magnet, spark/grind test and so on, but IF it is SS, will 100% argon work to weld it? and can it be welded to regular steel(horseshoes)

I was reading lastnight that you need a different mix to weld SS and no where could i find a clear answer on whether you could weld SS to different type of steel.

I only have at the moment 100% argon and 75/25 mix for my Mig..

Once i do the tests on the material, ill know for sure what i have, but if it is SS, will either of the gases i have work?

100% argon for TIG...... as a general rule........

(with a few special case exceptions)
    Last edited by H80N; 11-03-2016, 08:22 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

thanks, so the few places i found mention of argon/helium mix is for MIG?

Comment

Originally posted by cubangt View Post
        thanks, so the few places i found mention of argon/helium mix is for MIG?
        argon/helium mix is helpful to put more heat into aluminum TIG if your welder is a little underpowred......

also...... argon/hydrogen mix is sometimes used for SS TIG

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 200

Comment

ok, cool, hopefully its not SS only cause i didnt want to have mixed materials, but if i can use it and weld it, then dont matter..

thank you

Comment

Here is an article that explains further

Simplifying shielding gas selection
            How different gases and gas blends affect your welding application

http://www.thefabricator.com/article...-gas-selection

Last edited by H80N; 11-03-2016, 09:01 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200DX
            Millermatic 200

Comment

nice, thank you

Comment

ok, cool, hopefully its not SS only cause i didnt want to have mixed materials, but if i can use it and weld it, then dont matter..

thank you
                You should be just fine with %100 ARGON

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 200

Comment

Just sucks, that i need to add the stand after i had it finished and painted.

But really appreciate the information, thank you

Comment

If do end up tig welding stainless to carbon steel, get some 309 tig wire or you'll be sad.

Comment

Time permitting, ill be testing the tubing i have tonight and cutting up the pieces i need.. If not already called local metal shop and i can pick up 20ft tubing for $7, so not a huge loss if what i currently have doesnt work well for me..

Comment

... can pick up 20ft tubing for $7 ...
                        Would a 1" hunk of Rebar with a kink in it look more like a flower stem than a SS Pipe?

PS: Looks quite good so far. I can 'see it', a Sunflower, unless it's supposed to be a Daffodil.

Comment

well the tubing was to make a stand hinge, not the best weld, as it was little hard to get under the tubing to get a nice bead between the shoe and tube..
                          But if i make anymore, the hinge will be part of the first layer so i can get to it correctly

Comment

And suppose to be sunflower since that is what she liked/wanted.

Comment

... if i make anymore, the hinge will be part of the first layer so i can get to it correctly
                              Welding, fixed with love and a bit of paint.

Comment

Working...
                              X