Welding aluminum without overheating paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding aluminum without overheating paint

I got an interesting challenge ahead of me today.

I was asked if it was possible to weld onto the backside of piece of 1/4" aluminum without overheating or damaging the paint on the front side. Its a very artistic piece on the front but it was not mentioned until after the piece got painted, that there should be a handle on it so now I am trying to see if its possible to weld the back side without ruining the front side's paint job.

I was thinking that sitting the piece up so front and back are visisble and then putting a fan to cool the front as much as possible and then just welding the back side.

Anybody ever done anything like this? Any ideas are appreciated, going to be doing it today.
    if there's a welder, there's a way

Not possible. Wishful thinking.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Torchmate CNC table

Comment

See what you do is, calculate the time-dependent heat gradient distribution by way of the 3-D heat flow partial differential equation, using welding voltage and amperage to dictate Joule input. Set the boundary conditions to approximate the plate in the immediate vicinity, including the thickness. Find the maximum temperature using aluminum's heat conductivity once you arrive at a peak heat energy transfer to the area in question. Here are the equations:

2- and 3-Dimensional heat flow

Man, I loved doing this stuff in college. Pages upon pages of calculations.
      HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
      HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
      HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
      HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
      HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
      HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

42. That's the answer to your equation.

Comment

Wow. Well, I think I am just gonna go ahead and try it.... IT will either burn or it wont and most likely will. But hey, what can I say? Should have thought of it before painting it, guess they should get some touch up paint and hopefully it can be fixed up to look as good.

Comment

Originally posted by OscarJr View Post
            See what you do is, calculate the time-dependent heat gradient distribution by way of the 3-D heat flow partial differential equation, using welding voltage and amperage to dictate Joule input. Set the boundary conditions to approximate the plate in the immediate vicinity, including the thickness. Find the maximum temperature using aluminum's heat conductivity once you arrive at a peak heat energy transfer to the area in question. Here are the equations:

2- and 3-Dimensional heat flow

Man, I loved doing this stuff in college. Pages upon pages of calculations.
            Sounds really interesting, I would like to try doing that equation just for ****s and giggles but the link does not work.

Comment

Sure it is possible. Get yourself a 110V mig and spoolgun. Load it with industry standard .035 wire and have at it. Surely there won't be enough heat to burn the paint. Even welding the 1/4" plate would be a mystery if it welds...Bob
              Bob Wright

Comment

Machine a dovetail slot in the back and attach the handle mechanically. Or drill a hole to mount the handle with a counter sunk flat head stove bolt and fill the head with body filler so only the head diameter need repainting.
                ---Meltedmetal

Comment

I know i'm a day late (always a dollar short) but use the spool gun like Bob said and put the painted surface on a frozen wet towel just before you weld it.

Comment

Absolutely possible. Just get inside a vacuum chamber, remove the oxide layer from the handle and the spot it needs to be welded to. Press both together and it will cold weld, no heat necessary.
                    Ryan
                    MILLERMATIC 350P w/Bernard BTB300 w/XR-A Python 25'
                    MULTIMATIC 200 w/Spoolmate 100 w/TIG w/Wireless pedal
                    SPECTRUM 375 X-Treme
                    (2) DIGITAL ELITE helmets
                    Weld-Mask goggles/hood
                    OPTREL e684 helmet
                    SMITH torches
                    HARRIS torches

Comment

Thanks for the answers guys, ended up adding a dotted rivet type design around the edges of it so just drilled holes and threaded the handle and there, bobs your uncle.

Comment

If Bob was my uncle, he'd let me in his shop to play with his shaper and all his other cool machines. Then I might learn to run this lathe without ripping some fingers off.

Comment

Back when I worked as a mechanic in manufacturing, our safety guy sent me some photos of a guy that got wrapped up in a running lathe. I think the lathe had around a 16" swing, so it wasn't a huge lathe, but there was not much left of the guy, except for his legs. I have a little Grizzly 7x12 lathe, and I respect it just as much as I do the larger ones.

Comment

Wow, When you say not much left of him do you mean that literally? I don't have much experience with lathes.

My lathe is an angle grinder, a wood chop saw and my arms... sometimes a leg. I still do things primitively.

Comment

Originally posted by Olivero View Post
                              Wow, When you say not much left of him do you mean that literally? I don't have much experience with lathes.

My lathe is an angle grinder, a wood chop saw and my arms... sometimes a leg. I still do things primitively.
                              Here is a LOT MORE.... than you want to see

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...lathe+accident

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                              Dynasty 200DX
                              Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                              Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Working...
                              X